New to the site... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

New to the site...

Hi everyone, I'm a 20 year old male currently serving in the United States Airforce and 2 days ago I bought 2 beautiful ferrets from a local pet store. I only wanted to buy one but as soon as the cage was opened and I put my hand in, all 3 of the fuzzies started licking my arm and bouncing up and down. The ferrets are about 3 months old and in the two days I've had them I've already trained the female (a beautiful white but not albino mischevious carpet shark) not to bite my toes as hard and I've taught the male (a sweet docile light brownish grey fuzzy) to not dig at the carpet trying to get under the doors. Anytime they are about to do something wrong they look up at me with their dark eyes and I say, "You know better than that." and they stop. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi! It's great to meet you! Sounds like you've got two sweet ferrets! You'll love it here, jump in and post away

*Brandy*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Hi there & welcome to PT!! I am so thrilled you decided to get not 1 but 2! it is always nice for them to have a playmate!

If/When you are able feel free to post pictures of your furbrats!

Have you named them yet? You will have a blast with them!! I own 4 myself & I love em to pieces!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Miss New Booty

to PT!! Congrats on your new ferrets, how excited you must be!!!! Yes, have you thought of names yet? Nice to meet you!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Welcome to PT!!! Yes names and pics please!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 04:05 PM
Indecision Queen

Hello! and Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see pics of your babies!

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Welcome to PT!!
Congrats on your new furbabies! I'm sure you are having a blast with them. ZThey sound so adorable!
Make yourself at home and post away! We love pictures too
Everyone here is really great and the advice and friendship here can't be beat!

[center]

[
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi again everyone, big news!!! I am getting another ferret! One of my friends at work bought one the same day i did and he doesn't have enough time to really enjoy the little girl so I'm going to take care of her. I can't think of names for them yet, I know thew male is pretty laid back, sometimes he even acts a little skittish which is strange but other then that he's a really good little guy... the female, on the other hand, is a true ferrets ferret. She gets into everything, bites my toes, chews on cords, and used to dig at the carpet until I trained her not to in 2 days so I guess she's smart, just a little stubborn. They play very well together and sometimes they sleep together in one of those "Super Sleepers Comf-E-Cubes" but I think the male can just sleep absolutly anywhere in the cage. I've foung him sleeping with half of his body on a platform and the other half laying on the other sleeping bag and they both suffer from the "Sleeping Not dead" syndrome. Well my friend just called and he's bringing over the other little one so i have to go. I'll try to post pics when they will stay still for a second or two :-)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aww it is so great of you to take that little girl! Congrats!
You really have your hands full now. Keep us updated and let us know how she settles in.

[center]

[
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Congrats! Yes, let us know how it all goes, pics would be great whenever you get a chance to catch one! I loved how my ferret would hunch his back up and jump around making the little noises! lol I miss my Bandit, haven't had a ferret in a long time.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Madchat... becareful they can become VERY addicting! lol
One thing I can warn you to watch for in your girl (the white one) is deafness. It may not seem as though she is deaf, but if she starts acting with unusual behaviors or suddenly screeches, it could be a possibility. DEW's (dark eyed white) are very prone to deafness as are pandas & blazes. I have a panda who is deaf and at first I never knew it, but out of nowhere her behavior was very odd. After exstensive tests & trials with her (and A LOT of patience) I found out she is indeed deaf and she is finally now starting to come around & not fear bite as much. DEW's are absolutely beautiful I want one myself! As for your boy just keep an eye on him, I'm sure he is just fine but depending on his genetics he could be suffering from possible deafness (explaining why he is such a sound sleeper). Without pictures I couldn't begin to guess his color mutations though... and BELIEVE me... I know first hand how nearly impossible it is to get clear still pictures of them!! They just don't hold still long enough!

I can't wait to learn more about your experiences with them and hear all the stories you will have to share!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hi, took some pictures of the little ones but I don't know how to post them so if one of you helpful people could tell me how I'll have the pics up soon... As for becoming addicted LOL, I probably am already, 3 days ago I had 0 and today I have 3. I was amazed at the new girl when they first started interacting. She stood on her back legs and my other two ferrets jumped on her, I was about to break them up when they all started jumping around wardancing and dooking :-) they were playing together so well that I put them all in the same cage while I went back to work. I came home and they were all sleeping in a little bed, I have a pic of this :-). The new girl is EXTREMELY hyper and is the best jumper I've ever seen. She can jump about twice as high as my other 2 and she loves to dance it seems. As for having deaf ferrets, I really think all of them can hear. I will click my tongue from across the room and they will all look at me and then just start running around again. I've had 3 people come over from my shop and they all comment on how good they smell. I haven't even bathed tem yet and they still have a really nice, almost sweet smell to them. One of my friends even smelled the litter box that hadn't been cleaned yet and he couldn't smell anything. They are talking their wives into buying one. One last thing, is it normal for a ferret to "laugh like a small child"? My male was chasing the DEW and started chuckling like a 6 month old baby. It really really really creeped me out. LOL! has anything like that ever happened to you?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 04:22 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

and to PT!!!!! Sounds like you have 2 great ferrets, can't wait to see pics...... Oh how I miss our 3 ferrets, the price you pay when you take a tour overseas and they can't come with but upon our return to the states, look out,

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 09:47 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

yes the "chuckling" is normal... that is one of the ways they communicate, I do believe it means they are happy & content.

You got pics! YAY! to post them you can either attach them when you post a thread or if you have a website (or somewhere to upload your pictures to on the net)you can link to them.

If you attach them there is an option to "manage your attachments" right below the window where you type your message. You would click on that & browse through your computer to find where you have yohur pic saved (generally I make my pics 400 x 275 pixels wide & tall) then upload them & 7attach them to the post. You can attach up to 5 pictures per post.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 09:53 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Welcome to PT!! Ferrets are wonderful animals, Congrats! I have two and they are quite the handfull.

Tags
litter box, local pet store, pet store