Help Rescue a Ferret Rescuer - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Help Rescue a Ferret Rescuer

This was posted on one of the ferret lists I'm on. Jeanne S. gave me a lot of wonderful advice and guidance when I first owned ferrets. I felt this was important enough to post here.
Thanks

~Nancy

"Hi readers!
My friend Jeanne S is a ferret friend. She has been rescuing ferrets for longer than I have owned them. That's quite a while. She has raised money and provided medical care, surgeries , etc. for abandoned ferrets for years -- giving them a chance at health and loving homes in NY state. Now Jeanne needs some help too. Jeanne is on her 3rd chemo round for leukemia. She also needs marrow transplant-- her doctor is looking for a candidate who can donate stem cells, and her brother is NOT a match. The odds are great but I think we can help!

I am hoping in the ferret community we can help rescue one of our own-- so she can continue to rescue ferrets!
The screening process which is available at local cancer centers ( RED CROSS?) for approx $60- $100. (typing = extensive research to actually look at the genetic markers in the blood, to see if the markers match).
Donors need to pay this cost -- BUT - TO our advantage there is a NATIONAL DONOR DAY Feb 14th. Saturn dealerships across the country will pay the screening costs iif you get screened there- please follow the link for more information:
http://www.marrow.org/NEWS/EVENTS/DO...rday_2002.html

Should you be the match she needs her insurance will pay all the costs- and you can have the procedures done in your local hospital. You can specify you are only interested in being her donor -- OR you can be placed on a list to help others.
PLease consider helping us rescue this rescuer, the ferrets will appreciate it. Thanks for reading and considering the cause.

Alicia Drakiotes ([email protected])
shelter Mom and Jeanne's friend."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 01:43 AM
ChinTopia

I wish I could help, but unfortunately im in Canada, Hopefully due to your kindness posting this, someone will come to her aid!

Bad things happen to good people

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Update: Rescuing a Fellow Rescuer

As for my friend Jeanne S. a ferret rescuer in NY is still
looking for a stem cell donor. She has two remaining chemo
treatments. The donor she needs is for blood and not a marrow transplant - yet we have yet to locate a match in the donor pool. At least a dozen folks did apply and register on Valentines day at the Saturn dealership sponsored donor events however.

For those of you who would register but feel you cannot afford the fee -- Ferret Wise Shelter has an annonymous donor who has graciously offered to reimburse up to 8 folks their donor registration fees.
SO if you are young, healthy and can register at a red cross marrow donor center as a donor for stem cells please consider this - You will need to forward the original receipt for the testing/ registration fees for reimbursement to :
Ferret Wise Shelter
PO Box 561
attn. S-Cells
Marlborough, NH 03455-0561
Jeanne's doctor is hoping as we are for a match which would ensure a
lasting recovery from her illness - Thanks for asking!
Alicia, Jeanne's friend at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2002, 08:31 PM
Akasha

Awww I wish I could help too but again I'm in canada Very sorry to hear about her hopefully they can find someone

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Jeanne passed away this morning at 2am........
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:25 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I am sorry to hear that. I will pray for her family and loved ones!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.