New Ferret! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

New Ferret!

I have been noticing that my ferrets have been biting and scratching ALOT lately but i haven't found any fleas no matter how hard i look. So i read somewhere that it may be caused by the shedding season so the other day i stop by walmart as i pick up a few groceries and i get one of those slicker cat brushes that are for removing loose hair.

I take it home all excited and start to brush my ferrets. I never in my life saw them fight against it. I figured they got tough skin maybe they just aren't use to it, so i keep brushing until my bf gets home. I let him start to brush one of the ferrets and about a couple of mins later my ferret used the bathroom on him. I totally freaked out and couldn't believe it so i threw the brush away and felt like the worst mommy in the world. Then i thought about methods to make it up to the fuzzies and decided a nice trip to Petco to explore and sniff new items would be just the adventure they needed!

Off to the petstore we go and as let our ferrets explore and try to make everything on the shelves fall off, i notice a nice softer brush. Still pretty terrified though so i take it out of the incasement to try it out. My ferret didn't seem to mind it as much but did wanted to attack it. I decided okay maybe i just got the wrong kind of brush before because i though i was suppose to get the slicker kind, but boy i must have been wrong (still feel bad).

Well as usuall i notice the ferrets at the store but i'm telling you, those looked like they were less than 5 weeks old. Couldn't have weighed more than half a pound and was half the size of my ferrets. So me and my boyfriend begin to talk to the petstore associate about their age and how they looked so tiny. He showed us the Marshall Birth cert that clearly showed they just turned 8 weeks old. Well as we are looking at the two cuties, my boyfriend pretty much falls in love with the little boy. I think he is a dark eyed silver/white with mitts. And his belly was yellowish! It was the most beautiful array of colors i had ever seen and i fell in love with him too.

Well i pick up one of my ferrets and place him in the ferret case with the other ferrets. I only did one at a time because my ferrets were so big i thought they might accidently squish them if i put both of my babies in there! Anyway my ferrets more or less just explored but would wrestle just a little with the babies. It was 30 mins till closing and me and my bf had this conversation about getting him. My boyfriend is the worrier about the money/food/costs and i'm the "Yes, I want it!" no matter what

Happy to say my bf let me buy him and off to home we went. They seem to be getting along great. Got up this morning to find my fattest ferret snuggling with the baby. I swear sometimes it looked like he was squishing his little head but the baby never struggled. Then i watched them fight a little and i believe i heard lots of dooking! I'm excited!

So now i have three and definately do not think anymore will fit in the cage so I *hope* that will stop me from trying to buy more fuzzies

I'll post some pictures up soon. So don't use that slicker brush, its horrible! I'm expecting any day now my ferrets start to hate me because i do all this mean stuff to them: clip nails, clean ears, brush teeth and now torture them with a brush! Where will it end!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:39 PM
Newborn Pup

Congrats on the new baby. I will look forward to seeing pics.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

YAY! You have learned ferret math!!

I can't wait to see pics!! How are the 3 getting along together?!? Do you have a name for the new one yet??

As for not being able to buy more.... um I thought that way too, "no more cage room" , but uh... I just made an expansion to my cage... now I have more room!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The baby I just bought is called QuickSilver. It took until 8/17/2004 to finally decide on a good name. Quick is so much of a cuddler! Right now while Quick grows big enough to fit into a collar, i tried putting a harness with velcro on him for a couple of nights but it was to big/heavy. So i looked around and found this really lightweight and tiny collar that stretches, can't think of the name of it but it is multi colored. When Quick gets big enough, i will probably put him in one of those Marshall Collars.

Something cute and funny happened a couple of days ago before i got the tiny collar. Quick is exploring near the curtains while i'm cleaning out the cage. It was time for the weekly bedding washing. After i put the bedding in the washing machine i look around to make sure all ferrets are accounted for and notice that Quick has attached his little self to the curtain from the velcro on his harness. He is so small that there is a lot of velcro not used. Anyway i reach down and untangle him while he gives a couple of cute little cries. And i'm like "Shhh.. it's okay i'm here" and he calms down as he looks up at me. It is the cutest thing i swear. My other ferrets are not very vocal and cuddly but boy Quick is. I think he was taken from his mother too soon.

Anyway i take Quick to the couch with me and place him on my lap. After several *SEVERAL* firm No's from the nipping, he gets the point and calms down and snuggles against me as i stroke him. I have already fell in love with his personality!!

Also, something else i thought was cute. I usually squeak this dog toy that the ferrets love, signaling them that it is time to come out and play. They rush down to the bottom floor while i squeak the toy and then i pet them and put their collars on.

Well a couple of days ago, while i squeak the toy and the other ferrets rush down, Quick tries to find his way down but gets lost and starts to cry a little while the other ferrets have already made it down and out of the cage. I look at him and try to help him find his way out but he keeps crying so i unlock the side door and pull him out. He quits crying as soon as i picked him up and tried to pet him. He is a real nipper, i got some bitter apple on the way. But he was so cute. He thought he was alone when the other ferrets rushed down to the bottom to get out of the cage. I tried to snuggle him a little bit but after several No's i put him down to give him the point that if he wants my attention he can't nip. I love him!

Also, it seems to me that Quick is already litter trained. While me and my boyfriend were watching the baby ferrets in the store, i noticed they would go to the litter box whenever they needed to use the bathroom. But they were on Yesterday's News and i'm using Feline Pine so i thought that might be a problem. It doesn't seem to be but everytime i notice quick using the bathroom in the box, i give him a lick of ferretone. So that is another plus!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

QuickSilver is slowly getting better at nipping but it is more nipping behavior than the other ferrets. My bitter apple should be arriving today along with a couple of new toys.

I guess the reason why i thought that Quick was to young was because i bought both of my other ferrets at 10 weeks+ instead of just turning 8 weeks. There sure is alot of difference. Anyway, i really love the little bugger and my bf is really happy we got him. I haven't had time to get pictures like i wanted because right now my bf's parents are visiting and i can't really have the ferrets out with them over.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

aww what a little doll! It is always so rewarding when you can get tthem to cuddle like that. I can't wait to see pictures of Quick. and you're right, he'll outgrow the nipping in no time, just be patient & persistant.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah, I know when Quick nips he is just trying to play with me as he keeps bouncing all over the place and pounces at me as well. Hopefully this bitter apple will help make the transition from nipping quicker and easier but if not well got to train him not to nip no matter how long.

The only thing i feel bad about is that the little girl ferret that was left at the store was all alone. I wish i could take her in too but i just don't have the room nor money. I went in the other day to check on her and when i got in she was crying as she stared at this little girl. I rushed to her and picked her up, soon as i picked her up she stopped crying. I felt bad but there is nothing i can do. I'm hoping she will find a good home quick.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Pictures

Alright i got some pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quick 003.JPG (45.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg quick 004.JPG (46.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg quick 007.JPG (40.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg quick 009.JPG (43.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by gto_cowgirl; 08-21-2004 at 11:46 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

he is absolutely adorable gto!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks! He is a cutie! After the pictures were taken, all the fuzzies fell asleep in the cage.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Newborn Pup

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Boy, he's pretty! His name suits him well, too. Beautiful little guy.[/FONT]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
feline pine, litter box, litter train, litter trained