Making a Ferret cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Making a Ferret cage

So I'm thinking about adding a ferret to my family in the near future, but wanted to build a custom cage for him/her instead of shelling out $200 for a good cage pre-built.

Does anyone have any idea if the kind of thing used in this bunny's cage could be used effectively for a ferret cage? http://www.geocities.com/cheetara03/

I'm just concerned that the holes are going to be too big. I know that if a ferret can poke is head through a hole he can get all the way through, so I just want to know if this hole is or isn't small enough.

If those won't work, does anyone have any suggestions on how to use chicken wire to build a cage? I have a big roll of it and I find it pretty easy to work with, and I have some spare wood from old furniture (shelving units mostly) in the garage that I could use.

Has anyone else here built their own ferret cage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

you can use those to build a cage for them (I did) but you have to use a fine mesh hardware cloth or chicken wire to like the outsides of it so they can't get their heads through the holes. I used the grids like you showed, zip ties to hold the grids together, & choroplast to line the shelves. It actually worked great! Good luck
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

What did you use to secure the doors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

when I made the doors I used zip ties to secure one side (acted as the hinge) and clips (the kind you would find on the end of a dog or cat leash) to hold them closed. (I bought mine from a home improvement store, but you can also find them at a hardware store)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

yeah, I tried the clips but couldn't get them to work quite right. I came up with a setup using a wire that comes across the opening part of the door in a V shape. I just need to get a hook or something that's more safe than just a twist of wire.

Now that I think of it I could have used those clips, but I returned them to the store. They would have been too big for this idea anyway.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

let me know what you end up using & how you got it to work! I love hearing others successfull ideas!

If you are able to get a picture of your cage when you're done that would be great to see!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I just told you!

I used the wire line that holds the rolls of the hardware cloth when you get it to form a barrier across the door.

Basically I attached one end of the wire to a corner of the panel next to the opening of the door, then I drew it across the door to the exact middle of the door, then back down to the lower corner of the opening of the door (so it forms a V). I use a short piece of wire to keep the point of the V stable. It prevents the door from opening if you get it lined up right.

Try it!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

OH! now I get it!

I thought you meant you tried that but were looking for a different way! I should read more carefully next time

Very interesting contraption by the sounds of it
Any pictures??
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Don't have a camera good enough to pick out the detail of the wire against the wire mesh. Sorry...

It's actually very simple. All I want now is just a hook instead of the wire that I'm using as a twisty tie to attach the point of the V to the cage.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 03:58 PM

I got an old shelf, put wire around it, cut holes in the shelves, made ramps, and made doors in the sides for my fuzzies. I just bought them a cage a few days ago, because the way the cage was built, it wasn't easy to clean.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 AM

Hi,

Before, I’ve always added onto store bought cages as a “base” and gone from there. This time, I created one from “scratch”.

Like you mentioned here, I used the hardware cloth with the smaller holes to construct the walls, ceiling, and levels. To make the levels sturdier, I used a doubled measure of the hardware cloth and then put dowels underneath going across the levels on each end and one or two in the middle depending on the size of the level. I also cut holes and created ramps. I used electrical tape around the openings to make sure no sharp edges will get at my furries. So far no chewing problems, but I’m watching. I also coated the ramps with a few coats of non-toxic crafters glue since I wasn't using the coated hardware cloth. I read about it somewhere. Once the glue dries/cures, it wouldn't be harmful to them and it protects their feet from the rough metal edges.

The main thing I liked with the design was the base-- I used a 54 gallon rubbermaid container. The panels fit nicely into where the handles sit and the longer sides fit down a little further on a "shelf" in the design. Very sturdy. I drilled little holes in the plastic tote with a power drill and laced wire through to attach the sides to the base. (I used zip ties for attaching the sides together and also the levels/ramps, etc)

I used the 12x12 sticky vinyl flooring tiles to cover the levels that were wire and zip tied them in place. I'm also thinking of "caulking" them with that non-toxic glue as a sealant.

I have hung hammocks on several levels, and there are three different doors to make sure I have access to clean and snatch elusive fuzzies. (full sized panel door on right side, smaller door on left side, then door on top.)

To keep the latches closed, I found some springs (smaller than scren door springs, but similar) and used "S" hooks to attach one to the door and close the hook so it's permanent, then the other hook (other side of spring) stretches and I attach it around the corner (or further on the same panel depending on where the door is) and hook it to the cage itself. Keeps the doors tightly shut. For the larger doors, I use two of these. I've used clips before but after a while they tend to wear down the hardware cloth.

One more thing that I’m working on, found at: http://wrongcrowd.com/gallery/litterbox
I’m very excited at the idea of a separate litter box! They describe it so much better than I ever could, so check out the site and click on the picture at the top for larger/more detailed pictures.

Any suggestions?
Sorry this turned out to be so long!

Thanks,
Manda
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

try a C&C cage cubes and choroplast they work awesome it only costs about 30 USD a level and its like 30 by 57 inches long or something like that you can build a top on it too it works for guinea pigs ferrets rabbits and rats go to www.guineapigcages.com
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you could use the spring rabbit latches for the door latches they sell them at hardware stores around here and probably most pet stores

http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/equipment...okw_spring.jpg

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
chicken wire, litter box, wire mesh