Questions about getting a ferret or two :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Question Questions about getting a ferret or two :)

I am new to this board and new to ferrets. I used to keep fancy rats as pets for about 4 years, but now i am ready for something different. I have been doing some researching over the past couple of weeks, read some books and magazines so far. Wondering if it is ok to just get one ferret or is it best to get two, lets say a male and a female (i fell in love with these two at a lps) what is a good age to get them at? What is a good size cage for either a single ferret or two? Would a cage with the dimensions of: 32"L x 20"w x 30"H be ok for one or two? Or how bout the Marshalls Deluxe Ferret Starter Home: 24.5"L x 24.5"W x 29"H ? Also it seems that every pet store out here in IL gets their ferrets from Marshalls, is that ok? Prices range from $119 - $129 is that normal? What is the best food to feed them? Which brand do you like best? What do you think of ZuPreem Premium Food, or SunSeed, or 8 in 1 products or Marshall food? There are more brands than I thought there would be, so some help would be greatly appreciated. How often do you need to give a ferret a bath? that is all the questions i will ask for now before i babble on and on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

First off welcome to PT!!

Quote:
Wondering if it is ok to just get one ferret or is it best to get two, lets say a male and a female (i fell in love with these two at a lps)
1 would be ok BUT they are very energetic & playful animals so if it is possible to get at least 2 I would do that (however though make sure it is within your budget, that also means 2x the vet bills as well should you need to seek health care.

Quote:
what is a good age to get them at?
Any age really.... keep in mind a ferrets average life span is 5-7 years although there have been some reported to live as long as 12-14. If you get them young they will learn to grow with you * your family & learn your routines as were getting them older they may require a little more patience or TLC (not likely though unless there are health problems, which is known to happen in older ferrets)

Quote:
What is a good size cage for either a single ferret or two? Would a cage with the dimensions of: 32"L x 20"w x 30"H be ok for one or two? Or how bout the Marshalls Deluxe Ferret Starter Home: 24.5"L x 24.5"W x 29"H ?
When it comes to cages I always say get the absolute larges one you can afford without putting yourself in debt. I don't like the marshalls starter one because it just doesn't (in my opinion) give even a single ferret adequate space to roam & play. The first one you mentioned would be ok for 1 ferret although it should preferrably be taller as ferrets are climbers & like variety. Maybe I am just spoiled & used to my cage. Mine is about 3 ft wide x 2 1/2 ft deep x abt 4 ft tall. (I have 4 ferrets in it and it seems adequate, but I would love to build or buy them a larger one)

Quote:
Also it seems that every pet store out here in IL gets their ferrets from Marshalls, is that ok? Prices range from $119 - $129 is that normal?
There is really nothing wrong with Marshall ferrets although they seem small. I would strongly suggest getting the ferret(s) check by your vet right away though just to be on the safe side. I would actually consider finding a local breeder though rather than the pet store only because then you will know the history & background of the babies & blood lines as well as have better odds of getting 1 or 2 that have been handled & socialized better than you would find in a pet store.

Those prices seem to be about average... by buying from a breed you not only may get better quality as well as possibly lower prices... or could be higher depending on the breeder.

Quote:
What is the best food to feed them? Which brand do you like best? What do you think of ZuPreem Premium Food, or SunSeed, or 8 in 1 products or Marshall food? There are more brands than I thought there would be, so some help would be greatly appreciated.
I actually did a food comparison that may be very helpful for you! food comparison I have recently added a mix of kitten food to their diet as was reccommended by some better knowledged ferret owners/breeders than I. My discovery is that many ferret owners actually give them a mix of food rather than just one food. Zupreem, Marshalls, & 8-1 ULTIMATE are all pretty good though. Check out that chart is actually has a lot of information!

Quote:
How often do you need to give a ferret a bath?
You don't want to bathe a ferret too often as it drys out their skin and they alread naturally have dry skin. I usually bath mine once maybe twice during the summer when it is humid & hot outside. but in the winter my house is very dry so I don't bathe them. NOW many ferrets like to play in water & you can do this as often as they want just limit the use of soap or shampoos.

Quote:
that is all the questions i will ask for now before i babble on and on...
There is a TON of information to learn about ferrets and I would like to thank you for taking the time to learn & educate yourself about them BEFORE you get them to make sure they are a right fit for you & your lifestyle. Many people just buy them on impulse they dump them somewhere when they don't "work out"

I am here to help in anyway I can and if I don't know the answer will do my best to find it for you! I hope to see more of you around!

Tags
fancy rats, kitten food, pet store