What's YOUR story? Please share :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Ferret Discussion Mischievous antics, missing items, and all else ferret.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Red face What's YOUR story? Please share :)

I thought it would be fun to share with each other how we all got our ferret babies! What got you started in ferrets? How did you aquire each of them? How long have you had ferrets? Please share your story

I'll start:

My ferrets where each aqquired differently- although I have to admit 3 of them (each under different circumstances) did indeed come from a pet store, which some people are totally against, but everyone has their opinions. I love talking about my little ones & appreciate any opportunity for doing so.

~ My first ever ferret Sissy (who is the one I was talking about that passed away) I actually got from my mother-in-law because she was moving to California & they are illegal there.
~My 2nd ferret, who happenes to be my favorite, is Snoopy. He is a canadian ferret & is HUGE. He was my first petstore rescue. Nobody would buy him because he was so big & they all wanted cute little ones. As a result he became nippy & started drawing blood from customers. I was approached by the manager one day & asked if I wanted to take him home with me. At the time I couldn't afford to buy another ferret as I was still adjusting to the one we had just gotten. I was then told no, I didn't have to pay for him- they would GIVE him to me, or else they may have to put him to sleep since he had become a biter. I COULDN'T have that!! So home he came. It was very trying on the patience for the next 3-4 months thereafter. He would clamp on to my hand & not let go. I was soo ready to give up on more than 1 occasion. NOW- I am am glad I didn't. He is such a baby- full of cuddles & kisses. You'd never know he was a biter when he was young (about 8 weeks old)- he is now a little over 5 years old & the love of my life in the ferret world.
~ My 3rd ferret is Tigger. She is now about 2-3 years old. There was no special reason as to why I got her, just that she looked like a little grey wolf to me (My husband has an indian heritage). She was the only one in the cage & even though I know she would have been sold... I just couldn't walk away & leave here there alone. She is my smallest little girls, even though she is not the youngest.
~ My 4th was Winnie. She is a Champaigne Panda & unfortunately is deaf. She as just barely 2 years old. Another petstore rescue- she just seemed to have a look of help me on my face. We didn't know she was deaf when we got her, but we did sense that something was wrong. She has come a long way in the past year & a half since we found out about her deafness & even thugh I was considering rehoming her... I just could bare to think about someone adopting her & not being able to properly care for her because of her disability. So she will stay with me till her time comes.
~ My 5th & most recent adoption was Mojo. She is 5-6 years old. Her former owner surrendered her to a humane society because he just didn't want her anymore. (there were 2 others with her also- but I didn't have the room to take all 3). Since ferrets are illegal in Hennepin County (at least as far as I know) a kind samaritan who runs a dog shelter/rescue purchased them from the humane society in hopes to rehome them. Again, it was kind of her to do so, but she didn't have the ferret knowledge she should have had to properly care for them. I saw an ad on Petfinder.com for Mojo's sister & was actually interested in her, but sparked with Mojo better when I went to look at them in person.

And here I am today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

I KNOW there are more ferret owners on this board besides me

You can come out of hiding now
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:29 PM

Hi fstybrat,
I tried to send my story this morning but the power went off and I lost it all, so let's try again.

We got our little fuzzie in April 1998 after spending months researching what type of pet would be best for me especially, since I am the one that wanted a pet. Can't say my husband was thrilled with the idea at first, but it didn't take long for him to fall hook-line-and-sinker in love with our little guy once he was in the house.

Our family had been through many years of stress, raising a child with very special needs, and then losing three of our parents in four years. So much sadness had taken its toll on us and I knew I needed something to hold and love and bring joy into my life again. A ferret seemed the perfect choice after much reading, looking, and talking with people.

So off I toodle to the pet store where we had bought all of our previous pocket pets - gerbils, hamsters, degus, etc. (Today, I won't buy a ferret from a pet store, but I wasn't so experienced then, sad to say.) A new litter of kits had just come in and I went back to the store several times to play with them and ask more questions. Finally I made up my mind that it was going to be a ferret for me, and I went into the store and asked the young man who had been caring for the ferrets, since their arrival, which one he would recommend for a first time ferret owner, namely me. He took a tiny little bundle of light colored fur and told me that was the one.

