New Owner ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question New Owner ?

Hello...............

What are the three main things YOU would say that a new ferret owner should know and understand before buying a ferret?

R h a p s o d y -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I don't own a ferret but I know they are like having 3 year olds...LOL

*Missy*
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I dont own a ferret either.. but ive known other people that have had them.. so i can tell you from there mistakes..
1) There not cats.. alot of people seem to think there just like cats and there not.

2) Invest in a jewelery box with a lock.. heh i dunno if all ferrets do this, but my friends ferret likes to collect shiny things, especially jewelery! and they can get into anything.. so borrow 2 year old from someone for a couple days, to see how much stuff they get into.. and then multiply that by like a million!

3) two ferrets.. left in a very small room with a heat vent open and the door closed... very sad ending

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't have a ferret either. But my friend does.
First, yes, indeed they like make-up and jewelry and things.
Ferrets cannot survive in the wild and will die within days if not found.
Please read this is a ferret is indeed right for you.
Ferrets - basic information - owning a ferret- Article on Pets.ca

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a feeling I'm not in Illinois anymore.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
R.I.P. Blue, Nikki, Nosey, Hurley, Roxie.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies- I have read many articles on line and I am very much aware of the needs of a Ferret - but I would still to hear from a Ferret owner.... for they know about these animals from personal experience and that is the best kind of experience in my book.

R h a p s o d y -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I have three ferrets. Here are my top three things:

1) They are poop machines, and are difficult to get litter trained. You'll have to spend a great amount of time on this and realize that some ferrets will never be completely litter trained. My three are, thankfully -- but I spent a ton of time on them.

2) Ferret proofing a room is a must -- it's not as hard as people say, I just think people are very ignorant and not attentive to detail. Just keep things high up off the floor on tables/counters/etc., make sure there's no small holes they can escape from along the floor/wall, and make sure there's nothing they can climb that's in the vicinity(1-2 feet) of your tables and things that are high up. Not much to it.

3) They will have vet complications and are expensive. I went to the vet the other day for one of my ferrets who had some very questionable poop and kept producing a lot of ear wax even though I'd clean his ears every three days. It cost $189 dollars for the visit(then again, I went to a very good vet in a very rich area -- I trust him) for just one ferret. Thankfully, I can afford whatever costs the vet will ever need so I have the joy of providing a home to these awesome animals. I had the $$ before I got the animals. So many people give up ferrets because they just don't understand what they're getting into when they get them.

So yeah, lots of poop, secure the area, and know that vets are expensive and that they will have problems. Good luck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:52 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thats some good advice Tman!

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 12:16 PM

I also have ferrets so I thought I would chime in with my adivce

1. That they need a high quality food. One that the first two at least are whole meat, not by products. That the food doesnít contain corn. And to stay away from Marshallís food which a lot of new ferret owners end up getting.
2. I would say that the need to let your ferret out every single say for a least 4 hours is a must and to not get one if you canít do that.
3. And lastly as was said before that ferret proofing is a never ending job and you need to observe your ferret to see what they will get into.

Hope that helps a little
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hello, at one time I had 7 ferrets( I rescued 3) many years later I now have only one Nelly a real sweet heart. Yes I agree that ferrets are very hard to litter train, they love to steal, and males are alot more laid back. I actually mix two different foods together(science diet kitten formula and a high quailty ferret blend, can't remember the name at this moment) Also stay away from ferret food made from fish, they will actually smell worst!
My 3 things are - most ferrets aren't that cuddly-let ferrets be ferrets, never known one to actually wear clothes!- invest in a good tunnel system, then make most of their toys( you buy an expenive toy and they play w/ the box!). But despite all the stuff you have read or heard THEY WILL STEAL YOUR HEART! And last but not least noone or nothing loves life more than a ferret--can't be depressed around a fur baby --they will not allow that!

Tags
ferret food, litter train, litter trained