Litter Training - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Litter Training

If you don't know, i have 2 new little kits that i got about hmm a month and a half ago. Well when i got them i started them on litter training which they seem to have taken it up right away! I was having a few problems at first because i was using the little triangle litter box but i fixed that right up by replacing it with a big rectangle litter box.

Well i have always wondered something and no matter where i look i cannot find the answer. After they seem to have gotton the litter training down pat, do you still need to praise them? I mean would they stop using the box if you do not praise them or possibly forget?

For a couple of weeks now my babies have been so good about the litter box. I try to praise them every once in a while even though they got it down pat. Well yesterday out of the blue for the first time in a long time my fuzzy Saber poops right beside the litter box they had always been using. The litter box wasn't full or anything. I did have the litter box a little higher on a blanket so maybe it was to hard to try to get into?

I'm just so confused as to what if i did anything wrong. I mean they are so great about the litter boxes and he walks over there and uses it RIGHT Beside the the box he has always used before. Why would they do that? I know they will have accidents but why would he have an accident a few steps away from the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Litter Question

So I been searching the web and i hear everyone that owns a ferret recommends using that Purina Yesterday's News litter brand. Well currently i'm using Tidy Cat's 99.9% dust free and don't seem to have any problems. It looks to me i can buy a 40lb bag of the cat clay litter for 5-8 dollars while i can buy a 26lb bag of Yesterday's News for 13 dollars.

My main question is.. does 26lbs of yesterday's news equal up to 40 lbs of Clay litter? I mean if it equaled up then i might not feel so bad paying a little more.

The only real time i replace the litter is like yesterday when i cleaned all of the litter boxes out completely and had to refill them. Also, i clean out my boxes about once a month or so because i add so much litter. When it starts to look crummy is when i want to replace it. But don't get me wrong, i scoop their poop at least every other day, and every day i move the poop out of the corners. I'm wanting to leave a little poop in the litter box right now as they are just kits and will dig at the litter otherwise.

Another question is, how do you scoop out the poop as easy when using those pellets instead of the clay litter? It seems to me you would be wasting lots of pellets because you can't really scoop it as much as clay.

Maybe if i see a real need to switch over then i might but right now i see no problems at all and my ferrets don't seem to mind as they are very good at potty training except the mistakes that been happening lately. I figured i would go ahead and change the litter in case that was the problem.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2004, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Well good news, i believe i resolved the un-trained litter problem. Seems it cleared up as soon as i cleaned the litter boxes and refilled them with new litter. Guess i put it off to long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 07:06 PM

How often do you clean the litter box? I have the same problem, where Buttercup likes to go to the bathroom right *next* to the litter box (one of those triangle ones, with the high back). I had been using a long rectangular box, but the sides weren't very tall, and she would poop over the edges.

Anyway... I use Aspen Supreme Pellets, and I scoop the box once a day (unless she's sleeping in her hammock when I'm going to do it, in which case I can't get in there to do it).

Should I be doing something different?
Thanks!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Well I have heard of ferrets not liking the triangle litter box and who could blame them with only one corner that can fill up easy and not fitting the whole body in it. But you say you got a rectangle one now? I bought a Super Pet Hi Back rectangle one which seems to have very high sides and a low entrance, is this what you have?

You may be filling the litter box with to much litter so she could easily push her bottom up to poop over the edges. I had that problem in the very beginning, it just seem to have gone away not sure what i did.

If you don't have the litter box i'm talking about then i would definately try that. I scoop once a day to every other day depending on if the corners are full or not. I have 3 litter boxes in their cage though to keep the poop evened out. I can't think of anything else right now. Hopefully that will help you.

Oh, one more thing. Do you clean out your litter boxes completely and add fresh litter once a week or every other week? That was my problem. They didn't like pooping in a box filled with urine.

Also, maybe you could move the litter box over to where they are pooping? I did that along with lots of encouragement to help train them back to pooping in the box.

Last edited by gto_cowgirl; 07-07-2004 at 01:09 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:22 PM

Yup, I put new litter in during the week. I have tried moving the box to where she was pooping, but now she's pooping where the box used to be (in addition to using the box, though... she does use it sometimes). Maybe I'll try a rectangle box, to fill all or most of the area that is up there. Then I guess she'd really have no choice but to use it... heh

Thanks!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to add one more note.

If your ferrets are pooping beside or very close to the litter boxes then i believe that means they know they should poop inside the litter box but there must be something wrong with it preventing them from doing so. That Super Pet Hi-Bac Rectangle Litter Pan is the very best litter pan that i know of. You can buy them from Petco, Petsmart, or the ferret store. I bought mine from Petco, they are about 10 dollars and very worth it.

Ferret Store

Click on Litter & Litter Pans. It should be near the bottom. There are different types of Super Pets but i recommend the rectangle one.

So if you have that litter box then it must be the litter.

1) What was the ferrets using as litter before you got them? If they are not kits and its different, then you might want to try mixing it with their old litter. When i first got my kits they were use to yesterday's news. I switched them as soon as they got home but they were kits so everything fell into place.

