Has your ferret ever lost it's fur? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Has your ferret ever lost it's fur?

Hi,
I'm pretty new to Paw Talk but it seems like a really great place so far!

I just wanted to let you know about an experience that we have had with our ferret and find out if this has happened to anyone else here.

Archangel ~she goes by Sister at home! ~ is about 8 years old. About 5 years ago she lost all of the hair on her tail. Then it grew back. Then it fell out again, taking all of the hair on her back too. My husband took her to a vet (who said that he was knowledgeable in ferret health). The vet told him that she had a disease (have no idea the name). It was something with a gland in her brain. He said that she could live up to a year with this disease if we did nothing. The only solution was surgery. They could take the gland out. He said that *if* she lived thru the surgery, she would probably only live for another year anyway. We chose to let her live the rest of her life with out having to go thru the pain and suffering of surgery.
What do you know? Her hair grew back! And she is still with us..... *5* years later!!!!!
Her hair comes and goes as it pleases. We have never taken her to the vet again (of course we would if she was hurt or suddenly got really sick).
Has anyone had this experience? Does anyone know why her hair falls out?
~Nellie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

anyone?
Wow, I didn't realize that Sister had such an unusual disease!
~Nellie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Nellie! I'm sorry! I am such a scatter brain... I don't know how I missed these posts (and it is even MY section )

That is not at all unusual! 2 of my ferrets do the same thing... I believe it has to do with shedding. Does she do this around the same times each year?? If so then that is exactly what it is, nothing to worry about. BUT deffinately keep an eye on her around the time she is shedding & monitor her eating, drinking & playing habits.
I am pretty sure the disease your vet was referring to is called "adrenal disease" which is VERY common in ferrets as they get older. (as is another disease called insulinoma) at the top of the ferret section are some links with more information on these.

and for future reference... if I don't reply to a post like this within a day or so... feel free to PM me & knock me over the head a few times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Nellie I just got a really food article on adrenal disease:
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17733
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

LOL! No problem. I was just surprised that I had the *only* ferret to lose her fur!

We've never really paid attention to when she loses her hair. It's something we've always said we were going to remember, but we somehow always think that she's not going to make it to the next year. Remember, she was only supposed to live for a year with this disease?

I will check out the article you posted! Thanks!

~Nellie
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 11:00 PM

nawh definatly not alone, my male (rescued) was in terrible condition, had no hair from his neck down. My unexperienced vet was insistant that it was adrenal and the only way to save kit was to operate right there and then. But the poor 6yr old male at that moment in time was dehydrated and severly malnourished and though the vet insisted on surgery that day also said in the state he was in only had a 20% survival chance.
so i refused, i thought id let a ferret vet take a look.
That vet tolld me to wait a few months, that the hairloss though most likely adrenal could have been due to the horible state he was in.
After waiting a few months all the fur grew back and the 6yr old mess has turned into a playfull 6yr old kitt.
Turns out it wasnt adreanal at all.
He still loses a rather large amount of fur during seasonal shedding which is still alittle out of balance due to the trauma but hes fine and its nothing to worry about.
So dont always take the first opinion!

Sorry for the length

Tags
adrenal disease