Oily? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
User Is No Longer Welcome

Oily?

My new ferret Jelly is a bit oily. He's an albino so you can really tell. His coat is kinda a yellow tint and his tail is super super dark. Any way I can get him un-oily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:26 PM

how old is he? Is he neutered? What kind of diet was he on before you got him? Does his tail has a heavy "orangey" color to it(on the skin) or a ton of blackheads?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy
how old is he? Is he neutered? What kind of diet was he on before you got him? Does his tail has a heavy "orangey" color to it(on the skin) or a ton of blackheads?
He's 2. Yes. I'm not sure, they are sending some of his food cuz he's not taking to mine well. I guess they ran out of his ferret food so they just threw some science diet in his dish. His old owner is mailing me some of the food he'd used to so it's easier for me to get him on my food. His tail isn't orangey, more of a dark brown/yellow. There aren't too many black heads, but some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 02:55 PM

Poor diets can and will cause fur discoloration(the food dyes in these cheapy foods will cause discoloration of the fur and stool, not to mention making both the ferret and it's poop stink); it's much more noticeable in white ferrets and those with light colored coats. Also, some albinos and DEWs yellow as they get older; just a part of aging. If he is that filthy, he may not have had his bedding changed very often. Bathe him(you may have to do it more than once) with a decent ferret shampoo. Also be sure to scrub his tail well as that dirt buildup and blackheads can make the fur fall out causing "rat tail". If the tail dirt/blackheads don't come off immediately, try scrubbing the tail with an antibacterial soap or an acne facial wash(Clean n' Clear works). You can also add a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid to your ferret's shampoo to help get the oil out.
If after bathing him, he continues to feel and look oily(and smell stronger than usual), that may be an early adrenal disease symptom.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

He has started eating my mix of 3, soon to be 4 foods and his fur looks signigicantly whiter except for his tail
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

That is a good thing to hear! Just out of curiosity, why are you mixing so many foods together? & if I may ask... what kind/s of food are you feeding?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

The more foods the better. The protein percent should be 30% or higher, the fat percent should be 8-10% and the first 3-4 ingredients should be some sort of meat. If the second ingredient is a wheat or rice or something of the sorts it's not the best for them because they can't digest veggies well and it can cause an ulcer. The better the food you feed them the less itchy and softer coat they will have.

I am feeding Maxx Nutrition kitten food, Chicken Soup for the Soul cat food, 8in1 premium ferret food (kind of cheap and not the best but it's still good for the protein, i think this is one that has the second or third ingredient NOT meat) and a ferret food from the pet store ((can't remember the name)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

if you ask my honest opinion you shouldn't feed you ferrets cat food. It is made specifically for cats not ferrets. There are several good ferret foods that offer exactly what a ferret needs. I certainly cannot tell you how to feed or care for your ferrets nor do I intend to... but I ask that you check out this link http://forums.paw-talk.net/showthrea...threadid=11287 . There are several ferret food comparisons available. Ferrets actually should have a diet with more than 38% protein. Anything with corn or by-products are no good.
And you are right the food can also help determine how the skin & coat feels... all I ask is please read the thread. I think you should honestly pick 1 food & stick to it for the best interest of your fur babies
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Ask any other ferret owner and they prefer to mix *kitten* food with their ferret food. Kitten food is very high in protein and has the first few ingredients meat. The cat food I feed just happens to be the same as kitten food just named for cats. It is best for your ferret to feed a variety of high protein/fat/meat foods, not just ferret food.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

I have asked several ferret owners & contacted the AFA & that is where I got the information from. To be honest you are the first person of the several I have spoken with on this subject that "mixes" food.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

join the the ferret store forums and ask those people, almost all of them, if not all, feed a mixture of foods because it is the healthiest for the ferrets. www.ferretstoreforums.com
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

I am a member of TFS, thanks for the link though. It was on TFS that I learned about not feeding a ferret cat food & how it is in the best interest of the ferrets to pick one food (good HIGH quality food) & stick with it.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

fsty I do mix food but not for the reasons tute does.
I mix two foods only because if one is not avalible I can get the other kind with out changing his whole diet.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, i learned on TFS that you should mix foods....NOT cat food, KITTEN food....I feed one CAT food because it happens to match up with kitten food as far as nutrients and ingredients. I was feeding a really cheapo ferret food and on TFS is where I learned you should feed a variety of foods.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Interesting... I'll have to look into it & do more research. Thanks Maybe people have changed their way of doing things since I last researched

(glider.. your reasonings make plenty of sense )

and just a side note... I don't condem or jusdge anyone for mixing food, it is your choice & ferrets not mine. I just didn't/don't understand the reasoning behind it when you can get 1 quality ferret food & stick with it.

Tags
adrenal disease, cat food, chicken soup, dark brown, ferret food, fur babies, kitten food, pet store