I may have a chance... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I may have a chance...

I may have a chnace of getting a ferret!
Well, for us in order to graduate high school we have to have a lot of hours of public service hours. I was thinking of how dogs go to hospitals to see the patients and make them feel better. Well, could ferrets do it too? They have shots and vet checks and can be trained, so wouldn't it work. I know many people in hospitals are scared of dogs, but love animals, so wouldn't a ferret be awesome for that?
If that isn't allowed, does anyone know other service projects I could do WITH ferrets? I have a chance of getting one, if there is such a possibility of working with ferrets, any info would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Gosh I don't know to be honest... but it sounds like a GREAT idea! It would be really cool to somehow educate the public to know that ferrets are "not" vicious like they are often portrayed. I think you should look into it but also weight the pros & cons... remember that ferrets as a general rule have a short attention span & don't always like to be held or cuddled so that may go against what you are trying to do... but that doesn't mean it CAN'T be done!

Let me know what you find out! (if anything maybe you would somehow go to a petstore or something & set up a table by the ferrets & educate people about them when they start looking at them, tell em something they may not have known. Not neccesarrily to make them buy one, but just to learn more about them?? just another thought)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Thanks for the ideas.

I was thinking of getting a ferret that's a few years old because my parents don't want to take care of one when I'm at college. They don't like ferrets. So, I'll try to look on petfinder for a friendly one.

I'm also gonna do a lot of research, and my violin teacher is friends with a lady that takes her dogs into hospitals, and she's gonna talk to her for me about ferrets and what the rules are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

This guy seems perfect, and he's located really close to me!!!

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...w=0&tmpl=&stat=

What do you think?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:00 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow...what a great idea!! The ferret in the petfinder add is precious. He could be a winner. Good luck with your project. Let us know how things turn out.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 12:05 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That would be so awesome. Mike actually mentioned the other day that he would like to have a ferret. I was like "What? You want to add to the apartment zoo that we have going here?" And people think I'm the one in our relationship that gets all the animals. We probably won't get one though because #1 they are illegal here, and #2 I've heard they don't get along too great with rabbits. They are awesome though. I hope you can get one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:51 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

He's a doll! How great of you to adopt one from a shelter rather than a petstore (not there is anything wrong with petstores, the ones at shelters have been through a little more though) You'll have to keep me updated

And Steph... you are 100% right rabbits would be more like prey to a ferret so I personally wouldn't tempt fate (and again right that they are illegal in CA bless your heart for even acknowledge that, many people ignore it & smuggle them in anyway )
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Kay. Yep, my friend had one here and we just loved her. She would take her out in public on a harnass and I thought she was crazy to risk having her taken away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I have rabbits, but I think they will be okay. They're outside and have their little fenced off area, and my ferret, if I get one, will only go outside with ME on a harness.

I read that they sleep sixteen hours or more everyday, is that true? And would it be okay to keep him in my room? I really hope hope hope that I can get one. Everytime I think of a ferret I get all excited and my heart beats faster and I get butterlies in my tummy. I'm in love with a ferret!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Yes it is very true that ferts sleep alot! usually they are up only a couple hours at a time... and providing you have adequit (sp?) room you most certainly could keep them in your room. I would make sure to have a cage for them though for when you are not around. and also make sure you ferret proof as best you can anywhere that they may be allowed to roam, whether you are right there or not they will do their best to find a way to get stuck somewhere or into something not so good for them.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I'll probably get the three story cage if I ever get a ferret, and my room is pretty safe, except my pc area, but I'll think of something.

My parents are so strange, if they ever let me get a pet they don't really like, like my mouse, they will make sure that everything is allright with the cage, food, etc. My dad's on another business trip, and he only heard my idea over the phone when he was really tired, I want him home right now!!! I want a ferret of my own!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

These were two cages I was thinking of...

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1095289084468

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1095289084459

There is one at my LPS that's by that brand, but it's as big as the first one, but it has the tubes, too, so I like that one.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I would go with the first one (Super Pet Deluxe Multi Floor Ferret Home) befire the second one... ferrets love variety and room to climb & that would allow more so for them. it would also give you more room for hammocks & tunnels & such.
I always say if its feasable, the bigger the better.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Misses Her Smilie Titles

My parents said no to a ferret. Just no, they gave me no reason except they don't want anymore pets! I don't get it, we have the room, time, and money that is needed to keep a ferret, and they said no! My parents wouldn't even listen to me! I wish they could understand how badly I want a ferret. Haven't they ever wanted something so badly, and they couldn't have it?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Aw hon, I'm sorry
Although sometimes you have to remember that although you may not understand why, parents almost always have a reason for why they say no.
Unfortunate as it may seem to you right now, I'm sure they have a good reason.

Tags
pet store