Have had my ferret for a month now... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Have had my ferret for a month now...

Ok, since I have never been that into ferrets.. I don't really know their personality!! My husband threw a fit for one in a pet store (Yes, like a child) I agreed, but he had to care for it... Well, needless to say... I have gotten attached, and i'm the one who cleans him, cleans his cage etc....
I have tried to research a ferrets behavior, but i'm finding out that they are all so different! Here are a few things that I have realized over the past few weeks that maybe some of you will be able to help me with!!

1. Was litter trained, and now goes to the bathroom just about everywhere but in his litter???!!

2. I know that they sleep 21 or so hours everyday, but Bear just seems to only get up and eat, drink, poop and pee through out the day... I never hear him playing with anything unless he is out running around after we let him out for playtime... Is this normal? Is he bored? Does he need a buddy? It makes me feel bad. He doesn't even get in his hammock on the 2nd level of his cage... He just curls up on the bottom level only which is on the other side of his litter box.

3. Play area~ We have a 2 layered cage for him... and when we let him out, we just put up baby gates so that he stays on the first level of the house.... he has some toys, tunnels and such but it just seems llike he is running the walls all the time or chasing us aournd?! Are we giving him too much space?? Do most people let thm roam like this??

Thanks so much to all of you, any comment will help .. i have read so many things, but I can't get a direct solution to any of the above topics!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Well I'll start with (2) first. They really don't play with much in their cage, at least mine doesn't, if they're alone. Mine loves to get out of the cage and play with the cat but she doesn't play with much in the cage. I have a four storied cage for her which is more than enough room for one ferret.

(1) Mine wasn't litter trained when I first got her. I had to move her waste into the litter box and every time I saw her go to the litter box I would give her a treat. It took a little while but now she does it instinctively and doesn't need a treat. I hope this helps.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 AM
Newborn Pup

Hmm...well, I have had ferrets for probably at least twelve years (different ones I mean) And a lot of his behavior sounds familiar. Mine are pretty boring in their cage too, it makes me sad. I have two, and I know they definitely get highly attached to each other. I have had three different ones who, after their companion passed away, turned very grumpy and depressive. However, others did okay with their new mates. I know they love to run around and it is definitely good to ferret proof a house (they can squeeze under doors) I would just suggest lots of love and playing and letting him roam. Be careful if you have any illnesses though, they say ferrets do not catch from humans but I and many ferret owners have proven this wrong.
Sadly I have no litter advice as I failed to train mine there, I forgot how we get our old ones to use their litter but the treat advice from Christine sounds logical and helpful.

He sounds sweet, I hope you get to enjoy a long time with him and can get your husband to help you out. Ferrets are a housefull.

Last edited by ThePaperRabit; 09-19-2008 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Had to fix some typos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Ferrets can definitely catch the flu from humans. That's what my vet said so whenever I'm sick I don't even touch my ferret because I'm scared of making her sick. I know I can be paranoid but rather safe than sorry right.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Part of the Pack

Lightbulb

What helped me with my two ferrets in retraining them to use the litter box was to purchase a large high back litter box and to place bedding (i used old pillow cases) all over their living space so they would see the entire area as a no no for poo - both ferrets are now using the litter box every single time they go potty.

... ferrets do not like to potty where they sleep.

R h a p s o d y -