I need opinions please - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question I need opinions please

One of my ferrets has been having accidents in their cage which is made of wood. I have a stainless steal pan in the bottom but the top floor is wood (wood+accidents=not good). I was thinking of putting linoleum down on the top floor to make it easier to clean. Do you think it would be alright for my ferrets? Maybe I should make metal caps(for lack of a better word) to cover the ends where the tunnels are so they can't chew on it.

I smile because I have absolutely no idea what's going on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I don't know much about ferrets, but assuming it's ok for them to be on linoleum, I would suggest laying it out outside or something for like a week to let it air out. Linoleum STINKS! I put down linoleum in the chinroom and it stunk up the whole house for a week! The ease of cleaning is worth it though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking

Trust me I know how much it smells I work in a factory that makes it. My first week all I wanted to do was when I walked by the press and ovens. I just can't figure out if they will chew on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They may chew on it and to my knowledge, it can be harmful. You'll want to make sure they can't get to it.

An option you might look at is melamine coated shelves also and then cover the edges. Many people use them for their chinchilla cages and it works great, but also can't be chewed on.

Stephanie

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

If it is laid flat so they can't chew on it then it would be fine... but if there is any chance of them chewing on it then I wouldn't do it.
What you can do though however is take an old pillow case or buy a baby receiving blanket & cut a tiny hole in it so you can put a twist tie or zip tie through it & secure it to the corner of the cage on the shelf you are having issues with.

I had that problem too and thanks to the advice of another ferret fanatic I put "blankies" on every shelf in the corners & believe it or not NO MORE ACCIDENTS!!

It also gives them something to hide under & play with too!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah that's sort of what I've been doing but instead of blankies I just put their tent on that floor instead of using it upstairs when they're out. Maybe I'll just keep doing that.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 12:22 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Is it accidents or protest??? My ferrets protest and poop by doorways when they can't get in one they want into. You use corner litter pans? Some ferrets protest to that...they prefer to have their whole body in a litter box. When I first got Georgie she was about 2 and had never used a litter box..I put her in the cage with my Snuggles who has a cat size litter box which covers corner to corner of one side of the cage and she's never gone anywhere but the box in the cage! Maybe you could try a bigger litter box, or more of them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Playful Pup

The scoop on Poop

Hi Tweak! I had that problem with every new ferret I added to the mix- is he young or untrained? My best suggestion would be whenever you catch him going pick him up, say no, and put him downstairs in the poop corner. Thouroughly clean the area so it doesnt smell (wood it tough) and put one of their blankets there, they wont go where they sleep, at least not as often! For the future, that's tough, I still struggle with ferret poo, my ferrets use a litter box outside of the cage but when it's in the cage it turns into a toy. We have a tray under a caged bottom so the poo falls through but the piles go up quick when they stick together . If only ferrets could swat dig and bury! hahaha! anyway, that's my tidbit of advice.

Melissa :-)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutebugs
Is it accidents or protest??? My ferrets protest and poop by doorways when they can't get in one they want into. You use corner litter pans? Some ferrets protest to that...they prefer to have their whole body in a litter box. When I first got Georgie she was about 2 and had never used a litter box..I put her in the cage with my Snuggles who has a cat size litter box which covers corner to corner of one side of the cage and she's never gone anywhere but the box in the cage! Maybe you could try a bigger litter box, or more of them.
You know you could be on to something there. This didn't start until I started taking out some of there toys on the top floor to give them more room to play. So they could be a little mad that some of their toys are gone.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Playful Pup

Even when I put my litter box in the cage a few of my ferrets will move it or poop infront of it!

"There are no such thing as coincidences. Everything happens for a reason."

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thumbs up

I changed their toys and added a couple of things and they stopped... for now. I also decided to replace the wooden floor with one made out of stainless steal as soon as I can get one made.

Tags
litter box, litter pan