Help! Stitch is coughing/gagging - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Help! Stitch is coughing/gagging

Stitch has been coughing/gagging for two days. He's thrown up foam twice. I know that they can get hairballs, but are they like cats where they hack up hairballs? I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I was hoping I could get some advice to help him until then. I gave him and the other two ferrets ferretlax. He's still playing. I don't know about eating or drinking because I'm not at home during the day when they're in their cage and I don't have food or water for them in the playpen (unless they're in there a long time) because they knock it all over the place and my dog gets to go off of his diet...lol.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I don't know much about ferrets, but I hope he's ok.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I do too. I'm worried about him. I took him to the vet today and he gave him an antibiotic. He said it could be an URI or something similar, or it could be a blockage. He said if it's an URI, he'll be better in a couple of days after being on the antibiotic. If he's not better in a couple of days, or if he stops eating, drinking or pooping, bring him back for an XRAY

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry for the trouble keep us informed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I will.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:27 PM

hey there..i have a cat...and a cpl of yrs ago when i went on vacation i left him w/ a pet sitter. well taking him to a new place an dropping him off w/ a stranger an being gone for a whole week made stafa stress out. The stress made him shed like crazy. When i picked him up an brought him back upon my return i noticed his carrying case had alot of hair in it an when i petted him i had hair everywhere. well he started the yaking up ..dry heaves an then there was foam...i got worried b/c i noticed a change in him. He would let u pet him anywhere near his bellyand he would go hide in a closet. I called a vet an said it would be bestto bring him in. They checked him out and wanted to do xrays after the symptoms i described an also b/c his belly was tight an tender comes to find out the stress of me lvg him w/ a staranger and a new place caused him to shed so much thathe had a blockage in his large an small intestine from the stress shedding. It's the only time he has ever vomitted up foam. he had to have surgery b/c the enamas the vet gave him did nothing to help him pass the hair. An xray will somtimes help show a blockage, if not and theythink it may be a blockage the only way they can find out for sure is surgery. Stafas showed only a possible blockage. i cried so much an just told them to go in an find out for sure. When they went in thats when they found out how bad it was. My thoughts are w/ u an ur lil furry one, b/c i know how scary this situation can be.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

How is he? I hope things get better, he'll be in my thoughts

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I just got him out to play with the others. So far I've only heard him cough once. Hopefully it's just an URI. Everyone in my family has had it and my guinea pig had it too.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
guinea pig