Off to the vet we go :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Unhappy Off to the vet we go :(

Well, someting is wrong with Sissy again. Her urine has once again turned green and last night when I was cutting her nails she started freaking out almost as if she was having a seizure I sat and held and petted her while she was calming down (normally she NEVER lets you hold her because she is always squirming). She was frozen with a blank stare on her face. Then she started drooling and breathing heavy. Her breathes where really raspy as if she had fluid in her lungs. She coughed a couple times and now sounds fine, but I am not taking any chances. I haven't seen her drinking very much nor eating (that doesn't mean she isn't doing it though) and she looks like she has lost weight (bones are getting very prominent )
She has always been tiny but this is not normal!
I just hope and prey they don't tell me "sorry there isn't much we can do to help her."

Her appt is at 5 tonight so I will keep you updated when I find out what is wrong.

(this pic was just taken last night before she had this bout)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 03:56 PM
I Heart My Job

I hope that everything turns out ok.

sparkle->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
shadow->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 04:36 PM
gypsyweasel

Good luck at the vets...I hope he does a blood panel for insulinoma. If that is what it is, it can be treated with prednisone quite successfully. My Dweezil and Dixie lived for quite a long time with a series of meds daily.

Again...good luck
Pat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 04:37 PM

I am sorry to hear that Sissy is sick... I hope all goes well at the vets office.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Well I just got home from the vet. I feel like such a bad mommy because I could not afford to pay the 400.00 they wanted to charge me to do complete tests on her

Here is what was found though...
She only weighs .8 lb and her temp was 101 (is that normal for a ferret?) Her heart rate is extremely elevated and blood pressure is very low. Her lungs do sound clear though. They attempted to draw blood but because of her blood pressure being so low they could not get enough to do all the tests. The checked her protein levels and her blood count both of which were normal, so no infections. She is dehydrated though so they gave her a shot of vitamin B and some other shot of fluid that absorbs into the skin to help with dehydration.

Her diagnosis to the best of the vets ability without being able to run all the tests is possible (most likely) liver failure.

They said if I can afford to, I can keep bringing her back for the vitamin b shots every 3 days (60.00 each time) to help keep her comfortable.

Outside of that even with the extensive tests they don't think there is much that can be done because of her age except to keep her comfortable and happy until her time comes

(the vet did specifically say that she does not think it is insoloma nor adrenal disease, but is pretty sure it is an organ failure of some sort and old age to top it off)

So I guess all I can do now is wait till that time comes , ugh, what a wonderful thing to think about.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that.

You might try supplementing her with some dandelion root if she'll take it. It does help with liver function and probably wouldn't hurt her.

Hang in there ...

Stephanie

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:59 PM

I am sorry to hear this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 09:53 PM
I Heart My Job

oh no, that is so sad.

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Aww, poor sissy, do what you can to make her comforatable! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 10:49 PM
gypsyweasel

So sorry to hear what the vet had to say. I have lost 3 old timers in the past 3 months. It breaks your heart, but you have to remember how lucky you are to have her, and how lucky she has been to have such a good life with you. You can't fight old age.

Pat

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm so sorry to hear that hang in there with her, and just make her as comfortable as possible

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks everyone, your support means a lot to me!
I checked on her this morning and she popped her head up when she heard me, so at least she is still alert
I was told to get some canned cat food and try to feed her a little of that with her food (because of the moisture and some food is better then none) She won't touch it! That doen't bother me though because she is VERY picky and has never had it before, so I was expecting that. I am gonna go and get some jarred baby food (she loves sweet potatoes) and see if she will still eat that.

The way I see it is one day at a time now. When her time comes it's meant to be. Knowing how spoiled rotten she is helps in knowing that she is happy

I will keep everyone updated with any changes.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I am sorry to hear that she isn't feeling well. Give her extra hugs and kisses from all of us.

Rhonda

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I will Scarlette thanks! :hershey:
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:52 AM
ferret_frenzy

Did you have a blood test done for insulinoma? Normal reading is between 90-120, less the 60 usually points to insulinoma. Some of the symptoms are weakness, salivation, seizures, dazed and confused look, tremors, weight loss, and some others. When our ferrets get older, this is when diseases start to show up more and more. Insulinoma can affect vital organs in ferrets. They can be treated for this disease and live comfortably. It is also a good idea to start a small savings each week to tuck away, so that when these things come up we can take care of them. Also it is a good idea to start making some duck soup and keep it on hand, and start giving it to all of your furkids. It is very high in protein, and often times they will all love it it just takes persistance. Also a good book to have is "ferrets for Dummies" by Kim Schilling. A definate must have, if you don't already have it.

Here is a great link for recipes to make Duck soup! Hope this has been helpful for you.

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/duck_soup.htm

Tags
adrenal disease, cat food, duck soup