lung problem? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Unhappy lung problem?

I am planning on calling for a vet appointment first thing in the morning but I was wondering if anyone else here could maybe shed some light on the subject. Jynx had been coughing a lot this weekend and now she is hacking and weezing when she is playing. She's eating, playing and doing every thing else like normal. I know she's not sick because when she is she becomes a big suck. Do ferrets get bronchitis(sp?)?

I smile because I have absolutely no idea what's going on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They can get inflamed and irritated lungs the same as we can. If she's having true trouble breathing or is using a lot more than normal abdominal support to breathe, she needs to see a vet tonight. You can check her gum color and make sure she's getting good oxygenation of her blood - you want them to be bright pink. Anything else, like white or grey, is an emergency and needs seen right now.

I hope it's nothing serious. You and she will be in my thoughts!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 11:57 PM

it's possible, though the chances of it are rather slim. A number of things can cause coughing. How old is Jynx? Is she shedding by chance? Coughing can be caused by heart disease, hairballs, irritants in the air, allergies, influenza, etc.
Has anybody in your house been ill recently? Any change in her stools or appetite? Get her to the vet ASAP...have them do a chest x-ray....and blood workup if need be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

As an addendum, my first thought when you said just when playing is heart problems but because you said you were going to the vet in the AM, I figured I would let them check her out. I completely agree with Nancy's advice, with the x-ray being the first diagnostic I'd look to.

Stephanie

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

She's 8 month's old her gums are bright pink. It seems to act up when she is playing I work twelve hour shifts on most weekends so I've only seen her and Tweak during cage cleaning and play time. My friend has been staying at my place since yesterday to keep an eye on her and he says she only does it when I let her out to play. She is shedding, I can't think of anything different that would cause allergies all of a sudden. I really don't think she's sick because like I said when she is sick all she wants is to be held which is not like her at all. I'll probably have the vet do the whole nine yards on her just to make sure no matter what happens.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you for the opinions I'm probably being paranoid but I don't want to take a chance.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't think you're being paranoid at all. I think you're being a great guardian and being observant. Many people have dogs with heart murmurs and never know it because they miss the early warning signs such as coughing after strenuous activity, etc. Kudos to you for caring enough to watch over them!

Stephanie

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:29 AM

nope, not being paranoid at all. Since she is shedding, it could very well be a hairball or she may have fur caught in her throat. I would give her some hairball laxative and see if that helps any. Give her about 3/4" - 1" daily. But still take her to the vet to rule out other things and make sure any fur she may have ingested hasn't become a full fledged hairball already. Also, try brushing her daily (or "plucking") to get all the dead, loose fur that she's shedding out. This will help reduce the chances of her ingesting the fur while grooming, playing, eating, etc.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I went to the vet and it looks like Jynx is fine. The x-rays showed no abnormalities and the vet will call with the blood test results soon. I think I found the cause of the problem. I crashed on the couch in the livingroom (that's where the cage is) and I woke up around 3 am because Jynx was weezing, sneezing and coughing and that's when I noticed it smelled funny. So I walk in to the kitchen and it's all smokey. My neighbor has a new boyfriend that does drugs and he was smoking in the basement so that the kids wouldn't notice. Our basement is only seperated by two by fours. So the smoke was coming over to my side of the duplex. So I moved the cage up to the second floor and I'm going to keep an eye on her to see if it cures the problem.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wink

Jade, this kinda makes me wonder about Claire. After she runs around like crazy playing with Rebel, she will stop and drink water when done playing. Then she does what seems like a sneezing coughing fit for about a minute or so. It doesn't happen all the time, I wonder if it has something to do with drinking too much after playing. Now, I've listened to her heart before and I couldn't hear anything, but I know they can be hard to hear sometimes. I know doxies a lot of time have the collapesed trachea and the backwards sneeze b/c of that but I still wonder. I think I shall take her to the vet where I will start working at the middle of Feb. perhaps they will be good to me and my baby girl. Not trying to take over the post just kinda got me wondering. lol Thanks!

[QUOTE=Jade]Many people have dogs with heart murmurs and never know it because they miss the early warning signs such as coughing after strenuous activity, etc.QUOTE]

I really am glad to hear that so far they think she is fine. I hope all turns out great!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:42 PM

Tweak, good to hear that you found what the problem might be.....I would still give her hairball laxative anyway since she's shedding...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappledoxie
Jade, this kinda makes me wonder about Claire. After she runs around like crazy playing with Rebel, she will stop and drink water when done playing. Then she does what seems like a sneezing coughing fit for about a minute or so. It doesn't happen all the time, I wonder if it has something to do with drinking too much after playing.

Ferrets are known for being real pigs lol They eat and drink WAY too fast, and end up choking, hacking, wheezing, etc A number of my ferrets do this (I'm suprised they chew the food half the time). If it is only occurring right after she eats and drinks and at no other time, it's probably because she's eating/drinking too fast. Nothing you can do to stop it though.....some ferrets do this all their lives...you'd think they'd learn after the first couple times, but no lol
It sounds really bad, but it usually stops after a minute or two..the only time you should worry is if she has trouble breathing, and you'll know when that happens
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm sorry Nancy, Claire and Rebel are dachshunds, I make it sound like they are ferrets. I should've like copied what she said and made a new thread in dogs, lol! I'm sorry! I just didn't want her to miss it, lol! I bet it's about the same with doggies though, you know? Claire does drink pretty fast! Thanks Nancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Ferrets are known for being real pigs lol They eat and drink WAY too fast, and end up choking, hacking, wheezing, etc A number of my ferrets do this (I'm suprised they chew the food half the time). If it is only occurring right after she eats and drinks and at no other time, it's probably because she's eating/drinking too fast. Nothing you can do to stop it though.....some ferrets do this all their lives...you'd think they'd learn after the first couple times, but no lol
It sounds really bad, but it usually stops after a minute or two..the only time you should worry is if she has trouble breathing, and you'll know when that happens

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 03:19 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Jade, this kinda makes me wonder about Claire. After she runs around like crazy playing with Rebel, she will stop and drink water when done playing. Then she does what seems like a sneezing coughing fit for about a minute or so. It doesn't happen all the time, I wonder if it has something to do with drinking too much after playing. Now, I've listened to her heart before and I couldn't hear anything, but I know they can be hard to hear sometimes. I know doxies a lot of time have the collapesed trachea and the backwards sneeze b/c of that but I still wonder. I think I shall take her to the vet where I will start working at the middle of Feb. perhaps they will be good to me and my baby girl. Not trying to take over the post just kinda got me wondering. lol Thanks!
Chipper is like that too..the other day he ate a treat too fast and started hacking..it scared the bageezes out of me.

My ferrets too hardly chew so they're always hacking when eating
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry Nancy, Claire and Rebel are dachshunds, I make it sound like they are ferrets. I should've like copied what she said and made a new thread in dogs, lol! I'm sorry! I just didn't want her to miss it, lol! I bet it's about the same with doggies though, you know? Claire does drink pretty fast! Thanks Nancy!
LOL!!!

Tags
cage cleaning