Please let me know the value of this content - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Toilet Paper Deputy In Training

Please let me know the value of this content

Please view this brochure on Ferrets and answer the following questions.

Why you ask?
Because I might buy the guinea pig version of these brochures as they are fairly inexpensive and what is covered in this brochure may help to make my descision.

This is the brochure:
http://www.exoticdvm.com/pdfs/smallmammal.pdf

This is the link displaying the brochures they have to offer:
http://www.exoticdvm.com/education_brochures.asp

And this is the company:
Exotic DVM Magazine

Questions:
1. Would this be helpful to new owners?
2. Would this be helpful to fairly experienced owners?
3. How detailed is the brochure? Does it roughly cover subjects or does it go into good depth?
4. Is all the information in this brochure true and generally come from an unbiased standpoint?
5. Is any of the information misleading?
6. What do you like best about the brochure?
7. Would you hand this brochure out to people interested in ferrets?

Thank you!

Last edited by Allysse; 07-12-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Re: Please let me know the value of this content

Questions:

1. Would this be helpful to new owners? Yes I think it would it is very general, BUT it gives enough information that new owners may not know.

2. Would this be helpful to fairly experienced owners? Honestly, probably not... it is all pretty basic information that the experienced owner most likely already knows.

3. How detailed is the brochure? Does it roughly cover subjects or does it go into good depth? It's adequate... pretty general... it does not go into any kind of depth... I noticed a few things left out that probably should/could have been mentioned: ie... adrenal disease is very common in older ferrets.

4. Is all the information in this brochure true and generally come from an unbiased standpoint? Yes from what I see everything is true & correct.

5. Is any of the information misleading? no, I didn't see anything misleading.

6. What do you like best about the brochure?
It gives brief information & the basics that EVERY ferret owner should know. The fact that everything was accurate is also a plus... because information tends to vary so much from different sources.

7. Would you hand this brochure out to people interested in ferrets? Absolutely! anything to help educate people with correct information they may not have known is worth handing out.

if you have any more questions let me know!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 11:58 PM

"sick ferret" syndrome? There is no such disease/illness. The symptoms sound more like ulcers....sick ferret syndrome sounds well...made up. Anytime a ferret is unhealthy or not feeling well, it's sick. So, technically all of those could be considered sick ferret syndrome.
I wouldn't say the information in the brochure is totally misleading, but the common disease names listed are very vague (tumors?) and they need to be corrected if they want to be passing out clear, concise info. And as fsty said, adrenal disease should be listed as it is one of *the* most common ferret illnesses along with insulinoma(which should also be listed as well as Lymphosarcoma and ADV).
Green slime disease is just a nickname for ECE(Epizootic Catarrhal Eneritis)
Also, 1tsp a day of fruits or veggies is entirely too much. They really shouldn't have them at all; but if given, it should only be at the most, once a week and in very, very small amounts. They have no caecum, so they cannot digest fibrous foods.
Other than that I think it looks fine. Leave it to me to be a PITA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 12:24 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

thanks for all the clarifications Nancy! you are right on a lot of that... I guess I wasn't looking at it from an advanced knowledge point of view... just a very "basic" general info point of view.
I know they are NOT supposed to have dairy... & too much sugar is bad.. but I thought when it came to natural sugar found in fruits/vegis very small doses are ok???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:18 PM

even with a very "basic" general info point of view, the disease/illness names need to be correct; in case a potential or present ferret owner wants to do some research on any of the diseases. If they look up sick ferret syndrome, they'll be hitting a brick wall And they'd want to know that their ferret isn't being misdiagnosed and not receiving the proper medical treatment. Many vets are clueless when it comes to treating ferrets(regardless of what they *say*).
It's interesting, for many years ferrets were considered lactose intolerant. But it's now been found that not *all* ferrets are this way. Many people(most outside of the US...the UK for example) allow their ferrets to drink milk and they found that if their ferrets become accustomed to drinking milk, it doesn't affect them and they don't get ill from it. However, many ferrets will show signs of stomach sensitivity to milk and other dairy products(stomach cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc). A small taste of dairy products(i.e. milk or ice cream) once in a very rare while won't necessarily hurt them. It all depends on each individual ferret. But I definitely wouldn't give them milk or dairy as a staple in their diet.
Very small amonts of fruit are ok. But 1tsp per day is far too much. It's not the sugar in the fruit that's the worry...it's the fiber content. They can't digest it; not to mention the risk of possible intestinal blockage(especially dried fruits and raw vegetables). It doesn't serve them any nutritional value whatsoever--even raisins. And you definitely have to be very careful of sugars, even the natural sugars in fruit, as a ferret gets older and is more prone to problems with their blood sugar.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks for clearing all that up Nancy! it is appreciated.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Toilet Paper Deputy In Training

Is it possible that Sick Ferret Syndrome is another term for something?

I'm going to pile all these things into consideration before purchasing the gp brochure. Thanks everyone.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:53 PM

I guess whoever put it together used sick ferret syndrome for lack of a better term...or for non-specific symptoms. However, the black tarry stool is usually most often seen with ulcers(as are the other symptoms listed). Ulcers are quite common in ferrets. Black in stools is digested blood, usually coming from an ulceration or other injury in the stomach

Tags
adrenal disease, dried fruit, dried fruits, guinea pig