Guess What... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Guess What...

I got three ferrets. I went on vacation and came back with three ferrets. I have two males and a female. The smaller male is named Eli, and the larger male is Stitch (more mischevious than any I've seen...lol) The female is Bisou.

I just wanted to go to the store and play with them, but when we got there, my parents fell in love with Eli and Bisou and I wanted Stitch (I wanted the others too) so we got them. I think they're sick though.... They keep coughing and sneezing and Eli has diarrhea and is extremely skinny. The pet store we got them from needs to be closed down. They had syrian and dwarf hamsters in a cage together, and they had a guinea pig in a bird cage with a wire floor and no timothy hay. Poor thing was sitting in her food bowl. They had about 15 ferrets in this little cage that didn't even have a second story. They've had those ferrets for three months and haven't held them, so they weren't socialized when we got them, though they've caught on quickly. All of their animals were on pine bedding and the nails on the ferrets were over an inch and a half long. They wanted $180 for each ferret and Stitch and Bisou are 5 months old and Eli is supposedly 4 months old (he's tiny), but we talked them down to $100 each. I felt bad for them. Anyway, they have an appointment with the vet tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on their condition and I'll try to post pics within the next day or two. They are darlings, but boy, can they poop!

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I took them to the vet today... They all have slight URI s. The vet said that Eli is the sickest and told me to seperate him from the rest. I'm giving them duk soup and ferre-vite. They are on Amoxicillan.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 AM

Oh, those poor things. They are so lucky that you found them and opened your home and hearts to them. I can't stand the way that pet stores treat animals. I went into one by my house, and there was blood in the bedding of the chins' cages. I got physically ill, and haven't been back in one since. It's a little better at Petsmart/Petco and those style. Keep us updated on your little ones, and I would definitely keep all the sickly ones away from the healthy ones. You certainly don't want any more getting sick. Poor things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

What things can I do for them to make them more comfortable and to make them get better more quickly? Yes, I have them in a completely different room than my other critters. I suspected URI even at the pet store. I just wanted to get them out of there. I haven't been able to give them actual floor time until last night b/c we've been in our RV and there's not much room to run in there and there's lots of things to squeeze behind and get hurt. Eli didn't get too much floor time b/c he just lays there, so I let him out for about 10 minutes and put him back in so he could rest some more. Stitch and Bisou got about 2 hours of floor time. They were so cute. They were jumping around with their backs arched and hair poofed out, and they were making little grunting noises. They are a handful though. I had to keep the switch to the computer off b/c they kept on climbing behind the computer and I didn't want them chewing on a cord and getting electrocuted. I ordered a playpen for them that should be here within two or three days hopefully. When I move downstairs, they'll have the living room/dining room area to run around in. I love my ferrets. They are so sweet and have so much personality. I couldn't have asked for three better ferrets for myself...lol

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 10:30 AM

I don't really know what you can do to make them more comfortable. I know that they love lots of little bedding and extra socks to burrow in and chew up. I would definitely keep them quarantined. Keep up the good work.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If they're congested, you can steam up the bathroom a bit with the shower and sit in there with them for a few minutes at a time (being careful not to overheat them). The steam can help break up some of the congestion.

As you're already doing, quarantine from any other animals is essential. Also, make sure you completely finish the Amoxi, just like your doctor tells you to when you're on an antibiotic.

Congrats on the new additions and best of luck!

Stephanie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm already doing the steam...lol... I know I did that with my guinea pigs when they had it and it helped them.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
bird cage, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, food bowl, guinea pig, pet store, pet stores, pine bedding, timothy hay