2) Your litter type sounds fine to me. So i know its not that it is a bad litter choice.

3) If you have more than one ferret, then one ferret might be sick and the poop is turning the other ferret away? If only one ferret then its not this problem. Otherwise just keep an eye on the poop and see if its any different.

4) At least once a week to every other week you should empty out all of the litter and replace it with new litter.After a while the smell of urine can build up.

5) Last but not least scooping. Which you said you did so i don't think not scooping enough is a problem.

I suggest just going through that list and making sure nothing is different or wrong with your pan or litter. Did you change anything when your ferrets starting pooping on the sides?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, if your not using a rectangle box then thats your problem. I tried the triangle box and they did exactly what you are saying pooping sometimes but not all. It seems to me that the triangle filled faster then i could scoop it out and it got so dirty they quit using it. I was scooping the box twice a day with still problems. Soon as i fit the rectangle box into the cage instead they quit having problems.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:07 PM

I've heard many people just use wood stove pellets as well. they're supposedly really cheap at $3 for 40 lbs..... Of course, not sure if they're available in your area in the summer! (I've not found them around here, but I haven't looked that hard yet)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 11:16 PM

Yeah, I had wanted to use wood stove pellets, but as you said, they're not really available during the summer. When winter rolls around, though, I want to experiment with those. I hear good things about them, especially the price.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:38 PM

Okay, you aren't supposed to use like regular clumping litter, they say that a ferret will snorkle in it and it will cause some type of ingestion problem. They have a ferret type clumping litter now. http://www.petguys.com/-787748228790.html theferretstore.com sells it for ferrets, they say is is perfectly good. My guy was already litterbox trained when I got him, but I had gotten 2 more that wasn't, one I trained just fine and the other was just so h#ll bent on pooping somewhere where litter wasn't. It would make me so mad. They say when a ferret poops in certain corners or whatever to put food into that corner. There may have been several reasons why your little guy (gto_cowgirl) and (itsinmyhead) may have been going beside it. Highering it up could have been what done it, because it was something new. Some ferrets are just impossible to litterbox train. I would try praising at least once a week to let them know that they are doing a great thing. Ferrets need treats too. Yogis are my ferret's favorite. I hope I have been of some help. Sorry if I repeated anyone.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I have always wondered if i should praise my ferrets about litter training even after they are litter trained. I guess i should start doing that. My ferrets have never had a problem using the litter box except that one time i mentioned it on here which was because it needed cleaning since then no more accidents.

My ferrets are actually really good about the litter box, my first ferret learned in a couple of days while my second ferret picked it up soon as he got home pretty much. I guess i got real lucky with all the stories i hear about. Except when i was first litter training i have never had to put the food or water dishes back in the corners. Even when my ferrets move the litter box around they still go inside it in the corners.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Feline Pine

So I was doing a bit of surfing around on the internet and was interested in checking out different litters when I found a litter called Feline Pine.

I surfed on the internet for reviews to see if its really worth a try instead of my cheap clay litter and i was so impressed by what i read with up to 70 reviews on the product that as soon as i got off of work, i picked up a small bag (the big 20lb bag was sold out). There was nothing but good things to say about it and there were only about 5 reviews that were upset at the product because they did not adjust their cats like the package says.

So i get home and mix it in with my old tidy cats clay litter to let my ferrets slowly adjust to the litter. I also watched the ferrets just in case they were going to have litter training problems because of the litter change but no accidents yet. I think i'll slowly add up to an inch of the feline pine until it covers the top completely then i'll dump it all out and just add feline pine from now on.

If this product really gets rid of odor's like the reviews mention and the product states then i'm definately making a big switch. I even get a free 7 lb bag whenever i send in my bar code to the company (1 time coupon).

So has anyone else ever tried this product? Know anything? It seems very safe to the ferrets: No dust, no chemicals, Low odor. It costs a little more than clay litter but i don't think it would be that bad because i use about 3-4 inches of clay litter and its used up in a matter of 2 weeks where i use 1 inch which may last the same or even longer.

I'm excited. I'll also add the link to the reviews for anyone else.

Feline Pine Reviews

Last edited by gto_cowgirl; 07-22-2004 at 04:05 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2004, 11:17 PM

I heard, possibly just a rumor, but I heard that this type of litter is bad for the respiratory system of ferrets. I'll see if I can find any other info on it though...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 01:04 AM

Well, I got some more info, but it's not very conclusive. A lot of people out there swear by it, so it's probably a great litter. However, I guess there is evidence that any soft wood is small for small animals (don't know why), and that the pine and cedar litters have aromatics that can cause respiratory problems. But, then again there' proof that these litters are treated at high tempatures to get rid of this problem. So, pretty inconclusive... all in all it's probably safe.

Tags
box trained, feline pine, litter box, litter boxes, litter pan, litter train, litter trained, litter training, potty train, potty training, wood stove pellets