Tutebugs... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Tutebugs...

Here are my thoughts with your fuzzbutts...

first of all, what exactly is going on? are they fighting as in dragging each other around by the neck? hissing or screahing at each other?

How old are all of them do you know??

I really think it may be a dominance issues. Who seems to be the instgator?

(I figured I would move this discussion here rather than in your intro thread ) I'll do my best to help offer suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 08:56 AM

They are screaching, dragging, biting, and sometimes pooping. Snuggles seems to be the one that's instigating. She's the first ferret we got, and we got her as a baby, so she's really a spoiled brat. She's a little over a year and deaf. Georgie seems to keep her distance but will bite at the new one once in a while. She is about 2. Our newest Kali is the one being picked on, she's a little over a year, around the same age as Snuggles. When we first got Jelly Snuggles would pick on him all the time, they constently be running around the apartment squealing, but, they got used to each other. Then when we brought Kali in ALL of them started at each other, except Georgie, she wasn't as bad, she's really laid back and could care less about most things. For the last few weeks no one has gotten along and a Jelly and Kali weren't able to play that much. I just decided it was best to move Jelly on to someone that can play with him more and where he won't be picked on or have to pick on someone. He was the only ferret for 2 yrs as have my Snuggles and Georgie (alone yet together for a year, make sense?) Anyway, things seem to be going a little better with the big bruiser gone, but there is still some chasing and biting and dragging between snuggles, georgie and kali. We try and let them just fight things out unless it looks like they're getting too rough or someone poops from fear. I hope this made sense, if not, let me know and I'll try and clarify!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Makes perfect sense!!

Here's what I think... Snuggles as you said is terribly spoiled & may feel that her position being "head honcho" is being threatened by Kali being the newcomer. It still sounds like a dominancy thing though. Snuggles is just trying to make sure they know SHE is the boss & nobody is gonna change that. I think that with her being deaf (as I have learned with Winnie) she may just be a little more stubborn & take longer to accept Kali is now part of the family. She isn't able to hear the others screaching so she doesn't know she is getting carried away. (to this day Winnie STILL tries to be a little snot & bites me sometimes when I try to pick her up & she is out running in time though things are getting better!)

I think you are doing the right thing by letting them fight it out though... interfereing only when someone is really getting hurt. (no blood is being drawn is it?) If blod is being drawn you may want to physically separte them for a bit.

One thing that has helped me in the past:
when Snoopy would try to play top dog (he was the oldest one remaining after Sissy died) as we got each of the girls he would constantly bite into their neck & drag them around like a rag doll, sometimes they would screach sometimes they wouldn't. I felt so bad for each of them cause I was affraid he was hurting them, especially since he is 3 times their size!
Any way, what I finally found to work was to get a spray bottle (nothing fancy just an ordinary plant or hair spray bottle) pout it on the stream setting & keep it by the cage. Whenever Snuggles gets carried away spray her with the stream until she lets go. Eventually she will catch on! Also in the summer the spray bottle comes in handy, but not on the stream... use the spary as this cools them off & they seem to love it! Make sure though you only use stream for punishment & spray for general so they can differentiate between good & bad!

Try that & see if it helps!! Keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 10:39 AM

Today now, Georgie was being mean to Kali too. We went home between classes and let them out for a half hour and Georgie grabbed Kali by the neck and started shaking her head like she was trying to rip Kali's neck off. I seperated them after this happened.

As far as a spray bottle, we have a/c so I try not to have them wet or else they'll get chilled. The only time they're wet it bath time every few months and even then they stay in the bathroom til they are dry because it's not air conditioned.

I just scruff and drag or scruff and seperate when someone is getting a little too carried away.

I'm not only trying to get the 3 to get along I'm also trying to litter train outside of the cage. They are perfect inside the cage but outside the cage they are horrible. I found a spot that they seem to go most of the time and placed a litter box there but they still go right beside it or stick their butt beside it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I have A/C also & you're absolutely right! you don't want them to get too chilled, but they do dry rather quickly since you're not soaking them. it may be worth a try.

I had the same litter problem with Sissy... she refused to go in a litter box ... she has since passed away & luckily for the most oart 99.6 % of the time all 4 of my brats actually go back to their cage to go potty! Guess I am just lucky.

I think for the most part you have to let them battle it out... unless there is blood shed or crying I wouldn't worry all to much! Let me know what you get to work... hang in there!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

tutebugs,
How are your girls doing?? better I hope??
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:45 PM

The girls are doing *ok*

It's still a *beat on Kali* fest around here but we're just letting them work things out unless it gets too out of hand.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

at least it hasn't gotten worse
hope they figure it out soon!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 09:09 PM

Are these very hard to take care of? Well i like them and sometimes i play with them and they bite really hard but they are still fun to play around with

Tags
litter box, litter train