My Duck Soup Recipe and Instructions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My Duck Soup Recipe and Instructions

Why you need duck soup:

When your ferret gets sick, is recovering from surgery, or just plain isn't feeling well your ferret may not want to eat kibble. Hense the need for duck soup! You want to get your ferrets used to duck soup while they are happy and healthy because most ferrets imprint on food at a very young age and will not accept new food sources, especially when they don't feel good.

Duck soup is also a good way to slip in some medications so they will take them more easily than syringe feeding. And since duck soup is so good for them its the best daily treat you can give to them.

My duck soup receipe:
1 lb of chicken thighs or leg quarters with skin
1/2 cup main kibble (the less kibble the better)
1 tablespoon ferritone
1 tablespoon Nupro (suppliment for digestion - can be made without it)
http://www.ferretstore.com/nu-100.html
1 tablespoon Uncle Jims Duck Soup Mix (suppliment for digestion - can be made without it)
http://www.ferretstore.com/9ozunjimordu.html
1 jar Chicken & chicken gravy Gerber .2 baby food

**Note: the most important part of duck soup is the chicken. So even if your recipe is only chicken and kibble it's still great! Mine is just more comprehensive.

Grind up kibble (add Nupro and Uncle Jims) in blender or food processor put in large bowl. Boil the chicken thighs or leg quarters for 20 minutes. Cut the meat and skin off the bone and put the small pieces and put into your blender or food processor in small sections (add about a 1/2 cup to a cup of cool water with each blending). Put all the blendings into a large bowl and stir. Add all other ingredients into the bowl.

Add water for soupy consistancy, so it's not clumpy. And it should have a creamy, smoothe consistancy. Pour into ice cube trays. Repeat until finished. Freeze one day in the ice cube trays and then transfer cubes into a freezer safe bag. Frozen duck soup cubes should be good in freezer up to 3 months.

One defrosted ice cube of soup is the perfect serving for one ferret.

Your ferret may not think you are good cook the first time you offer it to them, as I explained they imprint on food at a young age. If your ferret wont take duck soup directly out of the bowl here a few things you can try.

Try offering some on your finger. A lot of ferrets love to be handfed and this might work. If not, scruff your ferret and then dip your finger into the soup and gently rub it on his/her lips. Do this a few times (in one sitting is fine) until they will lick it from your finger willingly. The two main things that you need to remember are: be patient and persistant.

YOU NEED YOUR FERRET TO LIKE DUCK SOUP NO MATTER WHAT!!

This process could take up to 6 months but the importance of duck soup out weighs not giving it to them at all. Just keep on them. It took me 3 months for my picky Meko to take duck soup and lax after I adopted him. But now he goes crazy when I show him his duck soup dish or the tube of lax.

Duck soup is also a good stablilizer for insulinoma. Duck soup contains more proteins and less carbs for less sugar highs and lows. It won't prevent insulinoma but it aid in controling blood glucose fluxes. The less kibble you put in and the more meat the better the recipe is!

If you have questions about duck soup - post them here. My 3 favorite ferrety subjects are duck soup, treats and food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Kristen...

What are thr pros & cons (if any) of giving duck soup with the ferts are not even sick? In your opinion, is it a good idea to give them this periodically just to get them used to liking it? My ferrets won't eat meat. I have offered them chicken in the past & wet cat foot & they just turn up their nose. Any suggestions???

(I need to start learning this now as 2 of my ferts are 4-5 years old & I would rather be safe than sorry & learn about it early! )
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

You want to get your ferret to like duck soup before they get sick. When a ferret (or even human) is sick it's difficult to eat hard, crunchy foods. The main reason you want to get your ferrets to like duck soup now, while they are healthy is because most ferrets are picky (like yours Kay) and won't want to eat it when they are sick. There are tips above to get your ferret to like soupy.

It took me over 3 months for my Meko eat his ducky soup on his own. And it wasn't a moment to soon. Meko was diagnosed with Insulinoma at the tender age of 1 1/2. Feeding him duck soup keeps his blood glucose leve, because there only small amounts of carbs (kibble) it. It's also needed as a tummy coat for the PediaPred, as the meds on an empty stomach will cause uclers. So it's never to early nor to late to start your kids on duck soup, as it may take awhile for them to like it.

I usually suggest that once your ferrets will eat the soupy on their own that you feed it to them at least once a week or up to one cube a day (depending on what you can afford) to keep a taste for it.

The only con to ducky soup is that you don't want to feed a healthy ferret more than one cube a day. You don't want them to get addicted to ducky soup to the point where they refuse to eat their hard kibble.

The recipe I posted up above is very comprehensive and I know it looks like a lot of work, but it really isn't. You can make a really easy recipe with just the chicken, small amount of kibble and the water. Note: The more chicken and the less kibble the better the recipe is. Also my recipe contains no sugars, like ferretvite, which will cause blood glucose fluxes, even in ferret without insulinoma.

Does this help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by K10Widow

Does this help?
tremendously! I know people have always said Duck soup is #1 priority in a sick fert... I guess I really never knew how important!

I think this is something all fert owners should be awat of & the easier it is on the human the better & easier it is on the fuzzy.

Granted yes it seems "somewhat" comprehensive, BUT can anything every be too good for our pets?? I'm thinking NO! lol There for... comprehensive is a GOOD thing & worth the time if it can save a life

Thanks a ton Kristen!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Newborn Pup

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but will the soup work with everthing in it EXCEPT the duck? Just wondering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RUFUS!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Duck Soup is named after the first ferret who received it. The ferrets name was Lucky Duck.

Duck Soup doesn't actually even have any duck in it. The best source of protein is Chicken - usually dark meat is used.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 PM

The beauty of duck soup is you can modify it to suit your ferret's likes and dislikes. It's also a great way to sneak in some vitamins or meds your ferret may be needing.

Tags
duck soup