How many ferrets? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Question How many ferrets?

Hi,
I'm new here and have joined mainly to ask for other people's input on the pros and cons of having one ferret or more.

Up until about 18 months ago we had a darling little male, named Scallywag. He developed Adrenal Disease and then Insolinoma, so eventually when we could no longer keep him comfortable we let him cross the Rainbow Bridge. I couldn't think of replacing him until just recently - he was so very special and my first real pet.

We have found a breeder we feel is reputable and are wondering if it would be a little less demanding physically on us (as we're both nearing 60) to have two ferrets so they will play with each other and get more or their exercise that way. We played (and I do mean actively played!) with Scallywag at least two hours every day. He loved to play 'You-chase-me-then-I'll-chase-you', but I'm not sure we're up to that for the next 8-10 years.

Our concern is that if we get kits from the same litter they will bond less with us, their humans, than with each other. It would be really disappointing for us to have that happen because Scallywag was so well bonded with us.

What do you think? What are the pros and cons as you see it?
Thanks so much for any ideas offered. We appreciate it.

Maggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Maggie- Welcome to Paw-Talk!

I have NOT forgotten you My reply will be sorta lengthy so I want to do so when I can take the time to sit down & answer everything I can for you (just didn't want you to think you are going unnoticed) I will try to get to it yet tonight!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

ok- I'm back, sorry to keep you waiting

I have 4 ferrets. To be completely honest I would reccommend at least 2 if it were in your budget both immediate & long term. By having at least 2, they get less bored when they are in their cage & have that companionship. They may or may not bond with each other- but as long as you pay attention to them too you will also bond with you as well.

Having 1 ferret is certainly an experience as you already know- but having TWO (or more) is just undescribable! They are so funny to watch while interacting with each other! They are just a bundle of joy. Truthfully- the only con I see to having more than 1 ferret is the added cost of food (not that they eat a whole terrible lot)- potentially more frequent litter/bedding changes & likely increased vet bills (especially as they get older.) I'm sure you probably thought of these things though.

My best reccommendation would be if yuo are going to go with 2, get them at the same time is feasable, that way everything is new to them & you will all adjust together. I'm sure you will make the right choice for you & your family! I would be more than happy to help in anyway I can!! I am always just a post/PM/email away

I'd also love to hear an update on what you decided & maybe even so me pictures when the time comes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Smile Thank you for your input

Hi fstybrat,
Thank you for your thoughts on my question about how many ferrets. I hadn't thought of the fun of watching them interact with each other - I can imagine the hooplah!!

Actually we think the cost of buying a ferret is next to nothing when you look at the price of dogs! But my, those vet bills sure do mount up quickly! Once our little Scallywag got sick it got really expensive. I figure on never having less than 1,000 dollars set aside as a buffer with 2 ferrets. Scallywag also had a really sensitive digestive trac and was on special food, as well as terrible skin dryness......so we had some pretty hefty med. bills for him......still he was worth every penny.

Thank you again, for your thoughts.

Maggie

Tags
adrenal disease