Please please please Read This!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Please please please Read This!!!

Im thinking about getting a new ferret tomorrow... I have 2 females living 2gether for about 2 weeks, now Im thinking about buying a new ferret tomorrow... do I have to get another female or should it be ok if I get a male?? please I would like an answer as soon as possible, by the way the 2 ferrets that I have now were cagemates when I got them, so do you think the will get along with the new ferret?? thankyou!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

soon going to be a grandma to some dwarve hamsters!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Are you gonna be having a the females neutered? It wouldnt be a good idea to get a male if the girls are able to have babies!!! You really dont wanna go breeding them i wouldnt think!! I would get another girl to be safe if i were you. xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Guarded by Waffles

If the females are spayed then a male should be okay but if they aren't I wouldn't get a male. Also you will have to quarantine the new ferret in case he/she has a disease, you don't want all three getting it. Then introduce them in a neutral area so they aren't territorial. Hope this helps

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

the girls are neutered, but Ive heard females prefer female companions than male, i just f=dont want them fighting or anything.

soon going to be a grandma to some dwarve hamsters!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I'm not sure if the females prefer other females over males. It sounds funny but I may be wrong.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Smile You have lot's of pets!

Wow! You sure do have alot of pets! Heres what I would do: Take them to wherever you are planning to get new pets. Which ever animals seem to be best with them, get.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I wouldn't do that because if they got into a fight with the unowned animal then you could end up paying the bills...I would just bring a female home since the females are already getting along with each other. If you really want a male you can quarantine it and then slowly introduce the females to the male. If they never get a long then you can have three ferrets with two different play times, not the best solution but the only one I can think of at the moment.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
laugh often

I remember someone telling me that if you own a female ferret then you need a boy to go with her for the safety of her. Something about the female needs a release and only the male can help her if not she could die but I am not sure how true this is it may be something you'd want to check out though.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Guarded by Waffles

That's only if the female isn't spayed. If they don't go into estrus then there is a blood build up and they die. That's what I read...or think I read

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out