My Ferret Might Be Ill - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My Ferret Might Be Ill

Her name is Cubby and her symptoms at this time are as follows:

After urinating (it was hard to tell if this was difficult or not) she simply laid down and did not seem to want to move. She would then get up and walk around as if to act normal, than lay down again and seem rather exhausted. When I took her out of her cage she was not acting like this that I noticed.

Her water had been tipped over (though I changed it this morning, so she was not without water for more than ten hours if she tipped it right after I left) but I am wondering if it is just dehydration? I got her to eat some Ferret-Vite and gave her three syringes of water. A few months ago she had Coronavirus. I hope it is not that again.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? If she has not improved by noon (it is five AM now) I will be taking her to a vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I would take her to the vet NOW

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Part of the Pack

If she is having problems after going pee she could have an UTI - and a vet visit is the only way to tell.

I would suggest that you also place a water bottle in the cage with her bowl, so she is never with out water again.

R h a p s o d y -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine View Post
I would take her to the vet NOW
I was wanting to at the time but my mother wanted to wait two hours. After two hours she seemed completely normal (I have been monitoring her continually) I am wondering however if I should take her as it is...even if she is acting fine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2008, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
If she is having problems after going pee she could have an UTI - and a vet visit is the only way to tell.

I would suggest that you also place a water bottle in the cage with her bowl, so she is never with out water again.
After just about two hours she seemed completely fine and I actually observed her urinate completely normally. I am wondering if I should set up an appointment anyways. She is no longer acting tired, and she will eat and everything. But still...I worry.

I am planning on doing that actually. I give them purified water (the water here is not good...) and I change it daily or more if it gets dirty so I am really ashamed that she could have possibly been without it for a few hours. I am definitely going to take precautions not to let it happen again because normally I am able to get in and check on their cage a lot more often to make sure things are good.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Part of the Pack

Question

How is she doing tonight?

R h a p s o d y -
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I had to put her down late last night... As soon as she showed any symptoms I took her to the emergency clinic where they performed a ton of tests and finally realized that she had cancer and had suddenly began bleeding. As it was, she would not have even survived surgery and so the kindest thing was to put her down. I cannot believe how suddenly she just went downhill but I guess that happens. Even the vets (who are very good with ferrets) were a bit stumped. She was so cheerful (though not very mobile) right up into going to sleep forever. Poor baby...I can hardly take her loss.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaperRabit View Post
I had to put her down late last night... As soon as she showed any symptoms I took her to the emergency clinic where they performed a ton of tests and finally realized that she had cancer and had suddenly began bleeding. As it was, she would not have even survived surgery and so the kindest thing was to put her down. I cannot believe how suddenly she just went downhill but I guess that happens. Even the vets (who are very good with ferrets) were a bit stumped. She was so cheerful (though not very mobile) right up into going to sleep forever. Poor baby...I can hardly take her loss.

Hi, Iam new here i have just joined and have just read this thread. Iam a big worrier myself, really not good
Not good news about this ferret, i understand how much los that could have been. I understand you may not want to look back on the experience but i was wondering if u could help me, please it could be of some help if u told me all the symptons she showed. i am a worrier and i worry my ferret could hav the same. god forbid he does not :s thanks x
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks88 View Post
Hi, Iam new here i have just joined and have just read this thread. Iam a big worrier myself, really not good
Not good news about this ferret, i understand how much los that could have been. I understand you may not want to look back on the experience but i was wondering if u could help me, please it could be of some help if u told me all the symptons she showed. i am a worrier and i worry my ferret could hav the same. god forbid he does not :s thanks x
Since this was quite some time ago I do not remember each detail but what turned out to happen to her in the end was that she had a lot of cancer in her stomach. What are your ferret's symptoms? If you tell me I may be able to think of something. For ferrets, always getting them to the vet helps too since usually the sooner they get treatment the better. I pray your baby is alright.

Tags
ferret tired lethargic