My first ferret - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

My first ferret

I am thinking of getting a ferret. Can anyone recommend any websites? Or help me find out what i need before i bring home my ferret/ferrets?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:56 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I really want a ferret to, the only trouble is though that it's best to have two so I'm going to wait until I have the time, space and money to care for them.
Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think it's ok if you have 1 like a cat, if you let it out a lot and a lot

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

yeah, I know what you mean.
I know this site is not so wonderful and colourful, but it has tons of handy information and I preffer reading from peoples experiance than pro info...
http://www.ferretlove.co.uk/care.htm
hope thats okay and ya dont get bord LOL

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Suffers from Title Envy

Can the ferret get along with my house rabbit? I have a lone rabbit (she hates other rabbits for some reason) and if i have a lone ferret maybe them two can get along.
I really dont see that happening though. Wont a wild ferret eat a small rabbit. My rabbit is big though. she is 10 lbs.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

well yes I think, but not living together, only when they are out to play and there is very close supervision, because ferrets can bite hard and rabbits can kic harder so if there is an incident there could be serious injury and big vet bills so you'd have to be extemely careful!
good luck!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Cheeseypoof Toad Kisser

We don't let our two ferrets anywhere near our other pets. In Britain some people go ferreting for rabbits (ferret goes down the hole, kills the rabbits drags them up to the surface so the owner can eat them). Having been bitten by ours I would have thought a ferret biting a rabbit's throat could easily kill it, even if the rabbit was massive, they are very intelligent predators. I would say that if you buy girls they must be spayed or get 'jill jabs' as when they go into heat they need to be mated or injected with a special hormone or they get anaemia and die. Our's were spayed before their first heat. Get as big a cage as you can, good quality ferret food and a few toys. They love to run and chase each other around so if you have a room that is ferret proofed (no tiny gaps or anything that could harm them) they will tear around playing chase and hide-and-seek with each other. Be prepared to get bitten a little bit, you need to teach them not to do it, unless they are handled a lot when tiny they are likely to be a bit nippy at first. They are such fun to have tho, crazy little nutjobs!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins View Post
Can the ferret get along with my house rabbit? I have a lone rabbit (she hates other rabbits for some reason) and if i have a lone ferret maybe them two can get along.
I really dont see that happening though. Wont a wild ferret eat a small rabbit. My rabbit is big though. she is 10 lbs.
That probably won't work. I have bunnies and I can't let my ferrets near them, the ferrets think of them as prey, and try to kill them. You can have both, but be prepared to keep them seperated. If they do end up getting along, I would never leave them together unsupervised.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Newborn Pup

I have two ferts and a netherland dwarf bunny and they pretty much leave eachother alone. both of the cages are next to each other not touching and when i let them out to play they mind thier own business. I never leave them unattended though.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Newborn Pup

No, I wouldn't let them have any interaction at all. Ferrets are a lot of work, so do tons of research. A good ferret forum is forum.ferret.com. Be prepared for expensive vet bills and extreme cuteness too.
And make sure you get more then one!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I love ferrets, they're adorable.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

got my first one 2 weeks ago and now we have her sister for her to play with, they really are crazy little things...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Newborn Pup

I'll look up the information for mine. Just got him last night. Some breeder in NY. I was very pleased. You could tell they handled the and nutured them. He is very gentle. Even when you play with him he runs at you with his teeth like he's really tough and put his mouth on your hand but never closes his mouth. The cats and dogs do not frighten him one bit. I've had a ferret years ago so I'm like a new kid.

I've been to some pet stores and the ferrets they had would try to jump up and bite you when you reach for them.

They even provided some information on how they operate etc.

I'll get you what information I have. I'm not sure of which pet store seeing my wife and daughter got it for me.

Other than that spend time at the store with the ferret too. You plan on having it a long time. You can find out their disposition pretty quick if they're wide awake.

Michael
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Newborn Pup

BTW, it was Marshall Farms that I think it Pet-Smart that sold my family the ferret. Anyway I'm really pleased with how well he's mannered and all.

Michael
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

http://www.lovingferrets.com/register.php? hope this helps

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Tags
ferret food, house rabbit