I might be getting a ferret and I have some questions... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I might be getting a ferret and I have some questions...

I might be getting a ferret (or 2!) have a few questions...:

What should I feed him?

What kind of toys should he have?

Are there any special things he should have?

Can I use cat litter in the litter box?

Please give me some suggestions or help me!

~~~EMMA~~~
Mother of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~PoohBear, Femur, Trixie, Thunder, and Lightning

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ Azula
~Emily Dot and Sprocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ferrets do better in pairs you might want to make sure there legal where u are as i no in some places they are not allowed.toys they love tunnels and hammocks, they also need plenty of time out of the cage and a full time commitment.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Last edited by Nibbler; 08-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I looked on pet finder and there was a ferret that was perfect for me, but doesn't like other ferrets so I might get him.

~~~EMMA~~~
Mother of:

~PoohBear, Femur, Trixie, Thunder, and Lightning

~ Azula
~Emily Dot and Sprocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

For one thing, they're carnivores, so a raw diet would technically be best. But I've read you have to supervise them if you're feeding them raw because they'll hoard the meat and...well... everything goes rancid, >.> Beyond that, feeding him high-quality, protein-rich, low-carb cat food would work, with supervised time to gnaw on raw meaty bones to clean the plaque off his teeth(because dry food and canned food are both major contributors to plaque - dry food doesn't clean anything's teeth unlike what pet food companies will lead you to believe, :/ It's like when we eat crackers; the kibble just splinters).

Taste of the Wild is protein-rich, as is Blue Spa, and Felidae. Before Grain is protein-rich, too.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Newborn Pup

Smile

This may be a bit late as I have just joined this forum today and this is actually my first post.

I will answer your questions from my own personal experiences. I'm not saying that my answers are the only options or the best options but this is what works for me and my three ferrets.

1. What to feed

I feed Totally ferret dry food or Zupreem dry food. You can find these usually at your local pet store. I also give them some drained chicken baby food (gerber or beachnut) once a week. Make sure if you do get them baby food to just get the ones with the plain meat with or without gravy no veggies added. Ferrets are carnivores and therefore don't need them. I also sometimes give them boiled eggs as treats.

Another important thing to think about is getting you ferrets accustomed to eating something known as duck soup.
Duck soup is a soup given to ferrets when they get sick. When ferrets get very sick they tend to not want to eat solid foods. Its important to get your ferrets to like duck soup BEFORE they get sick.

There are alot of duck soup recipes online and everyone makes it just a little differently. There is also a commercial duck soup available that you can buy if you don't want to make your own.

2. Toys

My ferrets really enjoy tunnels or anything that they can hide in. They also have some rubber jacks that they like to "steal" and hide around their room. Their favorite toy is actually ME so make sure you have alot of time to spend with your ferret.

3. Special things he should have

A nail clip, their nails should be trimmed often to prevent them from getting caught on carpets, clothes etc

4. Cat Litter

One of my ferrets would eat any littler I would buy for them, so I switched from litter and got washable potty pads. A good litter to try is Sweat Scoop but watch to make sure your ferret is not eating it.
Ferrets like to poop in corners so when you let him out I would have a litter pan in a corner for him as well as in the cage.

Lovingferrets forum is a great place for more info

I would post a link but I can't as yet

Good Luck

Tags
ferret adoption