I need a ferret! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I need a ferret!

I am located in North Central arkansas any am lookin to buy a couple ferrets. I have been unable to find any breeders and all of the pet shops prices I have found are way out of my price range. Can anyone tell me where to buy ferrets in AR or in southern missouri? Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

have you looked at the possibility of shelters?
Ferrets (no matter where you get them) are not "cheap" animals... you may find a dea; on the initial purchase, but have you considered the ongoing maintenance & life long care as well? That gets very spendy sometimes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

There are no shelters within many hours drive of here. I am well aware of the cost of raising animals(its not that much, and a lot less for a ferret) I have 3 black cats and a bengal. I am just saying that I can't afford to pay 120 dollars for a ferret(and I would need two because I would want the one to have a buddy), that is insane. If anyone knows of any breeders in Arkansas or sothern missouri please give me a holler. I know of many people that have gotten ferrets for $30-$40 but they don't remember where they got them or they got them many miles away on vacation or somthing. All of the pet shops I have ever seen will rob you blind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just to elaborate on Kay's points for anyone who may be considering a ferret, you may want to refer to this article:

http://www.neferrets.org/marapr03.htm#cost

Quote:
All told, a ferret owner can reasonably expect that, in the course of a 6-8 year lifetime, a pet ferret could cost them anywhere from $4,400 to $9,700. These are both the low and high approximation figures based on the cost breakdown in our new brochure, and they are accurate. Furthermore, these are only the high-and low-end figures for costs in Massachusetts. Other areas of other states may have significantly higher totals in some of these categories.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

All pets are expensive, and ferrets are up there with costing the most. I don't have a ferret, but I know a lot about them. Just a good cage can cost anywhere from $100 to $500! And since they need regular check ups and vaccines from vets, that's a lot of money too. The price of ferrets from pet stores actually isn't that much if you think about how much dogs and cats go for. I think it's good that they are so expensive because if you buy one, it shows you have the money and will probably, I hope, spend enough money to care for it well. Also, all ferrets need toys and high quality food, and that adds up to a lot of money! And since you want two, double all that money. I once did a price check to see how much it would cost to buy a ferret with everything and it came out to around $500 just for one ferret! That's around $1000 for you. I think, for right now, you should stick to wanting a ferret and not getting one. I really hope this doesn't sound mean, because I don't want it to. I know how badly you want a ferret, I do too!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Jade! Many people assume that just because a ferret is smaller is costs less... I am affraid this is very untrue! Because of the sensitivity of their respratory systems it can actually be cheaper in the long run to rais a cat or dog. To each his own I guess, but I feel that as long as I inform of the possible costs involved, then I have done my part...

Good Luck to you Beetle... imo, I would NEVER pay that little because you can be sure most likely there are underlying health issues or quality issues at those prices. On average a ferret costs about 100.00 sometimes you can get them as low as 75.00 and that is a deal. For a good healthy, quality ferret one should expect to pay at least 130.00 (this is just based upon my experience).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info guys. I agree with you millimi.After doing some research I have found that the people that said they could get a ferret for 20 or 40 are full of it. There is no way i will get one for that, especially a new one(by that I mean I would want them young so I could develope a good bond with them as the grow). I was just blown away that they cost that much. But heck I have spent more than that on animals before. I have a bengal and he cost me about $500 after all was said and done. I just figured they would cost less. I am going to put the ferret idea on hold for awhile, save a little money and get some later. Thank for all your help guys. Just curious, so when I do decide to get one, could you guys help me out on what signs to look for when getting a good healthy ferret at the pet shop.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I'm so glad you have decided to wait! I know how hard it is to wait, I have to wait until I move out because my parents hate ferrets.
I'm sure some of these ferret experts around here can help you out when you get one, I really couldn't help, but I'll try, since I don't know that much about them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 06:26 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I'll be here if ya need anything... I am by no means an "expert" but I do have quite a bit of knowledge & experience with them
I agree I think as hard is it is to make the decision to wait, I think you are making an excellent choice! DO more research on them & learn all yu can in the mean time... You may still find that later on you may still want one & then you'll be able to make a better educated decision as to if it is a right animal for you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Playful Pup

Let's see. I live in NE Arkansas, and some places are alot more expensive than others on ferrets. I bought my ferrets for 100 dollars each. Other places charge 150 or more. Petsmarts and Petcos take in ferrets that need a new home, so them stores adopt them out. There is also a ferret shelter in Fayetville, and the lady has 2 as of now that are trying to find good homes. Hope I have been of some help.

Leslie and Victor

~*Mother and Father Of 2 Boys*~

Xavier (9-26-02)
Joshua (12-19-03)

Our Ferrets Fuzzball and Smokey

Tags
black cat, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores