New Ferret Owner.. HELP! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation New Ferret Owner.. HELP!

Hi everyone, I just got a ferret 3 days ago, and she is the prettiest little thing ever.. even though she is kinda clumpsy and refuses to learn to use a litter box I still love her..

Today I noticed though that she has kind of a diahrrea (im latina not sure how u write that word) is not like she is pooping everywhere all the time, but I noticed that her poop was kind of soft and with lot of liquid.. what should I do?

Please help me.. by the way are ferrets happy if they live on their own or should I buy another ferret?

Thanku!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Guarded by Waffles

You should probably get another friend from the same place you got your girl. That way they will know each other (hopefully) If you can't get them from the same place you will have to quarantine the new ferret and introduce them in a neutral area. I have a ferret and she is happy by herself but she has been alone all her life and is so old she doesn't know any different but two would really be best

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM

I would recommend getting another and yes, the earlier the better as you don't want her to get used to being alone.

As for her poops, it doesn't sound like she has diarrhea to me. When ferrets are young they go a lot and often urinate at the same time. However, if you are really worried about it and have any other signs that she might be sick, take her to the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:45 AM

Is there any green in the poop ?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Newborn Pup

If you play with them several hours a day and provide things in their cage to keep their bordom down they do fine. With little attention from humans they definately need another one to play with. But who can resist playing with them? Plan on anywhere from 2-4 hours of time watching them play or playing with them outside the cage. If you can't then definately need another one. That or a kid in the family or neighbor kid you know would be nice to it to play with yours. Especially 2 year old, about the same energy as a ferret. lol

Michael
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Gunny doesn't have a buddy except for our cat Xena and does fine, but I wouldn't suggest keeping only one if you can help it. It's like what Michael said, if they get enough play time with you they'll be fine but I always recommend another, plus it's more entertaining that way

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Newborn Pup

Oh, something else I thought of too. They are typically best in the morning or evening. I think that's from the thought that their background as hunters. I just know after sleeping a long time all I have to do is let mine out of the cage. The longer he's been asleep the more wild he is. lol He runs around, chasing me, me chasing him, him chasing one of the cats and chucking or barking whatever you call it. He's happy as can be. Then when he's about tired I put him in his cage and I can walk away and come back and he's out cold.

Get yours in a routine of getting it out and playing with it and it will look forward to it. Play WITH them. They love that. We bought a plastic accordian type tunnel that mine loves to crawl through.

Michael
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Part of the Pack

Is the liquid the same color as the poop or is it clear? - I ask because ferrets tend to poop & pee at the same time, therefore, the liquid you are seeing could be its pee if it is clear.

P.S.
You can help your ferret learn to use the litter box by placing fabric all around its living area - this helps them use the litter box as ferrets do not like to poop/pee where they sleep.

R h a p s o d y -

Tags
litter box