Need help with a playhouse idea... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I have been toying around with the idea of making a corner playhouse for my girls, something resembling the cat tower/houses.

This is my basic idea...the structure would be a mixture of several elements I like in some cat houses, obviously with height in mind for the ferrets.

Here are a few of the elements I want to incorporate:
I really like the corner unit of this one, since I want my entire playhouse to resemble a 90 degree angle (maybe an L shape design that pyraminds up) I like the way this makes the corner accessable.

I like the ramp on this one...

I'd like to make a tower similiar to this, but with a bridge connecting it to another tower.

I like how the bottom section of this has a peek-a-boo hole in the top of it and it has several entrances around it, but I don't like the shape or anything else about it, haha.

I also want to include a hammock under one of the sections, similiar to this but sturdier and larger.

Has anyone made anything similar to this? I want to make it as ferret-friendly as possible, giving them a lot of surface area and nooks & crannies to explore, nap, hide things in...and balls, hammocks and other forms of entertainment. I am also trying to keep in mind that height is a big issue since they don't jump well and I certainly don't want them falling too far if they happen to get a little too hoppy while playing, which ALWAYS happens.

I was also wondering about materials. I have found several sites online with DIY cat playhouses, but have had a hard time locating some of the items. Does anyone know a simpler way of making an aesthetically pleasing and ferret friendly playhouse? I'm wanting it to be a decent size, and maybe detachable so I can switch it around to keep it interesting...plus transporting it when we move would be MUCH easier.

I appreciate ANY advice or ideas! THANK YOU!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hrmm, building the tower entirely from scratch may become a bit tedious, but it can be done. Might I suggest using some old furniture from a yard sale and jazzing it up? Taking maybe a bookshelf, old desk, and old armoire/dresser -- cutting holes throughout it...adding carpeting...making ramps...putting in bridges from each of these pieces of furniture to another...adding eyelet hooks from which you can hang a hammock among other stuff. It wouldn't be as portable as you'd probably like it to be, but you could move the furniture/bridges themselves around as well. Heheh anyways this was just something I wanted to do in the future...modifying old furniture.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm committed to the idea of making this sort of playhouse. I want a good project to take out my frustrations on during the weekends. I want it fairly low to the ground and easy to tuck in a corner. My boyfriend has the carpentry skills and tools, it's just figuring out an exact blueprint and materials that will work best.

I am starting to modify two small bookshelves into a dollhouse for my daughter. They are side-by-side "apartment" buildings with balconies connecting the two buildings. I am going to paint the outside like brick walls to scale and add trees and windows for detail...then on the inside I'm going to hand paint murals on the walls and tile designs on the floors. I am super artsy with silly stuff like that and I know she'll appreciate it. I was thinking of putting it on wheels and placing latches on each of them so it can close, but decided against it. If I do it I'd paint the back of one to look like the front of an apartment building. I like the idea of modding furniture, too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Title Thief Victim

i have a cat tree fo my cats, and the ferrets use it, and they havent fell off it yet lol..i have another cat tree on the side of it just incase they fall. ut they like them.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Aspires to Stupidity

My fiance made a cat house for our two cats, but I haven't finished carpeting it yet, I'll try to get a pic of it today and show you. Maybe it'll give a few ideas.