Here I go again... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Here I go again...

Time for me to start freaking out again... I just found out I'm killing my ferrets. I used ferret shampoo with aloe in it, not knowing that aloe can be fatal to ferrets. I've also been giving my babies Yogies which has sugar in it and 8-in-1 banana raisin treats, which are harmful to them b/c they can't digest fruit. And I've been giving them Bandit treats that has corn in it. God, I'm gonna end up killing them before they're a year old. I'm never going to be able to throw them the huge birthday bash I planned. I should've researched them for another year before getting them. I didn't find any of this in the five months I researched them before I got them. What else am I missing that could be harming them? Is the food I'm using killing them? I'm feeding Zupreem. That is what my vet recommended. He originally recommend Marshalls but I said I didn't want to feed that b/c it has by-products in it, so he suggested Zupreem. I noticed on the food comparison thingy, that everyone said 8-in-1 or Superior Choice... 8-in-1 has rice and raisin juice in it... Is that safe? Superior Choice has rice and Potatoes in it... Is that safe? Lamb is okay, right...As long as it's not the main ingredient? What exactly is Chicken Digest?... Nevermind, don't want to know... Is it safe though?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Newborn Pup

Zupreem ranks a 2 on this chart http://everythingfert.proboards36.co...ead=1109195167 - so it's actually a really good food.

Please don't worry about killing them. Knowledge is power and the more you learn the better owner you will be. We've all made at least a few mistakes, but as long as we are open minded to learn what's good and what's harmful, it's 1/2 the battle.

How often are you bathing your ferret? You should only bathe your ferret a maximum of every 6 months, unless they get poo messy or get into something. When you bathe your ferret you strip all the natural oils, which in turn, makes them smell worse than they need to and makes them overly itchy.

Here is a list of treats that are safe and good for your fuzzies
-Duck Soup
-Ferretone mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with olive oil - daily dose 1 dime sized drip
-n bonz
-foamy fries
-cheweaseles
-rosey's rewards
-totally ferret treats
*Note: your ferret may not like the treats that you choose as ferret imprint on foods/treats at a very young age.

Nutrition is my favorite ferret subject! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

So, it would be wise to pitch all the treats I have and buy those kinds? Also, I would like to give them two kinds of foods mixed together, just in case for some reason I can't get one kind of food, they'll still be able to eat the other without getting upset tummies. What second food would you recommend? Can they have potatoes and rice? What about raisin juice and banana puree? I'm not familiar with n bonz and foamy fries... Where do you get them? Somebody told me I could feed them baby food???

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Newborn Pup

Pitching those treats would be a good idea.

There are tons of great foods out there, but many more bad or harmful foods.

It's always better to feed a mix of at least 2, if not 3 different brands of food.

We feed the following foods:
-Natural Balance Cat
-Felidae Cat
-Innova Cat
-Natural Gold Ferret (really spendy)
-TFS Superior Choice Ferret

Usually for price the high grade cat foods are cheaper than the ferret foods because of sheer volumn of cats vs. ferrets. Actually Natural Balance Cat and TFS Superior Choice are basically the same, but about $1.20 cheaper per ounce.

Just write down all the foods that rank a 1 or 2 on this chart http://everythingfert.proboards36.co...ead=1109195167 and go to your store to compare pricing!

Totally Ferret Treats http://www.ferretdepot.com/Merchant2...roduct_Count=1
*I can also get these at my local Petsmart*

N bones http://www.ferretdepot.com/Merchant2...ry_Code=3NBone

Foamy Fries http://www.ferretstore.com/hy-103.html

Some people use meat based baby foods in their ducky soup, but it's not a complete protein like real chicken like in my recipe.

Good Luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Playful Pup

I am new here ,and where I live we dont have all these diffrent ferret foods and treats! at the moment my two ferrets are eating ferret pellets from Italy wich they seem to like best.they also love chicken, ham, the boy goes crazy about papaya,they like raisins, dried mango ,and seems to be in top form.
About a year ago we also could by Kaytee ferret food, but import was stopped it aperently has something in it that is forbidden here in Spain, no idea what.They liked that wery much.
Our ferrets do try new foods offerd them,we have not had such a problem with imprinting that is described here
It is very intresting to learn about it all
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah, Kaytee isn't a very good food for them anyway. What are your ferrets names?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchris_28
Yeah, Kaytee isn't a very good food for them anyway. What are your ferrets names?

Hello! The boy's name is Bisquit ,my daughter named him and our litle girl is Keira, they are absolutly adorable.
When my son show me how,I will post some pic's!
Is there anything apart from a high protein percentage that is very important to look out for in their food?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I look to make sure that there's no corn or by products, no BHA, and no artificial coloring. I feed mine 8-in-1 Ultimate and Zupreem.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
cat food, duck soup, ferret food