I'm curious are you? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thumbs up I'm curious are you?

I know ferrets are not as popular as a pet to many people as is a dog, cat, guinea pigs, etc...

So I am gonna try something sorta new!
Kinda like a question & answer game. Of course I don't know everything there is to know BUT I will do my best to find the answer if I don't! (I might learn something new this way too! )

What is something you have always wondered about ferrets?
What kind of information would you like to know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Kay one of my friends has two ferrets and I love watching them run around and playing! It's awesome!! I would like to own one (or should I say two!) one day but I know they are a lot of work and I'm not sure if I'm ready for it just yet!!lol
I have two questions!
Do they bite much (cause their teeth look real scary!)
And how do they go living with other small animals (like rabbits for example!)

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Carmen,

Ferrets are known to be "nippers" BUT can be taught not to. When they do bite as a general rule it is almost always when they are young & they are actually just playing! They have very tough skin and don't realize that thier teeth do hurt us wussy humans with thin skin. They are very easily trainable though it just takes time & patience.
As they get older they usually stop this behavior. None of my 4 ferrets bite (except Mojo when she is trying to get your attention, or Winnie if she is startled/scared cause she is deaf)

As for living with other animals...
I have heard many stories of them successfully running & playing with cats & dogs. I would not allow my ferrets around any type of rodent though because they are carnivoirs by nature, I don't think they would hunt them persay but to play with them more or less they would most likely end up killing them.
Rabbits? I don't know about that one... I don't know that I would trust it but then again I get paranoid easily. HOWEVER this doesn't mean you can't have a ferret it just means don't let the 2 animals roam together at the same time. If that makes since!

(we have guinea pigs but they are in the back of the home where the ferrets are not allowed.)

I will look more into ferrets interacting with Rabbits though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 01:57 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

thanx Kay it would be interesting to know!!! I can;t see me getting a ferret in the near future but maybe one day!!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 10:37 AM

Sorry to butt in but I just thought you would be interested to know that some ferrets will eat and kill rabbits. My ferrets love to eat rabbits (they don't get live ones) and they will eat it cooked or raw.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Hi Tweak! You're NOT butting in at all
That is what this thread is for... to learn more!

Thanks for that information... I was not aware of the fact that they also enjoy rabbits. I just know I wouldn't trust them together. (Now I know why )

Are all your ferrets on a raw diet? what mostly do they eat? I don't honestly know anything about raw dieting as I have never done it with my ferts. (I don't want them to have the wild instinct in them)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

tweak that's what my friend had told me but I just wanted to confirm it! Thanx!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 05:27 PM

Well fsty their diet isn't really a completely raw diet. They still have kibble at all times in there cage but I also give them a whole mouse twice a week and on other days they get either chicken, turkey, or rabbit (sometime raw, sometimes cooked). Some people actualy recomend giving ferrets live mice because "hunting" stimulates their minds. I just find that a little cruel for the mouse not to mention really gros to hear. Instead I hide pieces of meat in their cage for them to find. I also give my ferrets a good supplement every day like linatone.

Feeding a raw diet to ferrets doesn't change their temprement at all. That's a big myth. As far as who eats what well, Tweak is the fussy one he'll only eat chicken and rabbit but mostly kibble. Jynx will eat any meat but she prefers mice. Dude well he'll eat anything that isn't nailed to the floor.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

"Dude well he'll eat anything that isn't nailed to the floor."

Thanks Tweak! That is interesting! My ferts have never even touched meat othen that an occasional small piece of cooked chicken or turkey, but only as a treat once in a while. It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how much you THINK you know about an animal... you NEVER truly know it ALL!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:22 PM

i personally own 6 ferrets,2 sugar gliders,3 dogs, and 3 kittens ,fish,2 guinea pigs and 4 parakeets. I know that if u have the ferrets with puppies and kittens you can teach them to all get along. I had a dog who actually loved playing with my ferrets. And after my father's death the dog became aggessive and went after my ferrets. So it's never 100 % safe to leave them unsupervised. As for my kittens I haven't really done alot of introductions yet but am going too. But i think they will get along with introductions and nails clipped.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:28 AM

I just wanted to add to the bunny conversation:
My dad actually owned a ferret back in the 70's that he used for *hunting rabbits*! He said that he would put it in a rabbit hole and one of two things would happen.
1.) The ferret would chase the rabbit out of the hole.
or
2.) The ferret would catch the rabbit in the hole and not come out for days!
I'm still not sure how he actually caught the ferret again after it was in a hole for days! I know he must have because he had it for a long time.
Which brings me to the raw food question:
Tweak, is your ferret aggressive because you feed it "blood"?
My dad said that his ferret was really cool until the day they fed it raw liver. After that it became psycho and was mean from that day on. Just curious!
Because of that, we have never fed our's anything raw. And we do our best to get Sister out of the rabbit hole as soon as we are done hunting! j/k!

~Nellie
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Nellie, you are totally right! If I recall correctly the hunting started in the UK. That was originally what ferrets were used for until they became domesticated. Some people however do still do this, I don't think it is as common though.
My ferrets have never had "red" meat either. They have tasted cooked chicken & turkey though. My hubby's brother had a ferret long ago and she was a good girl until she started eating red meat (cooked or not) she didn't so much become aggressive but she developed more of a hunting instinct. She did tend to act a little more on the wild side but not towards us, she was still fairly loving. I guess honestly it is all how you train them too. My understanding is a couple of Tweak's ferrets are actually cuddle bugs

Either way it is a very interesting subject! And yet amazing how something as little as a type of food can completely alter the behavior of an animal.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 12:56 AM

I honestly never noticed a difference in their behaviour (except Jynx) after I started feeding them meat. Tweak my youngest ferret loves to be held, tickled, heck he rides on my shoulder constantly. I even take him to the pet store with me because all he does is curl around my neck and look at everything. He's always like that except during play time then all he wants to do is play with Dude and Jynx. Dude is four but I've only had him for a month or so and the guy who rescued him only had him for a month so I don't know what his diet or temperment was like but he is still the same as when I first got him. He likes to be held but not for too long and he likes to give kisses right between my eyes. Jynx she actualy seemed happier and less agressive towards me after I started feeding her meat. I don't think it was the diet change that made her less agressive though. I think that was about the time I got Tweak so I think he had more to do with her sudden change in attitude.

As far as using ferrets to hunt I was told that in France they still use ferrets to hunt squirels. I'm not sure if its for pest control or not.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 12:19 AM

The rabbit hunting was called flushing, farmers would put nets over every warren hole they could find then send a ferret down one. The rabbits would bolt out of the holes and get caught in the nets.
It was usually unlikely the ferret would catch the rabbits but there were of coure the few occasions.
Ive also heard of a few rare cases ferrets were used on ships to hunt the mice. But these accounts are rare (though very liekely and an extreemly good idea)

Its never a good idea to leave your ferret alone with anyother animals. small animals, (rodents birds and even rabbits are concived as prey items.
With cats and dogs, it is possible but accidents can happen so dont let them play unsupervised. My dog plays rough and so they ONLY have short supervised play sessions (the ferrets usually come out as the boss though as theyve learnt when he gets rough all they need do is nip his ear or tail lol) and the cat, wel though he WANTS to play, my cat is a whimp plain and simple and if the fuzzies aproach him he jumps back and runs in the opposite direction. Which is much fun for kit and bramble who think its a hilarious game of chase the flying kitty cat and procede to try and get hold of the poor cats tail. it is very muhc hillarious to see.

So it is possible still be cautions!

Tags
guinea pig, pet store, sugar glider, sugar gliders