Well, cage and all else purchased, and ferret put into a small travel cage for me, home we went. He looked so forlorn and small in his big new cage, so he spent a lot of time out with me.

We watched him and his antics for a week before deciding that he was a scallywag, and that's what we decided to call him.

Such mischief! I know there were several times during the first couple of weeks when I questioned what I had gotten myself into! But oh, he became the delight of our lives, and he did exactly what I had hoped for - he brought fun and laughter back into our home until not quite five years later he began to seem ill....and it turned out he was. He still brought much joy, but bittersweet in a way becaue we knew then we were losing him, and we finally let him cross the Rainbow Bridge about 9 months later.

How he loved to romp and chase us!! And whenever we left him at the kennel for awhile (as we traveled) he would race around the house checking each room, when brought home, and once making sure no interlopers had taken over his home he would then spend an hour or so doing the ferret war-dance around our feet and clucking at us for leaving him at the kennel.

He loved walks in the woods, and snuffling in the snow, and was always gentle with the neighborhood children.

Now we are looking for another pet. We have mourned the loss of our little Scallywag for the last 18 months - we are so drawn to another ferret, or two, but once again will take our time to determine for sure whether or not that is the right pet for us for where we are in our lives now. I expect I am like many other pet owners with their first real very own pet - Scally was mine, and he was perfect. Will I measure another ferret(s) by him and be disappointed....I hope not. But I know he will always have a most unique and special place in my heart because he brought healing in a time of great sadness and loss, and asked for nothing more than to be loved and cared for in return. What a delight he was, and what special critters ferrets are!!!

Maggie-B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Aww Maggie It is truly amazing at how they can steal a persons heart isn't it!!
Thanks for sharing your story with Scallywag... I hope that if you choose you bring another bundle of joy (or 2 ) into your home again you will have the same joy & love you once had with Scally. (which I'm sure you would )

I love hearing others experiences! Who else is willing to speak up... I know there are more of you out there!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 PM

My first ferret is Stinky who is a standard. She was the climax of a year long pitiful begging to my at the time live in boyfriend (now hubby). I wanted any kind of pet and asked for one daily. My bf was tired of taking care of pets b/c his mom had lots of animals. I didn't want to have a pet without his consent but I needed a fuzzy badly. I can't live without them! Well we went into a pet store one day and he asked what I thought about ferrets. He figured they would be easy to care for since they stayed in a cage. I researched and decided that would be great. So for my birthday that year he took me to a pet store and let me pick her out as my present. We couldn't decide what to name her until she pooed the first time and it STUNK! So Stinky she became. She is about 5 years old now and the biggest cuddle bug.

Next came Blaze who is a blaze (go figure!). I was just looking at a pet store and she was stuck in the back in a dirty cage with no toys. She nipped my finger hard as a greeting and ran away scared. She was about a year old, maybe less. She was returned to the store by someone and must have been mistreated. So she came home with me as a friend for Stinky. She's still crazy as can be but doesn't nip anymore. She's now about 3 years old.

As for my now hubby, he gave in and now loves our zoo as much as I do. We have 2 chocolate labs, 2 ferrets, 2 snakes, a cat, and a Congo African Grey parrot. The cat and the grey are the most recent additions and guess who begged for them?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks buggirl! Have you had any problems with deafness in Blaze? My understanding is they are prone to deafness as are panda's. I'd love to see pictures of your ferts if you have any!

OOOHH A grey!! I'm jelous!! That is my dream bird! I am not ready for it yet though. My hubby already said I can have one. I want to be more knowledgeable first though. It will likely be a couple years yet till I get mine. That's ok though. Do your ferrets ever give your bird grief? I'd be interested in hearing your experience in them co-existing together in the same home. Any pros/cons about it thus far??

Who else is gonna share their story? I know there are more of you! C'mon, don't be shy... we won't bite, I promise
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:29 PM

I was worried that Blaze might have hearing problems but she's just fine. She can definatly hear me hollar "BLAZE" when she gets into stuff!

