Is this the truth, or just a nasty rumor? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Is this the truth, or just a nasty rumor?

http://foreverfuzzy.bravehost.com/boycott.html

This is the link to a website that has some disturbing news about Marshall Farms. Is it true? I've always been told that they are a good place to get ferrets from. Now, I'm not so sure.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I've heard this before. I've also seen pictures of beagles they raise I think for experimentation. One pic showed a beagle that had been burned on purpose sitting curled in a ball in pain. I hope to god it isn't true but who knows?

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

Jenny- that is a HUGE controversial issue to be honest.

In my opinion I do not feel Marshall's ferret food is the best in quality & I have owned Marshall ferrets that have been perfectly healthy although smaller than my non-Marshall babies. Would I go out of my way to support them? No way... but then again I won't hold the fert babies responsible for the breeders ignorance.

I cannot say myself if the conditions at Marshall's is what is described on that page as I have never seen it for myself, so I don't feel it would be fair of me to pass judgment.

What I will say is that make sure you research the situation very thoroughly & form your own opinion. Believe me there is TONS of info on the net about them if you just search for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I also found one that said the same thing, although the person whose website that was had a "oh well" attitude towards the matter.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

The thing I'm concerned with is that I really want to get just one ferret for a start to see how they are and b/c I can't afford the initial shots for two ferrets. Rescue groups and a lot of breeders I've found only adopt out/sell to people with multiple ferret homes. That leaves buying from a pet store, and most pet stores sell Marshall's ferrets. The way I'm looking at it is, yes, that is horrible if they do that. I can boycott them by not buying their products. But if I don't get one of their ferrets, someone else will, and they may not take care of it like I will. Is that wrong to feel that way?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

No I don't think you are wrong at all! If you want my HONEST opinion... I would buy the one in the petstore then. I have done it & I have gotten them from a rescue. My ferrets are healthy & well cared for & I think that is what is most important.

While I say 2 is better than 1... I also say do what is best for your situation! If you know you can only afford 1 ferret- then only get one- with lots of love & attention he/she will be just fine! Personally I must say kudos to you for making that decision! Many people would buy 2 as a spur of the moment decision not thinking about the long term costs involved. Hats off to you for being responsible.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Part of the Pack

I have heard mostly bad things about Marshall ferrets and I don't agree with large scale "mill" breeding for the most part. I have never set foot in their breeding facility (or facilities) so I cannot say how they care for their ferrets. It just seems unethical to me to cage and breed thousands of animals like that for monetary purposes. I'm sure they don't know the animals personally and I would venture a guess that most don't receive any playtime, exercise, or proper veterinary care when they need it... but again this is just my opinion.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 10:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Marshalls ferrets DO seem to have very sweet personality. All 4 of my marshall's ferrets did. They also each died of insulinoma and adrenal tumors.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTChin
They also each died of insulinoma and adrenal tumors.

That's what I am scared of.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur

Tags
ferret food, pet store, pet stores, veterinary care