History of the Ferret - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Angry History of the Ferret

History Of The Ferret:

Ferret. To many people, that word is unfamiliar. They could not tell you what a ferret it, where it is from, or any history about it. This section will brief you on the basic past of the ferret.

As far as being a "novelty pet" goes, ferrets must be near the top of the list, although the are now the third most popular pets in the United States.
Click for the article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Herp Nerd

Let me add: -WERE- expert hunters. Ferrets, due to being domesticated for so many centuries, have all but lost their instinctual hunting nature and have -no- ability to survive in the wild any more. They still have the typical predator instinct to pounce on small things that are moving, but it is highly unlikely that they would ever be able to eke out an existance in the wild. Several modern attempts at introducing wild ferret populations for rodent control have failed miserably.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Soo true Rav!

Thanks for clarifying that

I do know however that in England some people do quite often still use Ferrets for hunting rabits. I'm pretty sure here in the US that is illegal anyway??

I think you're right in that domesticated ferrets would no longer be able to survive in the wild!

Last edited by fstybrat; 02-23-2003 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Herp Nerd

There are specific licenses for using predatory animals for hunting. One for falconry, the typical duck hunting license usually makes allowances for dogs, etc. Since most rodents are open season, I don't see why hunting with ferrets wouldn't be legal if you trained them so and of course they were legal in your area.

Even with hunting training, I highly doubt a ferret would survive long in the wild.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 01:32 PM
ferret_frenzy

I think another good reason why a ferret would not survive the wild, would be temp control. Too cold or too hot!

Fsty, I too heard that it is illegal in some areas, to use Ferrets for hunting, especially in those areas where they don't even allow ferrets in the first place.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 09:19 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Fsty how did you become such an great source of ferret information? I am really enjoying reading all this stuff. I will post the few questions I have when I find out where to post them? I am getting there. I think?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

KaileyandKalob,
I too wanted to know as much as I possibly could about ferrets before I got them (about 3 years ago Now). I spent many hours searching the net for any info I could find to widen my understanding of their needs and likings. Of course I still don't know it all and learn from them every day... quite often I save searches I have done in my favorite places so I can go back and read it again if I need to. (is that cheating??)
As for asking lots of questions about your ferrets, you are most definately in the right place!
If for whatever reason I do not know the answer I will do my best to find it for you!

I'm glad you're here...