Seriously Malnourished Ferret - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Seriously Malnourished Ferret

This was posted to the FML; thought I'd share it. Pet stores like this should be put out of business
*note: this post was not made by me; it was made by Melissa Eberle on the FML--I merely crossposted it*

"I wanted to than everyone who responded to my previous request for
advice and suggestions about the extended care of a deathly ill ferret. I deeply appreciate the outpouring of encouragement, support, and advise. The baby ferret is recovering well, and her condition is stabalized at this point. We have named this baby "Hope."

Hope is now alert, and able to walk. She is getting lots of loving
care from my husband and I, and she is expected to make a full recovery. The vet suspects she has Influenza. She has a swollen scabbed over vulva (which was caked in feces when I got her). She is loaded with ear mites.
She is on a lot of antibiotics, and thankfully, is showing tremendous
improvement. She no longer needs iv fluids - she is rehydrated and
eagerly accepting handfed baby food, nutritional supplements and
liquids. Once her body is a little more replenished, she will be able to have mushed up ferret food added to her diet over the next few days.

I created a website about the abuse this animal has endured, as well as the indifference of Pet Supermarket that let her just wither away. Some of the pictures I posted are horrific, but pictures can say so much more than words. http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html

I have also notified Marshall Farms via phone, and am providing them
with complete documentation, including pictures of the abuse this
animal suffered. All documentation, as well as a written statement from our vet will be given to the Pet Supermarket corporation, the local humane society, animal control, news media, the Better Business Bureau, and anyone else that will listen. I am furious that this abuse was allowed to happen.

Thank you all again for all the suggestions and advise. I will
continue to post updates on Hope's progress!

Mellisa (Cid, Boo, and Hope)
http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html

------------------------------

Subject: Filed animal cruelty charges against Pet Supermarket

Here is another update. I have more good news to announce!

Today, I took about 12 horrifying pictures, a written statement from my vet concerning the neglect of this ferret, and complete documentation of the events that led up to this point and filed animal cruelty charges against Pet Supermarket. The police department was most sympathetic and equally irate about the condition of the animal. The pictures really said it all. While they conduct an investigation, they will be closely monitoring the remaining ferrets at the pet store, as they too have been exposed to Influenza and are crawling with ear mites.

I also followed up with Marshall Farms, but have not yet heard back
from them. I also posted that correspondence on my website, if anyone would like to read it. Here is a link:
http://www.robandmellisa.com/mfcomplaint.html

Hope is still improving and regaining her strength. She even played
with a stuffed toy this evening. She now has a tummy and is starting to look more like a ferret and less like a skeleton.

Mellisa (Cid, Boo, and a recovering Hope)

http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html
Above link describes this whole ordeal and contains pictures of Hope's abused condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

THat is so sad.I don't see how any petshop could allow this to happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
animal control, animal cruelty, ear mites, ferret food, humane society, local humane society, pet store, pet stores