Weight Lose - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Unhappy Weight Lose

Hi,
I have four ferrets, a 4 yr old female, a 2 yr old female, a 2 yr old male and my youngest isn't yet a yr old. My three older ferrets keep losing weight. I don't know why I haven't changed anything. I give them I think it's called vita cal or somthing to help them keep a healthy weight. Any ideas of what might cause this or what I should do?

Thanks

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:13 PM

Weight loss can be associated with illness like insulinomia or adrenal. Do they have any other symptoms, mushy stools, lethargy, hair loss?
Make sure they are getting a high quality kitten food in their mix that is higher in fat. You can also feed cooked chicken and turkey for additional protein supplements.
Do you feed your ferrets duck soup?
I would ask the vet what he/she thinks also.
Our ferret loses weight in the heat of the summer and puts on weight in fall and winter. Some seasonal weight loss and gain can be normal.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

The only thing that I have noticed wrong is the weight lose. And I did speak with the vet today because I got extremly worried and she told me that it sounds normal ( because they have no other symptoms) She gave me a huge list of things to try to feed them and told me if that didn't help in a week or so bring them in. But in the mean time if I get to worried and just to be on the safe side to go ahead and bring them in for checkups. I think I may go ahead and take them on in.... Thanks for the advise. Right now they eat kitten food, some ferret food ( they don't like much of it though) But Im going to try the cooked chicken and turkey. They have the run of the house for part of the day so Im sure they also grab a few bites of dog food here and there but that shouldn't hurt them should it?? Well thanks

<3My "Fur" Kids<3
*Rascal, Avalanche: Doggy's*
~Dixon Chance: Cat~
<>Fortora Farms Grey Arrow: Mini Colt<>

Tags
dog food, duck soup, ferret food, hair loss, high quality kitten food, kitten food