Litter box training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Litter box training

Ok... I bought them a litter box for their cage and they WILL NOT use it. It is a corner one, they use the side of it, the other corner but not the box, what can I do to get them to use it?

Pam and the crew
Izzy - St. Bernard
Selena - Chihuahua
Lily - Aussie Shepard/Brittney Spainel
Hershey Kisses - Basset Hound
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge.
Hank - Long Hair Dachshund
Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

I have that same problem with my cage Pammie... I gave up and the bottom of the cage is the litter pan.

I have a larger cage & the bottom pan of the cage is (I am guessing here) about 3 ft x 2 ft x 6in deep. They only use the corners so that helps... but a pan was a non willing battle?? (Maybe I can burry the pan in the litter & they won't notice?? )

That was my solutin anyway!!

How are those precious babies doing anyway?!?!?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well, I figured it would be a losing battle, but it did hurt to try....lol

They are doing fine, still my little angels. I am still in love with them (as with all my fur babies). I love to watch them play with everything and they love MY shoes.....lol.

Pam and the crew
Izzy - St. Bernard
Selena - Chihuahua
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

How long have you been working on the litter box? Don't give up yet put a box in every corner. And where they go that is not a corner hook some kind of a toy to the side of the cage. They usally won't go on a toy. I had a ferret it took me 3 months to make her use the box and in the end she was 99.9% Also as I am sure you know they go as soon as they wake up so everytime you catch them in the act put them in the box. Lots o lots of praise and a treat. As frustrating as it is it can be done.
good luck
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I absolutely agree with Glider on that one! Ferrets are stubborn, although they learn fast (they are very bright animals) they like to test the waters with ya ...

If you really want them to use the litter box... keep your patience! It will happen eventually

( I just decided I didn't have the patience... now they are thinking the shelves are the litter box ... not sure how to get past that battle as of yet? )
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok... I will keep trying. I guess we will get 3 more litter pans then. I am not sure I am up to this challenge...lol. But it is worth the peace from my hubby to try. Men truely suck!!!!

Pam and the crew
Izzy - St. Bernard
Selena - Chihuahua
Jazmen- Basset Hound
Hannah - Great Dane
Prissy - Ball Python
Sheba - Ball Python
George - Ferret

Lil' Bit - St. Bernard
Namoi - cat
Major - cat
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 02:05 PM
NewFerretMom

I'm trying to litter pan train my 2 babies as well. So far, the baby, Nibbles, doesn't seem to care where he goes in the cage as long as it's in the bottom. He doesn't even neccessarily use a corner yet! Tigger thinks the litter pan is the best bed he's ever seen and will push dropping I place in there to show him where to go, to the side so he can curl up in it and take a snooze. When he wakes up, he gives me the most disgusted look like "I can't believe you put THAT in my bed Mom!" I even tried moving the pan around to his favorite potty corner and he still continues this behavior. Guess it's time to invest in 3 more litter pans and just let him use this one for a bed!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 12:31 PM
ferret_frenzy

Something that I found works great is that every part of the cage is for a specific purpose. On the bottom of the cage is there litter box, and on the other end is bedding, so they anly use the side with the litter box. I put newspaper next to the litter box for those who are most stubborn, and that is easy to pull out for easy clean up. One step up is their food center, that is where the water bottle hangs as well. next step up on the right is another litter box for those who are too lazy to go to the bottom. In all other corners I place blankies, hammies, and other bedding. It works very well.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Narq

wow... sounds like a little bit of work to get a stubborn ferret to use the potty!! my boyfriend is wanting to get a ferret and i told him that i used to have 3 and none of them have given the slightest look towards the "potty" as a potty but as newferretmom said its only good enough for a bed....i have a question; do most ferrets learn how to use the little box? if so on average how long does it take if you never give up on teaching them?

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 02:54 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Litter training isn't that hard. My first suggestion is to get a small cat box. Most ferrets hate the corner ones because they prefer to have their whole body in the litter box and with corner ones, most of them is out of it. My first ferret, Snuggles, is now a year old and litter training her was very easy. My second ferret, Georgie, who is about two, wasn't litter trained at all when I got her from my friend and the minute she got into my cage with my bigger litter box and actual appropriate ferret litter, she uses it all the time. If you have questions, please PM me. I would like to help you litter train your ferrets cuz having them poop on the bottom of the cage is very disgusting for them.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:05 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Quote:
Originally posted by tutebugs
I would like to help you litter train your ferrets cuz having them poop on the bottom of the cage is very disgusting for them.
I just wanted to make note that ferrets using the bottom of a cage is not that bad. It all depends on the size of the cage... my ferrets REFUSE to use a litter pan of any kind. So I use corn cob bedding in the bottom of the cage. They ONLY go in 1 of 2 corners both on the same side of the cage. BUT the entire bottom of their cage is never messy to make it disgusting for them as their cage is large enough. This is just my opinion

If you have suggestion though I'm willing to hear them
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 03:11 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Corn cob bedding isn't good at all for ferrets. It's too dusty, they can have severe respiratory problems. Also, it's really dusty for their, umm, bottoms. Their anal area or whatever you want to call it. It can get inside and irritate it.

My suggestion is to get a small cat litter box and put it on one side of the cage, if you have multi level cages, get a few pans. Use dust free, non clumping cat litter or wood stove pellets. I use wood stove pellets and they soak up the urine really well.

It isn't impossible to litter train a ferret, you just have to work at it. They aren't going to figure out how to use it on their own. Every few hours you need to place them in the litter box. Make sure that if they go anywhere else you clean it up immediately. Anywhere that smells like feces they are going to use as a litter box. Keep the cage clean of poop and pee, place them in the litter box every so often, and reward them in they go in the litter box.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Heather! Your info is greatly appreciated!
However I am going to continue to use the corn cob litter as I have had the best results with it & I am very picky about the dust cause I have asthma... My ferrets are very healthy and have no health problems. Personally I do not like cat litter because of the clay used to make it AND if the ferrets should roll in it that makes them 10 times dustier than corn cob litter... while granted NOTHING is dust free... I don't have issues with corncob litter.
Also, ferrets DO learn on their own by repitition. They are very smart animals that lkearn very quickly, some are just more stubborn than others. But thanks for your advice!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 06:23 PM
thetaste_ofink

I agree that it takes persistance. My fuzzies won't go anywhere where food or bedding is. Use that to your advantage. Use a large litterpan filled with non-clumping cat litter, or wood stove pellets (I love Woody Pet, I think it's the best!) and put bedding or food in the other corners. Mine aren't allowed out of the cage until they've all gone to the bathroom, and that was really easy to train. I also try to catch them in the act, and pick them up and place them in the litter pan when they decide to go elsewhere. Others have had success with fuzzies that play in the litter, just put some of their poop in the pan so they realize what it's for. I have three fuzzies and they're 99.999% effective with the litterpans. It just takes persistance. Good luck and keep us updated!

Tags
corn cob, corn cob bedding, doing fine, fur babies, level cage, litter box, litter pan, litter train, litter trained, litter training, wood stove pellets