What is wrong with my ferret? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Question What is wrong with my ferret?

Hi guys,

Iím having a problem with my ferret, he seems to be on heat and is always wanting to grab hold of your hand and drag you away (whatís the go with this), it has come to the point that he cant be out of his cage for long because he is doing this all the time, biting your hands, arms and feet and trying to pull you away!!
He has also been humping my mums arm, as well as always making little chirping noises.
He has also been smelling a lot more that usual, he smells like tar, even after u bath his a few days later the smell is unbearable!!

What can i do to get rid of his smell, can you have the sweat glands removed??

What can I do to stop him doing this?? Or how long do they go on heat for?? (Thatís even if he is on heat at the moment)

NEED HELP!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

regards
Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Is he nuetured? If not then getting him nuetured would help greatly with his behavior. Also, their scent glands can be removed at the same time.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

hi stormy, no he is not nuetured i think i might get it done and when they remove the glands will it hurt my little boy??

and it is a costly exersize??

Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 05:07 PM

Blake, I am not sure how much the procedure costs. It's been so long since we had on nuetured. And the last few were already nuetures when we bought them. You can call your vet and ask. I'm sure they will give you a price over the phone.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Herp Nerd

I would expect a cost at least somewhere in the 150-200 dollar range in the US, no idea what it would cost there. Thats a major reason why most ferrets come out of the ferret farms already fixed.

Really though, it will curb some of the odd behaviour, but he will _always_ have a distinctive ferret smell about him. Theres no way to be completely rid of that, but feeding a good quality diet does help a lot.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:00 AM

His smell and ruttyness will lessen after he gets neutered.

Also, do not over bathe him. Bathing more often that twice annually will actually make a ferret smell worse and make them much more itch. When you bathe a ferret you strip their skin of natural oils. Then the body must go into over drive to replace those oils, therefore making him smell worse.

I have never given a ferret a bath in my entire life. Heck, they never get into anything dirty or messy. My house and ferrets smell great!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys guys, My ferret loves water its hard to keep his of of the shower she just loves to run in the and stands under the water lol.
So you think if i neutered him it would stop alot of the biting? he never use to do this before untill now??
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Hi there another question how long will my ferret stay in heat for?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20QSX
So you think if i neutered him it would stop alot of the biting? he never use to do this before untill now??

Most certainly. Un-nuetered male ferrets are said to get extremely aggressive and may actually harm another ferret if one is about.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

*UPDATE*

Hey everyone my boy has now been neutered and I couldnít be happier!!! Aggressiveness has gone and his smell is soooo much better!!! And all it cost me was $71.50 which also included them cutting his nails and cleaning his ears!

Thanks for all your advice,

Regards
Blake
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:44 PM

I'm really glad you had him neutered! That's great news! I'm so glad everything worked out!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:55 PM

That's good news!!!