Health Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Health Question

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my biggest boy (Orion) had two sparse patches on his belly. One on each side, right around his hip area, just below his "belly button". They're not completely bald spots, but they're quite obvious circular patches with less hair. Seeing this, I looked at my other three and they all have them too...exact same spots, exact same appearance. That's three boys and one girl. At first it was a bit of relief to see that others had it too, but then I looked at my boyfriend's ferret and my rescue. Neither of them have the patches...Now my boyfriend's is still very young (~3 months old) and we have no idea how old the rescue is. The oldest of my four is almost a year old and the youngest is about 8 months old.
The patches haven't changed in appearance. They haven't gotten bigger or smaller since I noticed them. Should I be worried about this? I've read up on adrenal tumors, but 1) it seems highly unlikely they'd -all- have them and 2) the spots are so symmetrical and similar on all of them, it doesn't really sound like what I've read. Are these patches normal on ferrets or is a quick trip to the vet in order?

Courtney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 01:25 PM
gypsyweasel

Courtney:
What you have described just sounds like the beginning of a coat change. If I am correct in a short time these bald spots will start to look bruised. That is the beginning of the new coat.
The only other thing that comes to mind is possible a very rough flooring material in thier cage (like indoor outdoor carpeting)that is rubbing on those spots. If everything else is normal with them, I would just wait a bit and see if a new winter coat is in order.
Pat

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, I can definitely agree with you now. Both of my younger boys are in full blown fall shed, and the other three are slowly starting. I did notice the kind of bruised look that you mentioned, though at the time I wasn't sure if it -was- bruised or if it was just the color of the skin there since I don't usually see it through the hair.
I do have another question though. What else can be expected during shedding season (primarily fall shed if they're different)? Both the boys that I mentioned that have really started shedding seem to be shedding some weight as well. Starkes has always been on the smaller side and doesn't look too different (it could just as easily be the slimmer coat making him look smaller along with a little weight loss). But my youngest Orion, who is the one shedding the most and quickest, used to be the chubber of my pack. Not really fat, but he was always heftier and thicker than the others. He definitely seems to have lost weight. Is weight loss normal during the shedding?
*sigh* I'm just a worried ferret mom going through her first shedding season...And knowing about the problems that can plague these guys just makes me nervous when I notice these little oddities that I haven't seen before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:50 PM
gypsyweasel

Normally when winter comes they tend to put on some weight. Shortly you will probably notice they are starting to eat more and the ounces will start to pack on. What are you feeding them?
Pat

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

They get a mix of Zupreem and the ferretstore.com brand foods. They seem to be eating just as much as ever (little pigs ), but they definitely seem thinner. And it's only since they really started shedding that they've been like this. They've been getting hairball preventitive as well, so I wouldn't think it's that. Everything besides the weight is normal (water, input, output, etc.) Still extremely active (including the new thin Orion who tortures the others to no end...he's the little devil of the group ).