Thinking of Getting a Ferret - Good Places to Buy One - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thinking of Getting a Ferret - Good Places to Buy One

Ok so I want a ferret, been wanting one for a while. The only places I know of near me that has any is Petdepot and Petco. Is getting one from one of those a good idea? I'm just not sure of a good place to get one. I do plan on getting another one if I can get this first one, whenever I can get one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Newborn Pup

I just got one a few days ago a little boy 8wks old and albino ... didn't think something so small could cause so much havoc lol...

On a serious note if going for an albino be aware they can be deaf and blind try some basic sight and hearing tests before you commit.

Good Luck

Steve
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

rescues are better, but once again you need to wait a while before getting another pet, i think you are a little overwhelmed by your situation right now.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

@Barking Mad: Ok thanks for the tip because I was kind of wanting an albino one, or at least a mostly white one.

@Kendalle: Yeah I know, but I'm not sure if there are any rescues close by I looked before but couldn't find a ferret rescue. Yeah I know I was planning on waiting a while, I just wanted to know the best place for when it comes the time I can own one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Betta Bomb

I would NOT get one from a pet store!!!! NEVER buy pets from pet stores because most chain pet stores such as Petco and Petdepot and most other franchised stores such as Pets Unlimited and PetSmart get their live animals from warehouses who mass produce animals in S**tty conditions with little or no vet care and without care to notice genetic diseases or mishaps. They treat the animals as objects and turn them out to pet stores to receive profit. The animals usually are so stressed out by the journey and by the lack of attention they receive by idiot employees who have little knowledge of their needs that many just die. Also, many employees cannot properly sex the animals and therefore house males and females together which turns into accidental litters. Sick animals are out up for sale because the animals were not individually looked over by an accredited veterinarian and a lot of prey animals (rabbits, rodents) hide their illnesses until it's too late and some larger animals (reptiles) are just harder at finding internal illnesses by a regular pet store employee, so the animal you buy could be sick and die. The animals, since mass produced in a warehouse receive little human companionship or affection so when they are bought they have socialization or behavior issues which makes the new expectant owner give it up or totally neglect it.
If not a reputable breeder then a rescue would be a better option because you have some background of the animals parents or health. It feels better to rescue a pet rather than buy it in some genetic store like a pair of jeans. Ferrets are very social and you shouldn't get one if you cannot provide it's needs right away. They are predators and like to chase and hunt their prey (even if it's pinkie mice) and they require a lot of play which another ferret would be best for.
As Kendalle mentioned, until you get your dog situation figured out I do not think you should get a ferret! If the dog has to live outside because your grandmother does not want it indoors then she will surely despise a ferret!! They love to run and play in furniture and around tables and under rugs and they love to chase things, be it feet or cats etc...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

If I worked at one of the pet stores I'd want the specific job of taking care of the animals. I'd play with them, in fact that would probably be all I wanted to do. I guess that's why they only garuntee they'll stay alive for a certain amount of days. Ok I'll look harder for a rescue cause sometimes I don't like the way the ferrets in the pet stores look, nor do I like the whole guaranteed to live for a certain amount of days thing either.
Yeah I know they do and the cat and ferret could play. I think my cat would play with it anyway, he plays with the neighbors small dog and wants to be chased and wants to chase him. Yeah I'm not going to get one for awhile.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Betta Bomb

My sisters cat Illusion was the same! He would taunt my dog Coco until Coco chased him and wrestled him to the ground! You should be careful letting your cat out playing with dogs though! He's bound to meet a dog who does not want to play!!
Most chain stores will be careful to NOT hire people so experienced in animal care because they are a retail outlet which means they care about 1 thing= PROFITS. I was turned down at a small pet store because on my old resume I included the experience I had in animal care. Big mistake!! lol the owners of these establishments know that someone genuinely concerned about the best care for animals will poke and prod into the way they handle business and rat them out to authorities... Case in point:
A girl worker was fired from our only Petcetera location (before they went bankrupt) because she alerted the media and police for advice when at a staff meeting the employees were told of the business' bankruptcy and she asked what would happen to the live animals -which included birds that had gotten free and lived in the rafters- and was told they would all be euthanized on site. This worker did the right thing by alerting the media though, I do not know what became of the animals afterwards... I think they went into the local small animal rescue.
Now, I'm not saying all are this bad! I know the same location where I buy Acacia's hay and food and that I was turned down from hires half smart people. At least the guy there last time I went in seemed to know a little about bunnies and he was approachable and kind. They lie through their teeth when it comes to someone wanting to purchase an animal- they are getting paid to make a sale.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

TomTom only likes to play with dogs his size so he'd run and put up a fight with a larger dog. CoCo wants to play with him, but he doesn't want to play with her. I'm only letting him play with that dog cause I know none of the other dogs in the neighborhood would want to play with him.

I guess that leaves me out then cause I'd probably won't to change a few things about what the animals ate. Pet Depot puts water in their ferrets' food. I don't understand that. I'd probably want to give the ferrets a bath, but they probably wouldn't let me.

That's just terrible, yeah I know all aren't that bad.

I was at Pet Depot one time and a little girl and her mother was there to getting a baby hamster that was ready. The girl held one and it squirmed out of her hand and fell onto the floor, not back into it's cage. They put it back and got one of the other ones. She said she didn't want the one she dropped. I'd take the one I dropped because well I dropped it, I was there to get one so why not. The sales person said she forgot to tell her how to hold it so it wouldn't do that.

Tags
ferret