Lots of Runny Poo - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Lots of Runny Poo

My ferrets have diarrhea, and I have NO CLUE why they do, and it's driving me crazy. I've had two fecal exams done, and no parasites were found on either. I changed their food about two weeks ago, but I did it gradually over a week and a half time period (I changed from Marshall's Food to Zupreem). I give them furro-vite once a day and Ferre-Tone in their food. I change their water daily and put that Bi-Odor stuff in there. I haven't given them any treats in a good week b/c I was afraid it would make the diarrhea worse. They have recently gotten distemper shots for ferrets... They got one yesterday (8-1-05) and another two weeks before that. Any suggestions or ideas on the matter would be greatly appreciated. This has been going on for almost a week and a half now and I'm afraid they're going to get dehydrated.... It still has some shape, but it seems like it's getting looser every day... Yesterday it was green...

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Newborn Pup

Ask your vet for something called Kaolin. It's an anti-diahrea medicine. Now it doesn't taste very good but helps clear up diahrea in about 2 doses.

You should also stop giving ferretive daily - it's got a ton of sugar in it. Try stopping with the daily ferretone and biodor until the diahrea stops.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I stopped giving the ferre-vite and the biodor... I'll stop doing the ferre-tone too. I've asked my vet and he seems to think that they are fine. He said he could put them on an antibiotic if it keeps up, but they don't have any parasites. My manager says that all of her ferrets had loose stools, but their stools haven't always been like this. Maybe it's the water here... Maybe I should do 1/2 bottled and 1/2 filtered tap.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Newborn Pup

It might be time to find a new vet that is a little more ferret knowledgable. Your vet shouldn't just dismiss the fact that your fuzzy has watery poopies. The Kaolin will clear up the diahrea in doses. And the great thing about Kaolin is that it doesn't expire for a year, so you can use it from time to time when diahrea strikes your ferret. But diahrea for more than 2 days isn't good. My guess is that it's not from you water source.

Are you feeding any other treats or foods? How long have you had your fuzzy? Whend did you do the food switch? How did you do the food switch?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I have a vet that treats mostly exotics- Birds, Ferrets, Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, etc. I normally go to her for these things, but I've been working 12 hour days and the vet I've been going to is at my work... I've been going to him to get their shots b/c it's the same shots (same brand and everything- for ferrets- for $7 cheaper per shot, and I get free office visits). I found out that it's Bisou who has the diarrhea. The others are fine. Stitch's poo is quite solid. And it's not watery... It's loose, but not liquid.

As for the treats, I haven't given anything since I saw loose stool. I gave them a Yogie a piece about two weeks ago. Three days ago, I ate at McDonalds and I gave them some of my chicken nugget without the bread... Smaller than a dime size each. The ferret-friendly vet said that was okay since it's white meat and not the bread. I got all three of them when we went to Florida at the end of June. I did the food switch about a week and a half after I got them. I did it gradually over a period of 8 days. I think I'm going to start giving them 1/3 Zupreem, 1/3 Marshalls, and 1/3 8-in-1. When they were on Marshalls, their poop was solid b/c of the corn. I'd switch them to 8-in-1 100% if it didn't have fish oil in it. Their poop is quite bad. I clean their litter pans out at least twice a day and it's always full in two corners and sometimes started on a third corner... When I say "full", I mean up to the lip of the litter box almost.

I think Bisou just has a sensitive system... I gave her those Bandit treats two or three times, and she would get diarrhea from them too. This Zupreem food is kinda oily compared to the Marshalls, which is why I'm at least going to get them to 50/50 Zupreem/Marshalls. That could be what is causing it. I stopped the Biodor, Ferre-tone, and Ferre-vite. I've also switched to bottled water... It is improving some. I'll call the actual ferret vet again tomorrow and see if she wants to see her/them again. I'll ask her about the Kaolin... Thank you.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Newborn Pup

Do you have an update? How are they doing now?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

My vet wasn't in when I called. She called me back, but fortunately the runny poo is officially over. She said if I want to come and get some of that medicine just to have on hand, I can do that whenever, so I will. She seems to think it's either the food, or Bisou was having a slight problem with the distemper vaccine. Also, I have a question... You said that ferre-vite has a lot of sugar in it. My manager (who has owned ferrets for many many years) is the one who told me to get that for them and give it daily. Since it has sugar in it, I don't want to use it now. Is there another daily vitamin supplement for them that is safer? Do they really need it?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Newborn Pup

Ferretvite is a high calorie, high sugar suppliment used to help ferret gain weight, however it's not a safe way to have your ferrets gain weight. The best way is Duck Soup! As long as you are feeding high quality foods, you don't need any vitamin suppliments.

For a daily treat that your ferrets will love, give ferretone a try. It's a liquid vitamin that most ferrets love! Just make sure you put it in a seperate bottle and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with olive oil, to cut the amount of vitamin A.

I don't know your manager - but just because people have had them for many years doesn't mean they know a lot about ferrets. The best way to learn as much as you can is to join a bunch of forums. By using forums we educate the masses instead of one person at a time.

I'm glad that your fuzzies are feeling better!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K10Widow
For a daily treat that your ferrets will love, give ferretone a try. It's a liquid vitamin that most ferrets love! Just make sure you put it in a seperate bottle and mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with olive oil, to cut the amount of vitamin A.
How come it doesn't say to dilute it with olive oil on the bottle? What does too much Vitamin A do? Do you still put it on their food? I've just been putting it straight on their food like the bottle says... So if I mix, say, 1/4 a cup of ferre-tone, and 1/4 a cup of olive oil in a bottle, I can use that for several days and it'll be okay? Any specific kind of olive oil better than others?

Also, I'm in no way whatsoever questioning your experience with ferrets... I'm probably just being retarded, but where does it say on the ferre-vite tube that it contains sugar? Did they just leave that off of the tube?

Thanks so much for your help and advice. My babies and I appreciate it.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 07:44 AM
Newborn Pup

Please feel free to ask any questions - I will answer them to the best of my abilities. I am here to help!

Sadly, the bottle of ferretone gives in correct directions. I can't seem to remember what too much vitamin A does but I think it has something to do with the kidneys? Also, don't put anything oil based onto foods as it makes the food go rancid very fast!

I bought a sport top bottle from the travel section of my local drug store. I mix the bottle 1/2 ferretone and 1/2 olive oil (any olive oil works). I then pull out a small plate and give my boys a dime sized drip daily.

I looked up the ingredients to the 8in1 ferretvite - here is a list of the sugary items
malt syrup
molasses
ferrous gluconate
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Okay...thanks so much... As soon as I get paid, I'll get the bottle and olive oil. Until then, I won't give them it. And I should'nt give the ferre-vite at all, right?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
duck soup, guinea pig, litter box, litter pan