It's my hubbies dream bird too. He wanted one forever but I thought we had enough in our zoo. But she was a great deal at only $600 from a breeder friend of ours, so I couldn't tell him no. She's only 14 weeks old and we've had her for about 3 weeks. She has completely stolen my heart already. She can already wolf whistle and uses it as a flock call when we are out of the living room.

The bird and the ferrets don't know that the other exists yet. The ferts have their own room so they don't come into the living room much unless I'm holding them. The cat and dogs love her b/c she throws them veggie treats. Ever seen a cat eat sweet potatoes or sugar snap peas?!?!?!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

ROFL! My cat eats sugar snap peas & broccoli! Actually I don't think there is anything she doesn't eat -- & here I thought my kitty was the only wierd one.

Sometimes I question Winnie's deafness too- I know she is deaf, but I think she can hear "certain" tones (deeper) cause she responds a little when we yell.

You guys did indeed get a good deal... aren't greys usually around 1200.00 or more?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 01:50 PM

Yep. I saw one at a pet store just the other day for $1400. She was still being weaned and was the smallest of that clutch, so her breeder mommy allowed her to go for a cheap price. She had sold her brothers quickly and to be honest I think she was tired of taking the time out of her day to feed her. She's perfect though!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 10:13 PM

Well, to tell you the truth, I am more of a bird person. I had cockatiels my whole life before ferrets came in. My fiance was buying me a baby cockatiel from the pet store when he saw this cute fuzzy brown thing staring at him through the window. Of course he had to see this fuzzy who one of the workers nicked name "Big Guy" Chris held him and of course we got taken away by this ferret who couldn't stop giving kisses! He begged me to let him get the ferret and I was a little uncertain, because of my birds. Of couse I gave in and now this big ferret is named Buddy! We have had him for about 3 years and he is the best first ferret any one could have. He is very well be-haved and loves kisses!

The second ferret we got was more my decsion and came out of my pocket. We went to the same pet store to look for a ferret friend for Buddy, because he seemed depressed and lonly. We saw this cute tiny little girl just bouncing off the walls! I asked to see her and the minute she was in my arms the frist thing she did was jump at me at chomped on my chin. It was cute and took me away but before we could get her we wanted to make sure Buddy would do ok with her. They hit it off and we named her Jessie she is our runt and most energetic of the family. She keeps everyone on thier toes and she sleeps with us at night. She wakes us up with kisses and keeps Buddy happy! She also enjoys torturing our 11 year old Sheltie, Tasha! We have had Jessie for about two years now.

Our third ferret was adopted through our vet. His previous owner didn't want to deal with him and his sickness anymore and asked the vet to put him to sleep. Well the vet couldn't do that and felt that he had more years in his life. We don't know his exact age but we guessed him to be around 5-6 years of age. He had pancratic tumors and was very ill from it. He is blind and has rear leg weakness. He didn't do anything and it seemed like he didn't have much life in him. We paid for his surgery and he came out fine (still waiting for the fur to grow). After about two weeks from his surgery he started to perk up. Now he just bullys our other two ferrets and sleeps and eats alot! We have had him for about 7 mos. He loves to give kisses and be held.

Sampson is quite pathetic actualy. Its funny when he goes to attack Buddy and then the next thing you know Buddy is kicking his *** and he is screaming and running around the room. Yah, Sampson tends to over exagerate things a bit, You think Buddy was trying to kill him the way he screams!LOL. Of course I have to tell Buddy thats enough, even though Sampson asked for it and then give Sampson some cuddles. Yah he is spoiled! I need to work on his wieght though, he is getting fat in the rear end and I need to put him in an exercise program. Although its funny seeing his FAT BUTT hanging half way out of the bed. I think that Sampson loves Buddy and Jessie though, he just won't admit it! I know they love him, they just wish he wasn't so mean to them sometimes.

Sampson has come around a lot though, when we first had him, he didn't even know his name, he didn't come to a squeaker and well, he really just wasn't trained at all. Now he comes to his name and the squeaker, he still dosn't go in the litter box most of the time, but at least he dosn't nip anymore except at other ferrets! In fact, he is starting to greet us at the door, I feel loved!

Last edited by ILoveFuzzies; 05-06-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Tags
african grey, african grey parrot, chocolate lab, humane society, litter box, pet owner, pet store