Oily? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if I came across kind of snotty when I answered some of your questions. I got a PM telling me that. I was just trying to explain myself in depth because I had no idea you have had ferrets for a long time. I thought you were asking cuz you were new to them. I can try and find a food comparison chart if you've never seen one. It compares differet cat/kitten foods with ferret foods and shows the top ones to feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

apology accepted tutebugs... I have had ferrets for quite a while. (do you really think the admins of this forum would let someone be a section moderator without a significant amount of knowledge of the specific animal in that section? ) I admit we all learn new things everyday & I am by no means an expert but I do know what I am talking about. That thread I asked you to read previously in this thread IS a food comparison chart that I found while doing research.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh, sorry, I didn't get a chance to look at it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tutebugs
The more foods the better. The protein percent should be 30% or higher, the fat percent should be 8-10% and the first 3-4 ingredients should be some sort of meat.
protein should be 34-35%+ and fat content should be 20%+.
8-10% is much too low
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy

protein should be 34-35%+ and fat content should be 20%+.
8-10% is much too low
Umm, ok. Guess I was wrong
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:40 AM

I also feed a mix. You really don't want them imprinting on only one food. If for some reason you cannot buy the brand you are feeding, you'll have another to fall back on. Plus it gives them a bit of variety. BUT only feed top quality food. The Maxximum Nutrition Kitten is an excellent food to add to a mix. I always make sure my main kibble is a high quality ferret kibble such as Totally Ferret, Superior Choice, 8in1 Ultimate(not Ultra which is not a good diet at all), etc
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tutebugs

Umm, ok. Guess I was wrong

s'ok, we're all here to learn, right?
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Nancy... It seems this is something I apparently am not aware of... can you provide me with your prefferred choice of top foods? I currently am feeding Superior choice alone...
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy

s'ok, we're all here to learn, right?
I absolutely agree with you there!
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

I don't have the money to feed *top* quality foods but I feed the *top* quality foods in the category of foods I can afford.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 01:03 AM

I really like the Superior Choice....my ferrets have done really well on it. Totally Ferret and SC run about the same, nutritionally speaking. The only difference is the price. TF is super expensive, especially for multi-ferret households. SC is a great food all by itself, so don't feel pressured to feed a mix if you don't want to I've always fed a mix over the 9 or so years that I've had ferrets.
Over the years I've used all different foods

These are what I would consider high quality ferret foods
Totally Ferret
Superior Choice
8in1 Ultimate
Marshalls(good food, but makes stinky poops due to the fish content)
Mazuri(is *ok*)
Zupreem(also *ok*)
I've heard the Path Valley brand is ok, too, but I've never used it and don't know many people that do.

Kitten foods:
Maxximum Nutrition(purple bag...Walmart's brand of cat food)
Premium Edge Kitten(which is "rumored" to be the Path Valley diet formula)
I also used Pro Plan Kitten Chicken and Rice but that was years ago
Iams(or is it Eukanuba?) is also ok to use

Can't think of any others offhand...
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Nancy! Before I started using Superior Choice I Was feeding Mazuri. Once I started researching ingredients I decided Mazuri was actully not *the greatest* because of all teh bi-products in it.
I honestly was under the impression that it is best not to feed cat/kitten food if at all possible (especially cat food). Apparently I was wrong... Nancy I am copying that info into a the food thread that I started a while back, that way people will have the info
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 03:50 PM

you're welcome. It's not good to feed a kitten/cat food as the ferret's main kibble, but if mixed in with a high quality ferret food, it's fine. I used to mix 2 ferret foods together. I change the 2nd kibble every now and again for variety.
Mazuri is not top of the list, but it is a good food to use, as long as it's mixed with something of a higher quality. It's ok as the *2nd kibble*, so to speak
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 08:31 PM

I also mix our food. We use a mix of Totally Ferret, Zupreem, and Eukanuba chicken and rice cat food.

It doesnt matter if the food is for a cat/kitten/ferret it just matters that you look at the ingredients. I have been told by a very knowledgable ferret owner that the Eukanuba is one of the best foods out there that you can feed to your ferrets.

The reason for mixing food is so that if a company changes their food receipe the ferrets may notice the change and not eat the food. I have heard that this happened before, not sure of the details though. By mixing there is less of a chance of them stopping eating their food because of a change in the food.

Just my 2 cents
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

A lot of ppl on TFS don't recommend Eukanuba for some reason. I personally haven't tried it and probably won't cuz of what they've said and I really like Maxx Nutrition anyway.

I mix food because I want my ferrets to have a variety of tastes and nutrition. When I got my first ferret I was only feeding one, cheapo, ferret food. Then I learned that you should feed a mix and when I started doing that she got to be a big girl and her coat was awesome. I got a ferret from my friend who couldn't care for her well at all and once she started eating my food she plumped up and her coat was so so soft. I just got another one a few weeks ago and when I got him he was yellowish and his coat was really dry, started eating my food and his coat is soft and white and smells really good.

a little extra -there's a discussion on TFS about whether or not ferrets smell like doritoes or corn chips or any other funky smell. A lot of ppl think they smell like corn chips, I really don't think mine do, but what does everyone else think of theirs?

Tags
adrenal disease, cat food, chicken soup, dark brown, ferret food, fur babies, kitten food, pet store