Help! I just added a kit to the family, and he's afraid of my adult. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Help! I just added a kit to the family, and he's afraid of my adult.

Hi, my name is Brini, and I'm really looking for help from experienced ferret owners. My baby, Winter Dragon, recently had to be put to sleep (R.I.P. I love you), and my remaining ferret, Brownie, who is about 4 years old, was really lonely. He's never been by himself, and while he was still ferret-y, anyone who knew him could see a definite drop in his happy-go-dooky behavior. So yesterday I took him to a pet store to pick out a cage buddy.
Now, when we got home, everything was fine for a while. They were playing and being ferrets and what-not. But then came rest and relaxation time, and when they woke up and started playing again, the new baby seemed scared of Brownie. I watched their behavior, and Brownie, far from biting him, is merely trying to wrestle and be playful.
I'm not sure if it's the newness of everything or what. The kit, although only 4-6 months, is the same length and nearly the same weight as Brownie, so I'm sure he could wrestle back if he wanted to. I guess, what I'm trying to figure out, is if this is normal "new ferret meets old ferret" behavior. Should I start from scratch and separate them for the time being during play? Right now they're in separate cages. Or am I just overreacting?
If any experienced owners could help me, that would be lovely! I really just want to make the both of them happy =/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hello,I'm sorry for your loss and congrats on your new baby. I don't know if you tryed this ,but when you let them play putt down lots of things that you new baby can 'hide in' and watch your other baby(things like tunnels and boxes, etc.,)play. Also try and put food in the middle of the play area so both can see it--using food to bribe ferrets usually works real well.

torigrrrl
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hey, thanks. I'll try it ^.^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Playful Pup

Could you put them in seperate cages for awhile, but keep the cages side by side? That way the new baby could get use to seeing the other ferret, but feel safe at the same time. After their use to each other you could move them back into the same cage together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
pet store, separate cages, seperate cages