Want to get a ferret - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Want to get a ferret

I'm thinking of getting a ferret. But I don't know much about them and taking care of them. I don't have any money, but that's going to change soon. Right now I live in a trailor house with parents. I have a cat and a dog. And I was thinking of keeping my ferret in my bedroom most the time (when I get one that is.) I might get a cage, but I wouldn't plan on locking it in there, and just let it wander my room as much as possible (I understand I'd have to ferret-proof my room). I'm still unsure about getting one, and being able to care for it. I'm getting a job that requires 20 hours of work per week at most. That part doesn't worry me, I'm worried about moving to a job where I work perhaps 5 or more hours. Can my future ferret handle me being gone and alone in my room? I would let it wander the whole house, but I'm afraid it'd get into too many things, and the cat or dog may harm it. Plus, my parents wouldn't be happy about letting it wander around the whole house. I live quite a boring life. The only time I do go outside is when I go shopping, or buy a pop, or whatever. The most I spend out of the house on my free time is an hour per day, or less. I'm just wondering, will this work out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 10:04 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Getting a ferret is a huge resposibilty. The cheapest thing you will do in the life of your ferret is purchase it. You will need to give it plenty of time out of the cage, and lots of play time with you. The only way your fuzzy would be ok alone for a period of time is if you had two fuzzies, so they entertain each other. Make sure you start a "vet fund", vet bills can be very expensive, ferrets can get lots of illnesses. I suggest researching and reading the book "ferrets for dummies" I researched for about a year before I got my first fuzzy and still didn't know all that much until I got my second one and joined a forum. I will be happy to answer any questions you have, PM me if you'd like.

Heather
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

OMG I am so sorry I don't know how I missed your post!

Where to start... quite honestly I do have to agree with Tutebugs... ferrets do need a lot of attention!

In my opinion you should always have at least a pair. Ferrets are very playful animals I need something to do when you are not around. You really should have a cage for them to be in when you are not home to supervise them. When you are home you don't have to keep them in the cage of course... as they do need to be let out to play & run several hours a day. (at least 2-4 at minimum, but the longer you are able the better.)
I don't know how big/small your room is but I personally don't feel they should be confined to 1 room unless that room is dedicated just to them. Of course yes, you would need to ferret proof your room or any room they are in. I too live in a trailer home & when my 4 ferrets are let out to play they are confined to the front 1/2 of the trailer (I slide a board down a track in the hallway to prevent them from going to the back as my daughter has guinea pigs in her room). on average buying a ferret (depending of course where you get them) costs around 100.00 each. Then you have to think about the cage which will most likely cost you around 200.00 depending on the size... food & litter cost can very depending on what you feed... I pay 40.00 for a 25 pound bag which lasts my ferrets about a month or so. I use corncob litter which I buy from a feed store costing about 20.00 for a 50 pound bag lasting about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. Then of course you have toys (you should always have plenty for a ferret to play with so they don't get bored) & treats... as well as vet care.
As you can see the cost gets up there... A ferret lives to be between 6 - 10 years, but I have heard of them living as long as 14.

PLEASE do all the research you can well before you actually make that commitment... to know whether a ferret is actually right for you. The very first place you should start is asking yourself: Why do I want a ferret ... really think about this question BEFORE you answer it. (ferrets for dummies is a good book btw)

please let me know specifically what you do know about them & what you would like to know? I guess the best way to start is with the basics... I am certainly here for you if you have any questions in particular!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Obsessed With Turtles

I also wanted to add that before you think about getting a ferret check your local laws & regulations! Ferrets unfortunately are illegal in some states and/or cities.

Also... check out this thread, there are several links with different information on ferrets!
FERRET INFO
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok, thanks for all your advice, it was quite helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
guinea pig, vet care