New born ferret kits..need a little help please :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Smile New born ferret kits..need a little help please :)

hey all, my beautifull little girl echoe has given birth to 10 kits.
she is a first time mum and it was a planned pregnancy, she seems to have taken to motherhood quite well (better then i expected anyway) but im a little worried that 10 babys is going to be too much for her to handle. she had the babys 2 days ago which was saturday the 11th of april. the main thing that is worrying me is that the babys are squeeking almost all the time. so im just wondering if this is natural or not? i have all the milk and a bottles already prepared just incase she rejected them from birth which thankfully isn't the case.

Thankyou in advance for any information you can give me.

Tanith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Playful Pup

My hamster just had 10+ babies, and yes, they squeak a lot. In the wild they could have that many babies, so they must find some way to care for them all. I was also kind of wondering about that, as hamsters can only feed up to 6 babies at once (and she has 10 or more, I can't tell yet). If she hasn't rejected them yet, she probably won't. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x17 Chinese babies! Some Campbell's Dwarf Russians will be joining the family soon, too!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Suzi (black lab)

P-cat (pussy cat)

Brenna
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

well i had to nip to the vets for a check up on the family boxer, and while i was there i asked her about the kits. the vet seems to think maybe my ferret isnt producing enough milk for the full litter and we should give them some extra milk to top them up. as there only tiny i struggled finding the right bottles as the ones we bought where too big. After no luck finding anything better all the babys have tripled in size and are doing fantastic. so there was no worry after all.

congratulations on your baby hammys, bet there really cute.

will post some pics of my babys when they get a little bit bigger.

many thanks Tanith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Newborn Pup

the sweeking from my knowledge is very normal if you watch videos on youtube you see the same thing all the new borns are very noisie unfortuanatly it can last a few weeks no need to worry
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Part of the Pack

I would agree to give them a bit more milk. 10 is a lot for even seasoned mothers. Petco sells syringes for hand feeding.

Tags
new born ferret help