He doesn't like treats! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Question He doesn't like treats!

I all, thanks for the ideas about static;

I've tried everything, yogies, processed treats, deli sliced lunch meat, chicken and gravy baby food, raisins, everything. He doesn't even like FerreTone! It's making training especially difficult since it's harder to reward the good behavior. Anyone have ideas for something I haven't tried? I really don't want to use anything like fruit or candies because I'm very concerned about his health and the potential for intestinal blockage. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 04:08 PM

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this board. I have 3 ferrets and one is a little skinny so I was told that whipping creme is a good treat. I asked my vet and he said that as long as I don't give too much it should be fine.. Too much will give them the runs. I use the whip creme in a can and my 3 just love it. Also mine will not take the turkey and gravy baby food if I put it on a dish but I have not found a ferret yet that will resist licking it off of a spoon. You may want to try that. One of my friends gives her ferrets a jar of turkey and gravy every other night and they are very BIG ferrets. Also you may want to try Liquilites--apple flavor. Mine love that and its good for them.
Julie
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

If your using for training it would be in small doses so you can try small pieces of fresh banana, tomatoes or even cut up grapes. Have you tried any of the soft cat/kitten treats like pounce or whiskas?? one of my girls' is really picky and she really prefers the softer treats over the harder crunchy ones.

where you able to get a humidifier? if so did it help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 10:56 AM

Exclamation

Hey everyone,

My ferret doesn't like any store bought ferret treats, fruits or cat treats. I am having difficulty litter training her because of it. Any suggestions?

Also I am worried about her weight. She is up to 2 pounds and she looks like a male. I could understand if it was winter but it is still July! Has anyone restricted their ferrets food and if so, I need some advice. I asked my vet about it last time she was in for her shots but the vet said she would have to consult with another vet.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Welcome to PT!

Each ferret is different in what they like & dislike. Try using regular food as a treat some ferrets that are rather finicky accept that in place of treats. Also have you tried ferretone? Many ferrets love this, although don't be alarmed if she doesn't. Be consistant with her, ferrets tend to be stubborn & some never fully litter train. Maybe just lots of praise when she does it right.

I am kinda concerned that your vet would have to consult with another vet about weight issues. It makes me wonder how knowledgable your vet is with ferrets. Keep in mind depending of where your ferret came from and what blood lines she carries she may just be bigger. Personally I wish all my girls where big like my boy is, one of them is close though. As far as weight being a concern... what kind of food are you feeding her? As long as you are feeding a good quality food I wouldn't be too alarmed.
Is her activity normal (ie: eating drinking, playing, etc.) Have you noticed any recent behaviour changes? How long have you had her? Has she always been bigger?

If you have a picture of her by chance, post one so I can see what you mean by her being so large.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 11:18 AM

When i first purchased 1 of my two boys, the ferret was extremely tiny. I figured so but when i went to the vet for his first shots the ferret only weighed about 1.5 lbs which is not that small but compared to my other ferret which weighed about 2.3 lbs, he looked a little small to me. The vet also confirmed that my ferret was a little to small but not in the dangerous zone.

After keeping the small ferret for a couple of weeks, the next time i went in for the next set of distemper shots my ferret weighed about 2.2 lbs and the last time when he got his rabies shot he weighed 3 lbs while my other ferret (the larger one in the beginning) weighed the same (2.3 lbs).

There is nothing that i did different but fed my ferrets the best quality food that i could find them. I feed my ferrets 8 in 1 Ultimate, Innova, TheFerretStore.com Superior Choice Natural Ferret Diet, and Royal Canin kitten food. All of these foods are a bit pricey but it is worth it. I think it was the lack of protein and other essentials in the marshall ferret food that the petstore had them on before i got the ferrets.

Now if the ferret is overweight which 2 lbs does not sound overweight to me but i am still new to the ferret business. I think average females are suppose to weigh 1-3 lbs and boys weigh about 3-5 lbs. If the ferret is overweight then it may be due to not enough exercise, how long do you play with your ferret? Does your ferret have someone (ferret buddy) to play with when you do not or when your not there?

I talked to my vet when my ferret got to 3 lbs and asked how do i know he is not getting overweight now and the vet said as long as when the ferret runs, the belly is not hitting or rubbing against the floor. I would imagine a ferret would have to be pretty big to do that. Could be that whoever/whatever had the ferret before was not feeding it correctly and now you are seeing what the ferret is suppose to weigh like when fed good foods. I don't think i would worry about it unless it got past 3-4 lbs.

Oh, also about the treats. I have one ferret that will eat ANYTHING while my other ferret is the most picky little fuzzy ever. I think he just doesn't like treats because he is unfamiliar with it. It took my picky ferret a while before he would lick ferretone now he is running at me when i open the bottle. I kept putting the stuff on his belly so he had to lick it off. Now i'm trying to get him to try other treats but putting a few drops of ferretone over some other treat whenever the ferret does a good deed. Not really to sure how its going but even if he doesn't wanna try new treats at least i got ferretone he will enjoy.

Last edited by gto_cowgirl; 07-30-2004 at 11:22 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the info. My fert is only 4 months old and she has a 4 year old beagle and a 1 year old kitten that play with her for at least half the day. I am sure she gets enough excercise, plus the human play time she gets, she'll sleep for a good couple of days before she wants to play again.

I haven't tried Ferrettone but I will. I have to mix her hairball med with her food because she will not even eat that! She is extremely picky! She does love the dog food though! I'm not sure why she loves it, but I've started using that as a treat (a kernal broken up will do a whole day plus a little extra).

This is my second fert, but it feels like my first time around again. My last fert I had was in the late 80's early 90's and nothing was available for them back then. I'm glad ferts have come a long way since then.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 03:54 PM

Hey I just wanted to say i got some great ideas from this forum. I'm going to try the chicken or turkey and gravy baby food. My ferrets get raisins for treats but i want to wean them off them since I know they can be bad for dogs, they cant be that great for ferrets. they do love the ferretone though! is it pronounced "ferret-one" or "ferret-tone"? We just call it "tone" at the house, lol. thanks again all~
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

That is a great compliment! I'm glad to know you are finding information you need! If you ever need anything I am always here!

& the ferretone is pronounced "ferret-tone"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 10:54 PM

A good way to know weather you ferret is Under, Over or at the Just Right wieght, is by thier lower rib cage. If you can see the sides of the lower ribs, then he/she is Under Weight. If you don't see the sides of the lower ribs but can feel the sides of the lower ribs then he/she is Just Right. If you don't see or feel the sides of the lower ribs then he/she is Over Weight. Males are usualy about 16 inches in length and weigh from 3-5 lbs. Females are usualy about 14 inches in length and wiegh about 1 1/2 - 3lbs. Now on to the TREATS...

I have 3 ferrets and I noticed that my two males love fruity and sweet treats and my female love the meaty and some fruit treats. Most ferrets like Ferretone and Laxitive. You could also try Creamy Peanut Butter, Cooked Eggs, Chicken or Beef Broth, and Cereal such as Cheerios or Kix. That is all I can think of right now. I know my ferrets love the fruit in the cans I think is by 8 in 1 pet supplies. Buddy loves fresh bananas but he is the only one that will eat them. They all seem to love rasins, but you don't want to give them that to much because it can cause diahrea and other health problems. You could try dried fruits maybe. You may want to ask your vet what he/she thinks would be the best human food treats to give your ferrets. Good luck!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

very good info but just an FYI... this thread is almost a year old & the issue has assumingly been resolved

Tags
dog food, dried fruit, dried fruits, ferret food, human food, kitten food, litter train, litter training, pet supplies, royal canin