thinking of getting a ferret - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Lightbulb thinking of getting a ferret

I am thinking of getting a ferret but i have no clue about them except that they are cute, can u give me some in for on how good and bad having a ferret is.:cool:

MATT SIMPSON (RATMAN)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:50 PM
Adolescent Pup

There is a book you can get at petsmart. It is called Ferrets for dummies. This is the best ferret book to read. It tells you everything you need to know.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:43 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Ferrets are cute, alot of fun to play with, VERY smart, but they can poop up a storm! I had 2 ferrets and was constantly cleaning out the litterbox. I'm talking 2-3 times a day! I tried different types/brands of food so that their bodies would use more of it and poop less. It got to the point where I had a hard time keeping up with just the cleaning part. When I started college while continuing to work 60 hours a week, I just couldn't keep up anymore so I found them an excellent home with a young girl and they are her life. I check in on them from time to time and they are healthy and happy with her.

Did I love playing with them and spending time with them? Absolutely! Are they fun? Absolutely! Are they great pets? YES!But they aren't for just anyone. Make sure you research EVERYTHING first (including poop!) before you make a decision.

There are a few ferret owners here that are more successful with them than me. I just wanted to tell you my experience so that you don't end up in the same situation as me.

Rhonda

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

In my opinion... ferrets are a wonderful pet... BUT... they are also a lot of work! as Scarlette said you must do all teh research you can about them BEFORE getting one.
One problem a lot of people have is they get a ferret when it is young (also called a kit) and take it home ready to play & rough house with it. Then all of a sidden the kit starts nipping (biting) and sometimes even draws blood if they catch you just right... then off to a shelter it goes because it was a biter & nobody wants to deal with a biter.
Ya see ferrets have a very tough skin & when kits play with each other they tend to play rough because of that reason. Ferrets do not know that our skin is more sensitive & that what they are doing is hurting us, all they think they are doing is trying to play. You really have to have a lot of patience when it comes to this.

Ferrets are VERY smart animals & as a general rule learn very quickly. They also try to be very clever & outsmart you from time to time. You can never let your guard down with them. Having a ferret is like have a 2 year old child running around 24/7!

Ferrets need to have a diet very high in protein. They also have special diet requirements such as NO dairy products & you shouldn't give them sweets (sugar.)

Then another thing you need to know is all the possible illness a ferret is prone to, especially as it gets older. There is adrenal disease, insulinoma, possible anemia... you have to make sure you are prepared for these. (those are just a few) Granted not ALL ferrets get this but they are very common. Deafness is also common in certain ferrets carrying a gene called the "warrenberg gene" (I think that is the name of it) this is most prominant in white ferrets, pandas' & blazes' (a lot of white markings).

I currently have 4 ferrets. 3 females & 1 male. All of which have been spayed/neutered & descented. I know for sure 1 of my females (possibly 2 of them) are deaf. We have been having a lot of biting issues & trust issues going on... but ya gotta be patient & work through it! BUT irregardless I would NOT trade them for anything in the world!

What I have said is NOT by any means everything you need to know just touches base of a few... The book Glidertales deffinately gives good info! & Scarlette is absolutely right! they DO poop a lot! some ferrets are worse than others & some smell worse then others. Ferrets have a naturally musky smell to them which tends to bother a lot of people also... with proper care though this can be greatly reduced! (the smell, NOT the poop )

Ok... I am done writing my book now... I think I am gonna take a break for a while! If you haev any specific questions don't hesitate to ask & I will try to do my best to help! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 01:52 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I had 4 ferrets at one time several years ago. I got more laughs from those guys than any pet I ever had. Each one had such different personalities too. I always tell people they're like having a kitten that never grows up. I feel they need a lot of attention and must be let out of cage to play everyday under supervision of course. I also think they really need companionship and a play partner so getting at least 2 is the best.
Like Scarlette I did not like the litterbox duties, mine as I remember were very messy and didn't always use the box .
They are very intellegent and letting them sit in a cage day after day is cruel- like caging a dog or cat.
I never had a problem with biting except when 1 was a baby it would latch on sometimes but it stopped doing that after awhile- and that same one would go after my son who was like 4 at the time and crawl up to his neck and try to latch on- therefore I didn't allow my son in the room when the ferrets were playing together because I don't think that particular ferret was acting right with my son.
I guess you got tons of info but I wouldn't rush into one unless you had plenty of time to give to it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Obsessed With Turtles

I agree with you LL! 2 is always better then one!
They can/do outgrow their biting as they get older... gotta get past the baby phase first. A ferret should never be left to roam unsupervised as you said (I think I forgot to mention that!) There are so many hazards & dangers for them otherwise!

Please whatever you do Ratman.... put A LOT of thought into this before going forward with getting one! You really have to know as much as you can about them BEFORE you get one. And honestly getting one "just because they are cute" is not a good reason to do it... your heart really has to be in it for the life of the ferret.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:09 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by fstybrat
I agree with you LL! 2 is always better then one!
And 3 is even better. If you have researched a lot and have enough money, I would suggest getting 3. Ferrets get very attached to each other and if one dies, the other will get depressed and die also. If you have 3 or more ferrets, there are other ferrets to keep each other company even if one passes on.

Tags
adrenal disease