New/Updated Cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

New/Updated Cage

I finally got around to expanding teh brats cage! I still made use of the original cage since it has the bottom for litter. I used 14x14
cube grids & coroplast to expand. It is now TWICE the size it was!!

On the bottom left the grid swings oper like a door to store food, supplies, etc.

Where you see the big open hole the grids swing up to close the cage:

the bottom right side is open for them to play underwhen they are out & running.

There are 2 access doors on the left side of the original cage that they can use to go in & out of the new part. Currently I have those doors closed though because Tigger & Mojo can both get their heads through the squares with paranoys me that they will either get out or get their head stuck. So I am going to get some screen & line the outside of the cage with it so they can't do that anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2004, 11:45 PM

It looks great Kay!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 01:49 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

looking good kay!!! I bet the ferts love it!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 02:38 PM
Newborn Pup

What are the materials you used to make this? It looks amazing! My poor little ferts cage is soo small... I am feeling so guilty, but I cant find any cage that I like!! Also how do you keep them in there? My little girl is like spiderman she can climb anything. Her favorite thing to do is climb up her cage and sit on the top... of course then she is stuck, but I think she knows that it irritates me so she does it anyway and then looks at me like ... well, now you must put me down so I can do it again!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Soccer,
I used 14x14 square grides that are usually used for making storage cubes. They can be found pretty much anywhere (I bought mine at sam club for only 16.00 a pack I believe & bought 2 packs, only 1 1/4 used on the fert cage) To hold the grids together I used zip ties making sure to pull them tight. For the door I used clips like you would see on a keychain. as for the shelving all I did was turned a grid flat & secured it in place... granted they are not moveable this way but they still have plenty of space. to make a solid surface for the shelves I used coroplast (corrugated plastic) and sewed a "slip cover" made out of fleece for each shelf. The only part I have left to do is to get some hardware cloth or heavy screen to line the outside of the cage so the can't get their heads through the holes. (3 of the 4 can). I did not build a whole new cage I expanded onto the original one. BUT to build the new expansion which doubles their space it probably only costed me about about 120.00 (and I can only imagine that a cage of that size would probably sell for around 500.00 or more)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Proud New Mommy

Wow! Those look professional! Great job, I bet the ferrets love their remodeled homes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau