Update on Winnie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Angry Update on Winnie

Well as I stated in a previous post I honestly believe Winnie is deaf. It is just something we will have to deal with that will require a little more patience.
I had her out of the cage while the others where sleeping & nobody else was home. I found that she responds to tapping on the floor better in the dining room where there is hardwood floors more so then the carpet in the living room. She kept running in circles trying to get away from me while I sat still & let her. Eventually when she figured out I wasn't chasing her she started creeping closer & even let me pet her, she just didn't want me picking her up. I saw it was almost time for the kids to get home so I figured I better get her back in the cage. I sat on the floor in the living room in front of their cage & tapped their "cookie jar" (plastic container with ferret treats in it) on the floor. So not only could she feel the tapping on the floor but also the rattling of the cookies in the container. She actually came to me while I was doing that... I let her pick her own cookie out of the jar & eat it. Then I did it again only this time picked her up & gave her the cookie. (then put her in the cage while petting her so she knew she wasn't in trouble.) I was able to do this all with out getting bit! she tried nipping once but didn't succeed.

So there is the most recent update on her... I also thought I would share a couple picture of her...
this one is the way we usualy see her (backing into a corner to hide):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

And this is a picture of her with her tail poofed up ( I am assuming this is a sign of fear cause she only does this when extremely startled):
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

She's such a cutie, Kay!!

At least you know what the problem is now and you're able to start adapting to it. I'm so glad to hear you are making progress! I know how important it was for you.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

just for comparison sakes so you can see the difference, here is a picture of her with her tail relaxed (normal):

(she is the one on bottom left of the pic)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Steph! once I gain her trust it will be all so worth it!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

What a cutie there Fsty, and I am so glad you have figured out what seems to be wrong with her, and I know it is going to take some time for her to gain trust, but I'm sure once it happens things will seem to be "normal" again best of luck and wishes for both you and winnie

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks Kim! I'll still keep everyone updated on her progress as well as updates on her web page (haven't updated that in a while, now would be a good time to do that!)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 09:58 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

She's so pretty.

I'm sure she'll calm down now that you know what the problem is and try to work around it. Good luck to you and Winnie!

Rhonda

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 10:44 PM
still waiting for a title

I know he's not a ferret, but a guinea pig, and no, he's not deaf, but we had an extreme problem with Jack an his biting, too. I knew the conditions where he came, and new if I worked with him, things would calm down, and you know, he is the most loving guinea pig. He will actually cry to be picked up.

Once you conquer all Winnie's boundaries that she has with being deaf, she will learn to trust you fully, and then bond between you and her will be forever strong! Remember, hard work all ways pays well in the end!

Leigh Ann, Scott, Patrick, Pumpkin, Gizzy Izzy Wizzy, Brighton, Princess Jill, and Baby Jaqueline
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 10:22 AM

glad you're making progress with her. That's the best way to work with biters, especially those that are doing it due to being deaf. Positive reinforcement. They don't respond to reprimanding - they can't hear you, so they have no clue they've done something bad. They can't hear the *tone* in your voice to know they've been bad. Every time you pick her up put a treat(something lickable works best....ferretone/linatone, ferretvite, nutrical, even hairball laxative if she likes the taste of it). near her nose. While she's sniffing/licking the treat, use your other hand to pick her up. Use the treat whenever you feel you're in a situation where she would normally bite or nip. Eventually she'll learn to connect being handled/approached with something positive and somewhere down the line, you may even be able to handle her w/o the aid of treats, simply because she's learned to trust you and knows you're not going to hurt her.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 11:45 PM
ferret_frenzy

What a pretty girl she is. I have 2 deaf ferrets myself, DS and Blaze. They do great though, and are sweet as pie. Mine however have never really been biters. I just bang on the floor and they will come to me. Sometime I find myself tellingthem no LOL even though they can't hear me. Hard to break that habit.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Just wanted to let you all know that so far things are going pretty good! We approach her totally differently now & try to make sure she sees us coming at all times. The tapping on the floor method & being down at her level seem to work best.
In fact when she is in her cage & sees me moving around she eagerly waits at her door for me to pick her up.
We still have a lot to do with her but at least things are possitive right now.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 11:13 AM
ferret_frenzy

yayyyyy!! Glad things are working out!

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Yay! That's great news! Keep up the good work!

Rhonda

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

another quick update...
she is STILL being a brat BUT showing a few more signs of interest. She is more eager to come out of the cage now & even showing interest in wanting to play. She is still "bottle brushing" her tail but not as much. She is becoming a brave little thing... We still have a long ways to go but now that I know what her problem is I have A LOT more patience for her cause I feel sorry for her. I'll update again soon!

Thanks again for all your support!

Tags
guinea pig