strange noise... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

strange noise...

Hi there everyone... I haven't posted in a long time...

I have a ferret question: I have a new kit (about 3 months old) - had him for a few weeks. Yesterday he started making this funny noise all the time. It's not chirping, and it's not coughing. It's almost like a tiny hiccup. He does it every few minutes, and usually he does it several times in a row. It's very quiet - almost like he's swallowing over and over but with a tiny squeak underneath so I can hear it. He was also coughing a bit more than usual while he was out of his cage yesterday.
I was thinking maybe he swallowed something he shouldn't have, but he seems to be eating and going to the bathroom normally. (hard to tell for sure because of the other ferrets, but I'm keeping my eye out...)
I gave him some laxatone a few times in case (this is not so easy because out of all my ferrets he hates everything but his food) but I managed to get some down by scruffing him.

Has anyone heard this noise before? If so, what's the deal?

Thanks so much,
brittany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Where, or Where Could That Fairy Be?

It could be a hiccup. Human babies are prone to hiccups when their bellies are full. I would definitely isolate him for a few days to make sure that he is pooping normally as a blockage undetected could be deadly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I have been sent a Valentine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Annie~ B.B.- cat, Toffee-ferret and RIP hedgehogs, Prickles, Pepper, Coconut and Nutmeg
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Fertmom - I will isolate him and see what happens... today he doesn't seem his normal crazy self.

thanks for the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

Ferrets have very sensitive respratory systems as well ... if he is coughing I would certainly call the vet - it could be signs of a URI - better to be safe than sorry.

I too agree about the blockages - they can sneak upon you & be fatal at a moments notice.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Hi guys and thanks for the feedback... I've been giving him laxatone and I separated him from the others. He's been eating and going to the bathroom as of today (that's a huge relief) and the noise has gone away. Today he was also back to his normal, totally insane self again. (That was also a relief, sort of
-brittany
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Where, or Where Could That Fairy Be?

That is good news!

I have been sent a Valentine

~Annie~ B.B.- cat, Toffee-ferret and RIP hedgehogs, Prickles, Pepper, Coconut and Nutmeg
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Playful Pup

i would probably isolate as well. i had a little problem with about the same thing i believe, and i just thought it was hiccups, or she got water up her nose taking a drink, but it ended up spreading to tinker, and i had to get a vitamin for their food, and get the marshall hairball stuff for their food. all turned out well, but i should have seperated them when i first heard it, and i would have only had to deal with one sicky instead of 2.

Samantha

R.I.P. Ginger "you were the best dog ever!"

: R.I.P. Tinker "mommy's first baby"

R.I.P. Bonnie "my sweet baby girl"

Cochise black lab

Cena double dappled dachshund

Tink can fix Anything!