New Clumping Litter? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

New Clumping Litter?

I was on theferrestore.com website, looking around before ordering my guys' food. They have a new litter for sale (new as in -I- at least haven't noticed it before). Supposedly it's a clumping litter that's safe for ferrets. It's called Swheat Scoop Clumping Small Animal Litter. Has anyone used it? What's everyone think about it's being safe for the little weasels? I've always wished there was a clumping litter that I could use, but I know cat litters have always been a big no-no.

http://www.ferretstore.com/clumpinglitter.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 08:42 AM

I've never used it myself, but others have said it's a pretty good litter to use with ferrets. Safe and absorbent
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 11:33 AM

I haven't heard of clumping litter either for ferrets. On petguys.com they have it in the cat section, but for 14 lbs it is like 8 dollars which isn't bad compared to on theferretstore.com I always shop around for the cheapest prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 05:31 PM

I don't own ferrets so I cannot comment on the safety of the product but I do use Swheat Scoop for my cats and it works great! The absorption and odor control are much better than any clumping litter that I have used. The thing I like most though is that there is hardly any dust.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 09:41 PM

I love swheat scoop litters, they're great for just about any animal, I use it as bird bedding under the grate.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 10:18 PM

I too have heard it's ok for ferrets - although I can't remember where I've read that....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa
I too have heard it's ok for ferrets - although I can't remember where I've read that....
Maybe at Petsmart?

We sell a lot of it to small animal keepers...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:17 PM

Wouldnt it still clump on their nose if they sniffed it? I am just worried it would clump in places that it shouldnt. I dont know how it could be different from cat litter in that area. Maybe the dust is less and that is why they are saying its safe.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:11 PM

Yeah, i would still be worried about the small particles going in places it shouldn't. Although my ferrets don't dig to much in their litter now but they will scoot their bottom across my carpet or their carpet in their cage. So if some of that litter was to come out then they could scoop it up in their bottom.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 02:17 PM

it woudn't clump in their nose, the litter is made of 100% wheat... it's in tiny little pellets, and is dust free.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:18 PM

I don't understand. Wouldn't anything that tiny going into any place of the ferret like up the nose be bad? even if it is made of wheat. I mean whats makes the difference between the clumping of cat litter and this litter any different when it can still enter the nose?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2004, 09:56 PM

The clumping cat litter is more about the dust getting in the respiratory system. The wheat stuff doesn't have dust to even if it got in the nose it wouldn't get into the lungs. I don't think it would break down in there so it wouldn't actually get in the body. If it was up the nose they could get just sneeze it out (i don't think a pellet that big could get up there though.. i have a rice box and they're pretty small particles, but they've never gotten in their nose or ears)...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

I personally have not heard of this either, and while this thread was originally from 2 years ago... do they still make this?? I would be curious to find out more information on it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2004, 04:04 PM

Yes, I've seen it at my local Petsmart just last weekend
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 12:35 PM

They have a website. Just look up their name, i dont remember the URL. It looks safe enough but maybe you should ask your vet what they think. If you have a good ferret vet they would be able to tell you.