His poor nose! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

His poor nose!

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I recently got a little boy after much research and reading. We're having great fun with him and training is going fairly well. However, when he's bounding around and rolling on the carpet, he gets terrible static electricity, so every time he comes to wuzzle with us or touches something metal he gets a big shock on his sensitive nose. It obviouslly stings cause he shakes his head pretty hard right after. Obviously I can't chase him around with a can of static guard, but what can I do to help him? Would a spray on conditioner work? Thanks for your ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 01:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wow - no one likes static shock - poor baby

I'm not a ferret person - someone who is should be along real soon - but I was thinking...
When I have a "static" problem with my dogs or cats I rub a fabric softener sheet all over the carpet (unscented) where they are playing...

Would that be harmful to the ferret?

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Sometimes scents can be harmful to ferrets (ie: scented candles, air fresheners), they have a fairly sensitive respiratory system. If your house is also fairly dusty then I would say it may be too dry in your house. Maybe invest in a small humidifier for the room he plays in.

In the winter I have a problem with shocking everyone I touch too and if I run the humidifier I don't seem to have a problem.

Hope this helps! And welcome to PT btw!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

There is a product that helps with static. It is supposed to prevent it or something...they sell it with the fabric softners but it is not the same thing.

You could give him a static discharge hand band and maybe somehow use it as a belt? i don't know .. but it is supposed to discharge static safely without buildup .. a lot of IT people use them ...

Static basically means you have a lot of dry air .. if you got a humidifier that would help out immensely.